The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#296446 - 06/22/20 09:24 PM An Electrifying Post
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
In days of old, lighting equipment in the woods and on the trail was simple. You had a two cell flashlight with D batteries and if you planned ahead, spare batts.

Nowadays, there are lots of options - different, smaller but brighter lights, different battery chemistries, and all sorts of options. It is even more complex with the adoption of the cell phone and other critical electronics. your cell is also your camera, your timepiece, and a whole lot of other useful functions. It is something you want to keep charged while in the back woods.

Time for the power bank, a big batteries whose electrons can be downloaded into the device of your choosing, provided you have planned ahead. Over time, I have acquired quite a few, as I am sure many of us have. they all will replenish my cell phone, and also my headlamps. all that I have encountered sport a flashlight as a secondary function, so I also have backup lighting. One will even work as a hand warmer. The great advantage is that I can allot my spare electrons to either the cell phone or the light, as the situation demands.

One of my faves is a Goal Zero Mini Lighthouse, original version, whih is a very capable general illumination lantern, with replaceable GZ proprietary 3000 Mah rechargeable batteries. Tuck in an extra battery or two, or perhaps a solar panel, and I have as much electricity as I want.

The next step is to include a rechargeable GPS device into the system. I am sure others are exploring the potential in this new and evolving technology. What do you find useful and worthwhile?

Edited by hikermor (06/22/20 09:48 PM)

#296461 - 06/23/20 06:06 PM Re: An Electrifying Post [Re: hikermor]
Famdoc Offline

Loc: PA
Someone who loves me, who also came up with our family motto, "Excisto Paratus", bought me a Big Blue Solar 28 watt foldable solar panel, about $70:
https://www.amazon.com/BigBlue-Charger-D...31297&psc=1

Separately purchased was a battery charger for AAA/AA/C/D/9V cells/batteries with a 12 volt input that plugs into the solar panel. about $20:
https://www.amazon.com/Batteries-Charger...47411&psc=1

For the reason that it will run off standard or rechargeable D Cells, I like the UST 30 day lanterns ($40): https://www.amazon.com/UST-Portable-Life...23327&psc=1

UST also makes lanterns that will run on AA cells.

I also have a couple of the LUCI solar lights, available at Sierra Trading Post and other sources. I just leave them deflated on our south facing window sills, for continuous charging and ready access. I've given them as gifts to our children's families and they have been much appreciated when the power goes out, or for camping: https://mpowerd.com/collections/our-lineup

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.