Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#295315 - 03/20/20 06:34 PM Sew your own masks
teacher Offline
Old Hand

Just saw a link for sewing your own surgical type masks.
Usual caveats apply

#295335 - 03/21/20 02:25 AM Re: Sew your own masks [Re: teacher]
clearwater Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Channeled Scablands
"The 100 Million Mask Challenge"
https://www.providence.org/lp/100m-masks

I run a cut and sew business. When I tried to contact them about helping, they said "Thanks to an overwhelming response from our community, all kits we are producing have been claimed!"

I think it is just a method of advertising and to pour hot coals on the heads of state for their uselessness. But maybe a million people "sewed like the wind today".

Edited by clearwater (03/21/20 02:26 AM)

#295353 - 03/21/20 09:32 PM Re: Sew your own masks [Re: clearwater]
nursemike Offline
Old Hand

Loc: wellington, fl

Might want to sew some up on spec: I think that people are going to be wanting masks for a year or so, and the health industry is going to be sucking up the N95 production. Designer masks got big right after SARS passed through.

#295381 - 03/23/20 01:11 AM Re: Sew your own masks [Re: teacher]
clearwater Offline
Old Hand

Everyone should be wearing them when out and about say the experts.

"Make masks ubiquitous"

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/22/health/coronavirus-restrictions-us.html

#295390 - 03/23/20 04:34 PM Re: Sew your own masks [Re: teacher]
Michael2 Offline
Journeyman

Yes, but note that according to that article, the reason for wearing masks is more psychological than medical (at least as far as healthy people wearing them is concerned):

"American experts have divided opinions about masks, but those who have worked in Asia see their value.

There is very little data showing that flat surgical masks protect healthy individuals from disease. Nonetheless, Asian countries generally encourage people wear them. In some cities in China where masks are compulsory, the police even used drones to chase individuals down streets, ordering them to go home and mask up.

The Asian approach is less about data than it is about crowd psychology, experts explained.

All experts agree that the sick must wear masks to keep in their coughs. But if a mask indicates that the wearer is sick, many people will be reluctant to wear one. If everyone is required to wear masks, the sick automatically have one on and there is no stigma attached.

#295394 - 03/23/20 05:51 PM Re: Sew your own masks [Re: Michael2]
clearwater Offline
Old Hand

So your point?

#295401 - 03/23/20 06:31 PM Re: Sew your own masks [Re: teacher]
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

In parts of Asia, people think as groups and less as an individual. There are a-symptomatic people that can spread the disease. So if everybody wears a mask, so are the sick and a-symptomatic people.

#295405 - 03/23/20 07:44 PM Re: Sew your own masks [Re: clearwater]
Michael2 Offline
Journeyman

Originally Posted By: clearwater
So your point?

My point is that there's a lot of confusion out there, and simply saying, "The experts say we should wear masks," adds to that confusion if you don't include the context.

It is, in fact, counterproductive, if anyone who reads it thinks that it means wearing a surgical mask in public will protect them.

The article is making a complicated argument: if everyone wears a mask in public, then sick people will not be embarrassed if they also wear a mask in public. And it is the sick people who need to wear masks, to protect others.

#295406 - 03/23/20 09:39 PM Re: Sew your own masks [Re: teacher]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
Saying that everyone should be mandated to do something they don't need, just so those who do need to do it won't be embarrassed, is ridiculous. And a horrendous waste of resources and money.

#295410 - 03/23/20 10:23 PM Re: Sew your own masks [Re: haertig]
nursemike Offline
Old Hand

Loc: wellington, fl
Don't focus on the actual effectiveness of wearing masks. Turns out that they are not all that effective for health care workers, who have years of education and socialization about proper isolation discipline. Masks are really annoying, and the whole ritual of donning and doffing is tedious, so lots of HCW are sloppy. Civilians using masks will be even sloppier and less compliant.

But wearing masks is a virtue signal. If you have a mask, you are conscious of the risk of infection and are doing your best to protect yourself and those around you. It's like asking a new acquaintance what their pronouns are, to avoid offending the non-binary gender-fluid by imposing your hetero-normative gender bias upon them.

It's like gang colors, or a tactical backpack, or driving a Jeep: makes you look like one of the cool kids, even if you haven't done the work of being cool.

Lots of the public health advice has a blend of science and social psychology influences: note that the CDC now recommends re-use of disposable masks, use of outdated masks, and substitution of field expedient masks like bandannas for HCW who cannot access N95's. If their surveyors had found me doing this in my ER, they would have cut my parts off.
Which might have changed my pronouns.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.