Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#292685 - 07/04/19 07:19 PM Cell phone will (likely) not save you...
teacher Offline
Old Hand

One of the things that I have to tell folks going out on an adventure is that their phone may - or may not - help.

Because you need most of these things :
1. Is it on?
2. Do you have power?
3. Do you have coverage?
4. Do you know where you are?
5. is it dry/working/up to date?
6. Do you know how to access and use its features?

#292688 - 07/04/19 09:38 PM Re: Cell phone will (likely) not save you... [Re: teacher]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Cell phones are not a guaranteed item that will help you, or all the reasons mentioned, but my reading of SAR events, now as compared to the pre-SAR era, is that cells often initiate and facilitate rescue operations.

A call comes in from the victim(s) in the field, giving their location, or at least landmarks, and the situation. This is way better than the call we used to receive from someone who could only tell us that Joe was overdue and he went out hiking somewhere....

Most cells have GPS capability, and, if not, their approximate position can be roughly determined from the cell towers involved (so I am told - I know zilch about the technology involved).

#292696 - 07/05/19 10:54 AM Re: Cell phone will (likely) not save you... [Re: teacher]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
hikermor, all modern cellphones with GPS report their location regularly to the carrier. If there are no GPS coordinates for any reason (or if the carrier doesn’t have the data any more), most of the time the carriers can tell which cell tower the phone was connected to, reducing the area to search. The police can ask the carrier to “ping” a specific cellphone if they’re looking for someone, for the same sort of result, if the phone is turned on and in range of a tower. If more than one tower is in range, the “ping” can result in a much better location estimate.

#292707 - 07/07/19 02:00 PM Re: Cell phone will (likely) not save you... [Re: teacher]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

Always use good planning and good sense in addition to high tech tools. Placing yourself in a position where you are completely dependent on 1 tool or devices never a good thing. Leave a plan of your trip with someone who will actually follow up when necessary. Think through your trip, know what is possible and be equipped properly. Knowledge, skill and good planning should never be replaced by devices.

#292708 - 07/07/19 02:49 PM Re: Cell phone will (likely) not save you... [Re: chaosmagnet]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
hikermor, all modern cellphones with GPS report their location regularly to the carrier. If there are no GPS coordinates for any reason (or if the carrier doesn’t have the data any more), most of the time the carriers can tell which cell tower the phone was connected to, reducing the area to search. The police can ask the carrier to “ping” a specific cellphone if they’re looking for someone, for the same sort of result, if the phone is turned on and in range of a tower. If more than one tower is in range, the “ping” can result in a much better location estimate.

True, if that function is selected. I have location services disabled on my iPhone so the only time my GPS location would be sent is if I called 9-1-1 (E-911). Also true for my dumbphone — supposedly 4G-LTE, but with no additional apps available it’s dumber than my 2009 Blackberry and only sends loc data to 911. Pinging is another matter entirely; IMO James Kim’s tragic loss brought phone pinging the attention it deserved.

#292710 - 07/07/19 05:32 PM Re: Cell phone will (likely) not save you... [Re: teacher]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
You’re not entirely correct, Russ. You cannot turn location services all the way off for 911 or for carrier tracking on any smartphone, to the best of my knowledge. Turning it off keeps apps from having your location, not the carrier.

#292713 - 07/07/19 06:37 PM Re: Cell phone will (likely) not save you... [Re: chaosmagnet]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
In the case of 9-1-1 you are correct, E-911 is always on, afaik there is no opt-out. As for the carrier getting a GPS location from the phone, anything is possible I suppose.

#292716 - 07/07/19 10:31 PM Re: Cell phone will (likely) not save you... [Re: teacher]
teacher Offline
Old Hand

I am amazed at the number of people who go boating WITHOUT having a waterproof cell phone case.

#294072 - 11/06/19 09:47 PM Re: Cell phone will (likely) not save you... [Re: teacher]
teacher Offline
Old Hand

Cell phones -- and coverage- should be considerable reliable, but not perfect. Have a back-up comm plan.

#294075 - 11/06/19 10:10 PM Re: Cell phone will (likely) not save you... [Re: teacher]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
I am thinking of getting a Garmin Mini Inreach. It pairs with a cellphone via Bluetooth and links you to the Iridium Satellite Constellation, allowing two way communication by text message anywhere in Earth with a view of the sky.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.