The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#293193 - 09/01/19 02:46 AM Total Cost of Survival Items
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Inspired by the revival of the "Survival Gear under $30," I wondered which items cost more than $30, and what the total cost of my survival gear was.

Of the sixteen items I carry in what i dub as my "core bag, only one cost more than $30. I was surprised at the total cost, which was $280.I did spend significant bucks on the headlamp in this kit, a Zabralight model which accepts lithium-ion batteries as well as more conventional ones - total $78.50. Everything else was $25, or less. I did not add it expendables, loke Via packets, Esbit tabs, and the like. I also did not add in the cost of relevant topo maps, an absolute necessity.

When I am out and about, I carry this core bag, plus a decent FAK, and water, either in canteens or a bladder, amount depending on conditions.

I have used all of these items at one time or another, and I am confident they could see through an unexpected night or two.

This stuff comes in handy all sorts of ways. Last week I was investigating some prehistoric burial sites in company with two fine native American gentlemen and it came about that we needed to burn some sage to honor the dead. They had the sage, but guess who had the only lighter - my trusty Bic safeguarded in an Exotac holder

#293195 - 09/01/19 05:11 AM Re: Total Cost of Survival Items [Re: hikermor]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
I have added a Helikon-Tex Swagman Roll to my kit at a cost of $125. Where I hike and camp the nighttime lows are generally around 35F to 40F even in the summer and I learned the hard way to carry a warm layer! It's basically a poncho/woobie kind of thing.

Most of the rest of the items I carry are relatively inexpensive. I do keep a $100 multi-tool and a $90 ESEE knife clipped to the exterior of my bag. I suppose they're "survival items" in a sense but they're just items I wind up needing often.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 295 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.