Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#292040 - 03/24/19 01:34 PM Go or Stay ? An interesting informal discussion
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...

Edited by Byrd_Huntr (03/24/19 01:35 PM)

#292045 - 03/24/19 09:22 PM Re: Go or Stay ? An interesting informal discussion [Re: Byrd_Huntr]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
At 5:28 in the video the man with the grey beard mentioned Ocala National Forest and how bad it is there. I'm within a fifteen-minute road trip and I can vouch that the man speaks the truth. That is where the homeless population goes because no one else wants to go there. The fact no one else goes there works out for the homeless because no one will bug them. That and there's a lake which provides clean water and fish.

A place with clean water and fish sounds like an ideal place in an impoverished situation. When you have city folk moving in on a homeless city of approximately 50,000 people, there will be a problem because the homeless city has already staked out and know the land.

There's plenty of property, which is a good thing; if you want to avoid problems, you need to settle for land that even the homeless don't want.

I agree with the comment on tribes. People survive as a tribe and not as a bunch of lone rangers. For that reason, I believe it is best to stay because I live in a gated community. Can I trust everybody in our community to watch each other's back? No; right now it's the only tribe I have I have.

Jeanette Isabelle

#292436 - 06/09/19 12:26 PM Re: Go or Stay ? An interesting informal discussion [Re: Byrd_Huntr]
WesleyH Offline

Loc: Unknown
Jeanette,

Regarding the stay or go situation, I noticed you mentioned you live in a gated community. I would only add one kudo. Most gated communities are only gated to prevent street access. Some do have fencing around areas visible to main roads. BUT often, if the back up to a wooded or undeveloped area, that side is wide open.

In the event of such a situation, it is reasonable to assume people will exit the city if they can, and homeless or other undesirables would easily enter gated areas if they back up to such wooded or undeveloped areas.

#292451 - 06/11/19 06:25 PM Re: Go or Stay ? An interesting informal discussion [Re: WesleyH]
Carpal Tunnel

To the best of my knowledge, there is a tall, chainlink fence around the community. In either case, we have a second means of defense: location. We are ten miles away from the city and part of the county where there are many gated communities. Ours, I think, is the second largest.

For people to travel a minimum of ten miles to ransack houses, they would have to go through a lot of houses to get to us.

Jeanette Isabelle

#292458 - 06/12/19 03:49 AM Re: Go or Stay ? An interesting informal discussion [Re: Byrd_Huntr]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
What precisely is meant by how "bad" the National Forest is? I am not at all amiliar with the Ocala, but in my experience, NFs are generally rather pleasant places, albeit a tad rustic,,,

#292466 - 06/12/19 12:44 PM Re: Go or Stay ? An interesting informal discussion [Re: hikermor]
Carpal Tunnel

I have not been there. I can only tell you what I heard. The government bought I don't know how many square miles of swampland in Florida; it's a lot. I think it was in the thousands, not positive. Since it can't be used for anything, some of it was turned into parks or some other form of recreation.

I don't know how much of the Ocala National Forest includes swampland. I have heard good things about it and people did buy vacation homes in that area. That was in the distant past.

I understand there were some economic troubles in that part of the state; that alone would not make it go downhill as it did. Something terrible would have to happen for everybody to abandon a nearby town and vacation homes, especially the vacation homes.

Jeanette Isabelle

#292468 - 06/12/19 01:48 PM Re: Go or Stay ? An interesting informal discussion [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I guess neither of us has any specific knowledge of the Ocala NF. I prefer that national forests of the mountainous west, so I will remain that way.

About vacation homes. Many years ago, the Forest Service offered long term leases on lots where vacation homes could be built. This practice was halted (around 1970 or so) and the leases are no longer available, hence no vacation homes are being built.

I suspect that the land incorporated into the NF was ederal land - public domain - and very little purchasing was involved. That is certainly the usual case.

Swamplands actually are useful - they are an integral part of ecosystems which sustain our planet and its life forms. But that discussion is for another thread.

#292469 - 06/12/19 03:45 PM Re: Go or Stay ? An interesting informal discussion [Re: Byrd_Huntr]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

There is a lot of food and purifiable water in a swamp ecosystem. It can be an obstacle to movement but not a hindrance to survival.

#292470 - 06/12/19 04:30 PM Re: Go or Stay ? An interesting informal discussion [Re: hikermor]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: hikermor
Swamplands actually are useful - they are an integral part of ecosystems which sustain our planet and its life forms. But that discussion is for another thread.

I should have worded it differently. Swampland is essential for our environment.

Swampland can't be used for agriculture or development. Neither should it be used for those purposes.

Jeanette Isabelle

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 281 Guests and 31 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.