Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#290979 - 10/29/18 09:40 PM Crews rescue two puppies from Mission cliff
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
A local SAR team west of where I live rescued a couple of pups over the weekend.

Heart warming story and is an excellent way of demonstrating that SAR searches are not always about finding and saving people.

The search was initiated after some locals heard the puppies up in the cliffs then made some phone calls which ultimately led to SAR team being called to find and rescue the pups. Once again, SAR made the right decision as highlighted below.

“It’s day four that I’ve been listening to them whining and crying. They’re obviously in distress,” said Emma Wilfert, who lives nearby. “They’re howling and crying all day until dusk.”

She and her dad trekked out into the thick forest to try and figure out where the dogs were, and pinpointed them near the top of a high cliff that she knew she couldn’t climb.

“They’re going to need proper climbing equipment to rappel down and get to them,” she said.

The canines weren’t exactly the usual targets of Mission Search and Rescue, which is normally tasked by the RCMP to get to people stuck in the wilderness.

But the volunteers recognized if they didn’t go, someone else in the area might. And if that person got stuck in the thick forest, the crews would be called out anyway.

“It’s always a concern for us as search and rescue. We want to make sure the public is safe,” said SAR manager Dean Osen.

Similar post I shared 6 years ago, with the same reasoning why SAR rescued the dog:

Tim Jones, of North Shore Search and Rescue said volunteers, most of them strangers to Ohly’s human family, were determined to rescue the dog themselves. “This was a serious public safety concern,” said Jones. “If we hadn’t gone looking for that dog we would have had a rescue or a body recovery.”

To rescue a dog

John Lubbock

#290980 - 10/29/18 10:24 PM Re: Crews rescue two puppies from Mission cliff [Re: Teslinhiker]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
... and it’s the right thing to do. Good article, thanks.

#290981 - 10/30/18 02:54 AM Re: Crews rescue two puppies from Mission cliff [Re: Russ]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
+1!! It keeps the SAR unit active and generates much good will. A dog rescue we performed years ago got us a voluntary donation which was the largest we received for well over a decade...

#290982 - 10/30/18 11:27 AM Re: Crews rescue two puppies from Mission cliff [Re: Teslinhiker]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Yay! Doggos are safe! grin

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 456 Guests and 71 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.