The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#289211 - 06/05/18 04:04 PM Don't Reveal Your Cards While Prepping
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
How do we discuss prepping on the Internet without revealing our cards? I imagine every ETS member is a prepper. I don't need to worry about what you know about me. Potentially anyone can see what I post and, if they have the skills, can at least track me to my gated community.

How do we discuss needed information without worrying about zombies and two-legged predators?

Jeanette Isabelle

#289213 - 06/05/18 05:39 PM Re: Don't Reveal Your Cards While Prepping [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
quick_joey_small Offline
Addict

Loc: UK
Jeanette wrote

> I imagine every ETS member is a prepper

Why do you think that? In reality people work together after disasters. If you think society is about to collapse then ok (and if say you were in Baghdad in 2003, you'd have been right).
But how many of us are in that situation?
A collapse so serious people start turning on each other is very rare.
Living as I do in sleepy, mild weathered, politically stable England I can think of no reason to be one.
As you say it seems a contradiction to publicise being a prepper. If you believe 'the starving mobs' will be looking for food, guess who they are going to head towards first?

And the idea of fortifying yourself seems ludicrous. If you never leave the house, maybe. Otherwise any predators will simply wait till you are outside it and bump you off. In the US where these imagined hoards can get hold of guns, even never going out isn't going to help.
Prepping in the sense of getting loads of guns and sitting out armageddon seems a fantasy for people who want to imagine they are mad max. If they really believed it was going to happen, being known as a prepper is the last thing they'd want.
qjs

#289214 - 06/05/18 06:59 PM Re: Don't Reveal Your Cards While Prepping [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
M_a_x Offline
Veteran

Loc: Germany
Originally Posted By: Jeanette_Isabelle
I imagine every ETS member is a prepper.

Probably you are wrong about it. I would not consider myself as a prepper in the usual sense. Maybe others wont either.

I don't need to worry about what you know about me.

That may be true for the majority. There might be some sheep with darker wool in the flock (just a prudent assumption, no actual evidence). Then there are the guests and spiders.

IMHO networks like Facebook are much better hunting grounds than ETS anywhere. People there share much more info that can be used to track and evaluate them.

If you worry, categorize information and potential zombies and two-legged predators. Select the info you share accordingly.
Be realistic about the actual risk though.
The greater risk may be lurk in your vicinity anyway. Neighbors tend to spread sensitive info carelessly.
PS: If you are serious about not sharing too much personal info, your name IRL contains neither Jeanette nor Isabelle.

#289215 - 06/05/18 07:13 PM Re: Don't Reveal Your Cards While Prepping [Re: quick_joey_small]
M_a_x Offline
Veteran

Loc: Germany
Originally Posted By: quick_joey_small
In the US where these imagined hoards can get hold of guns, ...

Thatīs not limited to the US. In Germany the Police confiscates full auto guns occassionally - not exactly something that can be aquired legally there (and maybe in many places in the US).

#289216 - 06/05/18 11:19 PM Re: Don't Reveal Your Cards While Prepping [Re: quick_joey_small]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: quick_joey_small
Why do you think that? In reality people work together after disasters. If you think society is about to collapse then ok (and if say you were in Baghdad in 2003, you'd have been right).
But how many of us are in that situation?
A collapse so serious people start turning on each other is very rare.

In 2017 I thought something significant would happen that year. It didn't. Moreover, I don't see anything happening any time soon. It's times like these when nothing's happening that a rotating stock should be topped off.

Jeanette Isabelle

#289217 - 06/05/18 11:33 PM Re: Don't Reveal Your Cards While Prepping [Re: M_a_x]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: M_a_x
If you worry, categorize information and potential zombies and two-legged predators. Select the info you share accordingly.

You mean filter the information I provide? I did that last year in two threads I started. There was information I withheld that, potentially, could have changed the direction of the conversations.

I had to withhold information and as a potential result, the responses I received were built on a lack of information.

Jeanette Isabelle

#289219 - 06/06/18 08:06 AM Re: Don't Reveal Your Cards While Prepping [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
quick_joey_small Offline
Addict

(mad) Max wrote:

> Thatīs not limited to the US. In Germany the Police confiscates full auto guns occassionally - not exactly something that can be aquired legally there (and maybe in many places in the US).

Good Point! If it really is a total collapse what are you going to do when a local rogue national guard unit turns up? Got anything to stop a mortar?

I saw a preppers programme and they were testing their container home against .22 rifles.
Sorry the opposition doesn't chose their arnaments based on what will be no use against you.

qjs

#289220 - 06/06/18 08:57 AM Re: Don't Reveal Your Cards While Prepping [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

Potentially anyone can see what I post and, if they have the skills, can at least track me to my gated community.

If they have the skills and are willing to rob people during times of crisis, they will use their skills for more profitable enterprises than getting your meager supply of stuff. It really sounds like you guys could use a class on being better criminals.

I'm not worried at all. What do you guys know about me that's worth taking? I have a log that I'm trying to suspend horizontally?

#289222 - 06/06/18 11:32 AM Re: Don't Reveal Your Cards While Prepping [Re: Bingley]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Bingley
It really sounds like you guys could use a class on being better criminals.

The only thing I'm good at is laundering money.

Jeanette Isabelle

#289223 - 06/06/18 11:51 AM Re: Don't Reveal Your Cards While Prepping [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
quick_joey_small Offline
Addict

> The only thing I'm good at is laundering money.

You probably just shut down your own thread.
Discussion of illegal activites is not allowed on this website.

qjs

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.