Doug's Emergency 911 post also got me to thinking.

Again 30+ years field medic.... PLEASE... help 'me' find you!

First... post LARGE numbers on your house, mail box etc. If you have a roadside mailbox then put 3 inch high numbers on BOTH sides so that we can see them from either direction. 1 inch high numbers are almost WORTHLESS. Especially at night. Look at your house. How BOLD are your numbers? Remember that someone who has probably never been to your house has to find it QUICKLY. Are your numbers hidden....even a little. Even just a small portion of a bush can make it nearly impossible to find you. I am planning on doing something I saw in a mobile home park... they painted the address on the roadside edge of the driveway. Hard to miss that.

I've responded to apartments that have 3 separate areas to go to for ONE building number! And of course they DON'T put the apartment numbers at the entrances, so we have to stop at each and get out to physically look...taking up precious time.

Also think about how we might get in if NO ONE can open to door for us. Go to you local hardware store or order online a 'realtor lock box'. They are only about 30 dollars and you can change the code any time you want. You can tell the 911 operator the code and we can get in without having to break anything. I have one on our house and one for the in laws.