Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#287311 - 12/12/17 03:54 PM building in a fire zone
clearwater Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Channeled Scablands
Like building in a flood plain, many people are building in historic fire zones.

The Thomas fire and the fire in Santa Rosa follow paths of previous fires.

When deciding where to live, one should check all natural and historic hazards.

Nearby military bases are proving to be another hazard with drinking water an issue too.

Edited by clearwater (12/12/17 03:55 PM)

#287312 - 12/12/17 04:24 PM Re: building in a fire zone [Re: clearwater]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Originally Posted By: clearwater
Like building in a flood plain, many people are building in historic fire zones.

The Thomas fire and the fire in Santa Rosa follow paths of previous fires.

When deciding where to live, one should check all natural and historic hazards.

Agreed,learn about the predictable hazards when choosing a place to plant your flag. Thing is, I don't believe there is anywhere on this planet that is hazard free. It is simply a matter of picking your problem. Fires, either wild land or building, are probably as close to a "universal hazard" as there is.

I live near a predictable fire zone. However, hurricanes and tornadoes, as well as heavy snowfall, are not an issue. 200 feet above sea level, tsunamis are not a big concern. Earthquakes, however, are a definite likelihood and I prepare for them - frames house securely bolted to foundation, water heater secured, emergency supplies stashed, extrication tools handy in the bedroom, trained in first aid, etc.

Nowhere is completely safe. Learn your local hazard profile and adapt. With the nearby chaparral burned off, I should be secure from wildfire for he next ten years or so, if I live that long....

#287326 - 12/14/17 03:49 AM Re: building in a fire zone [Re: clearwater]
Pete Offline
Veteran

noticeable comment from firefighters in CA over the last couple of days ...

when the fire moves to dry canyons - ravines with steep walls, lots of dry grass and brush, and no water in the canyon - it is IMPOSSIBLE to fight the fire there. The firefighters are not even trying. The burning grass in the canyon creates a funnel effect, which strengthens the wind blast and increases the severity of the flames. The firefighters are skipping those locations, and trying to save structures in other lower-risk zones.

So one of the morals is - DON'T live, or build, near a canyon with a lot of dry grass and brush.

#287327 - 12/14/17 04:26 AM Re: building in a fire zone [Re: Pete]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Currently, fire fighters on the Thomas Fire are focusing on a couple of prominent canyons on the outskirts of Montecito/Santa Barbara that have been the scene of fatal incidents in the past and they are proceeding very cautiously as they venture into that terrain. Aerial attack is a big help in situations like this..

#287357 - 12/16/17 06:18 AM Re: building in a fire zone [Re: clearwater]
WesleyH Offline

Loc: Unknown
With the annual fires, it amazes me that the insurance companies continue to issue policies to anyone building in such areas. I suspect if they would stop, the problem would take care of itself in a few years.

Such fires are as predictable as the tides.

#287374 - 12/16/17 04:56 PM Re: building in a fire zone [Re: WesleyH]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-norcal-socal-firestorms-20171216-htmlstory.html

An interesting article contrasting the response in SoCal, based on lessons learned from the earlier fires up north, particularly evident in the far fewer fatalities down here.

Lots of people are proposing a broader examination of the wild fire problem and suggesting different strategic approaches - more fire standards, denying construction in untenable areas, and the like.

Locally, most of the homes torched in the Thomas Fire were high value, nicely situated on ridges with nice ocean views. Insurance companies aren't stupid(not entirely anyway). I'll bet they charge a higher premium for building in undefendable areas.

Meanwhile, we could really use some rain. They aren't predicting control of the TF until 2018....

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 253 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.