Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#284820 - 06/23/17 03:09 AM Missing father and son found dead
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Very sad story...a pair of missing hikers, a father and son, were found dead in Carlsbad Caverns. From the story:

The extraordinary heat wave gripping the western United States has so far been blamed for at least four deaths, authorities said Wednesday.

The bodies of Robert Stuart Pluta, 57, and his son Bobby, 21, of Corpus Christi, Texas, were discovered Monday and Tuesday respectively, in Carlsbad Caverns National Park in New Mexico, where daily high temperatures have topped 100 degrees for almost a week, New Mexico State Police said Wednesday.

The Plutas, both of whom were experienced hikers, had been on a hiking trip since Wednesday of last week but hadn't been heard from since they checked into their hotel, NBC station KRIS of Corpus Christi reported. A parkwide search was launched on Monday.

Apparently they took a father-son trip over Father's Day and had been out of contact for a couple of days. Not a lot of details but presumably lack of water and heat combined to kill them. It's a sad case but a reminder to everyone to be especially careful in extremely hot weather.

#284821 - 06/23/17 12:21 PM Re: Missing father and son found dead [Re: Phaedrus]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Definitely not enough information from which to draw meaningful conclusions.

But when temps get as high as the southwest us is experiencing, it is time to change your normal outdoor patterns

#284825 - 06/24/17 04:13 AM Re: Missing father and son found dead [Re: Phaedrus]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Yeah, we'll probably never get much for details about what went wrong. Did they get lost? Were they undone by a mechanical injury? The bodies were found one day apart so my guess (if I had to guess) that one of them was physically unable to continue and the other attempted to hike out to get help. Deaths on a routine nature outing are always tragic, I just hope that if nothing else we can learn from their story to help others avoid such a fate.

I'm a woods kind of guy. I'd be a fish out of water in the desert. So I'd probably carry as much water as I could manage. Still if you got seriously turned around and lost the water would go pretty fast.

#284826 - 06/24/17 12:10 PM Re: Missing father and son found dead [Re: Phaedrus]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
So sad!!!!!!!

Personal Locator Beacon, $250, provides rescue just about anywhere on the planet.

Then again, they may not have even survived until rescue came.

Sigh

#284830 - 06/24/17 05:28 PM Re: Missing father and son found dead [Re: Phaedrus]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
You probably don't even need the $250 in the United States, and definitely not in a National Park. Also helpful is a good map, signalling devices, and plenty of water or nowledge of a good source,,,

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.