Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#283534 - 01/25/17 01:11 PM Second Rescue Same Spot - Can't Fix Stupid, But...
Doug_Ritter Online   happy

Pooh-Bah

Two men requiring SAR rescue...in about the same place where they were rescued once before. No equipment--naturally! An avalanche was caused and one of the rescuers was slammed into a tree and required hospitalization. Needless to say, this isn't totally over, for those in the county are discussing the issue.

http://www.steamboattoday.com/news/2017/jan/23/county-commissioners-frustrated-men-rescued-fish-c/
Chairman & Executive Director
Equipped To Survive Foundation
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

#283537 - 01/25/17 04:49 PM Re: Second Rescue Same Spot - Can't Fix Stupid, But... [Re: Doug_Ritter]
clearwater Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Channeled Scablands
Not having Avi training and gear when skiing the back country is like giving a big middle finger to partners and rescue agencies. What those boneheads should do now is volunteer time and money for the SAR.

Sounds too like SAR could use more training.

#283542 - 01/25/17 09:31 PM Re: Second Rescue Same Spot - Can't Fix Stupid, But... [Re: Doug_Ritter]
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Southern California
There was a program a while back that required rescue victims, who broke laws and ignored warnings to get into a situation where they needed rescue, to serve as avalanche victims during SAR training exercises? I'm sorry, but I forgot exactly where it took place.

This seems like an excellent opportunity to pound some sense into these guys while benefitting future rescue victims.

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane

#283547 - 01/26/17 01:34 PM Re: Second Rescue Same Spot - Can't Fix Stupid, But... [Re: Doug_Ritter]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
I don't get this at all. Experience has always been my best prep teacher. Every time a situation I was unprepared for came up, I then on was prepped for that situation.

I'll give an example. I began prepping when I was a child. It happened in the checkout line of a grocery store when suddenly I needed to sneeze. All I had were my two hands. Fortunately a woman, also in the checkout line, handed me a Kleenex. Then on I had a Kleenex Pocket Pack on my person when I left the house.

Jeanette Isabelle

#283555 - 01/26/17 09:53 PM Re: Second Rescue Same Spot - Can't Fix Stupid, But... [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Southern California
Originally Posted By: Jeanette_Isabelle
I don't get this at all. Experience has always been my best prep teacher. Every time a situation I was unprepared for came up, I then on was prepped for that situation.

I'll give an example. I began prepping when I was a child. It happened in the checkout line of a grocery store when suddenly I needed to sneeze. All I had were my two hands. Fortunately a woman, also in the checkout line, handed me a Kleenex. Then on I had a Kleenex Pocket Pack on my person when I left the house.

Jeanette Isabelle

Different learned lesson. Your experience was that having a random stranger hand you a Kleenex when you needed it was an aberration. Most people don't carry Kleenex with them, so you were lucky. Your takeaway was that you will need to sneeze in the future, but it's unlikely that there will be a random stranger with a handy Kleenex, so you need to now carry Kleenex for sneezing. Their experience was that they were rescued from the same predicament last time, so they will be rescued from the same predicament in the future. They didn't take into account that SAR is not always available or successful.

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane

#283557 - 01/27/17 12:17 AM Re: Second Rescue Same Spot - Can't Fix Stupid, But... [Re: Mark_R]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Mark_R
Different learned lesson.

Their experience was that they were rescued from the same predicament last time, so they will be rescued from the same predicament in the future.

If you put it that way, they did not learn a thing. Or, if they learned anything, it was the wrong lesson.

Jeanette Isabelle

#283558 - 01/27/17 12:59 AM Re: Second Rescue Same Spot - Can't Fix Stupid, But... [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
EMPnotImplyNuclear Offline
Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: Jeanette_Isabelle
Originally Posted By: Mark_R
Different learned lesson.

Their experience was that they were rescued from the same predicament last time, so they will be rescued from the same predicament in the future.

If you put it that way, they did not learn a thing. Or, if they learned anything, it was the wrong lesson.

Jeanette Isabelle

Hi,
Or they learned the "easy" lesson? laugh

#283559 - 01/27/17 07:38 AM Re: Second Rescue Same Spot - Can't Fix Stupid, But... [Re: clearwater]
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: clearwater
Not having Avi training and gear when skiing the back country is like giving a big middle finger to partners and rescue agencies. What those boneheads should do now is volunteer time and money for the SAR.

Sounds too like SAR could use more training.

well not sure if it's a finger to the resceu'ers. It is however just plain stupid. It's not like you get rescue alive if you are buried in a avalanch without any avi gear.

I do see lots of people having no avalanch equipment/knowledge going off-piste and thinking it's safe because; 'there are tracks', 'it's close to the ski lift', 'never seen a avalanch here', etc. Even clear terrain traps are ignored.

#283561 - 01/27/17 02:11 PM Re: Second Rescue Same Spot - Can't Fix Stupid, But... [Re: Tjin]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I believe there is such a thing as a "SAR paradox" - the operations of a proficient SAR unit can, in some individuals, actually foster unsafe behavior, because never worry, never fear, search and rescue will soon be here.

I was actually told by one victim we had just extricated that he was very glad we were around, because otherwise he would not be venturing into the back country....

#283565 - 01/27/17 05:29 PM Re: Second Rescue Same Spot - Can't Fix Stupid, But... [Re: hikermor]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: hikermor
I believe there is such a thing as a "SAR paradox" - the operations of a proficient SAR unit can, in some individuals, actually foster unsafe behavior, because never worry, never fear, search and rescue will soon be here.

I was actually told by one victim we had just extricated that he was very glad we were around, because otherwise he would not be venturing into the back country....

Maybe I'm too independent; I don't understand this line of thinking. When I lived in Dallas I had everything I needed in a big city (on my person or in the car) when I left the house. I did not call someone for each incident. I did what I could with the gear and knowledge I had.

Then again I lived in a big city and did not venture out. For me a "back country experience" was going to the Cedar Ridge Nature Preserve or Cedar Hill State Park.

Jeanette Isabelle

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 388 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
Yesterday at 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.