The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#280060 - 03/22/16 12:32 AM Emily, the rescue robot
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Just listening to a story on NPR about this gadget - looks like an interesting high tech development

http://emilyrobot.com/

How long before the St Bernard robot?

#280065 - 03/22/16 05:41 AM Re: Emily, the rescue robot [Re: hikermor]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Very cool! It looks like a very useful device.

#280070 - 03/23/16 05:26 AM Re: Emily, the rescue robot [Re: hikermor]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Since high school days, I have imagined someday we would all have a personal assistant robot (PAR) as an EDC of sorts. Rather, such a device would tag along beside us and provide certain functions as well as securely stow our necessaries. It could serve as a sentry/security system, carry provisions, supplies, and materials, keep us all interconnected, retain all our personal information digitally, and so on. It could either roll, walk, or fly depending on terrain and conditions.

Maybe not in my lifetime now, but doable I think within the next 50 years or so.

Tom Selleck and Gene Simmons were in a movie called "Runaways", that had basic elements of my idea. While I thought up the notion long before the movie came out, I'm not sure mine was an original thought. Most likely, it was something Jules Verne wrote about somewhere.

#280643 - 05/07/16 08:02 PM Re: Emily, the rescue robot [Re: hikermor]
duckear Offline
Addict

Imagine pairing it with a drone that pinpoints the victim and automatically steers it to them.

Like having a personal USCG helo and cutter on the back of a four wheeler on the beach for the lifeguards.

#280649 - 05/09/16 09:09 PM Re: Emily, the rescue robot [Re: benjammin]
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Southern California
Originally Posted By: benjammin
Since high school days, I have imagined someday we would all have a personal assistant robot (PAR) as an EDC of sorts. Rather, such a device would tag along beside us and provide certain functions as well as securely stow our necessaries. It could serve as a sentry/security system, carry provisions, supplies, and materials, keep us all interconnected, retain all our personal information digitally, and so on. It could either roll, walk, or fly depending on terrain and conditions.

Maybe not in my lifetime now, but doable I think within the next 50 years or so.

Tom Selleck and Gene Simmons were in a movie called "Runaways", that had basic elements of my idea. While I thought up the notion long before the movie came out, I'm not sure mine was an original thought. Most likely, it was something Jules Verne wrote about somewhere.

I wouldn't give it 50 years. With battery tech advancing the way it is, we will likely see a hoverboard [scooter] type PR (you stand on it vs. a suitcase that follows you around) within the next 10-20 years.

Originally Posted By: duckear
Imagine pairing it with a drone that pinpoints the victim and automatically steers it to them.

Like having a personal USCG helo and cutter on the back of a four wheeler on the beach for the lifeguards.

Drone + Emily + Operator is currently viable. I was thinking less lifeguard beach rescue, than a man-overboard type scenario where the victim may be somewhere in the last half mile of ocean. Both a FLIR equipped drone and Emily could be deployed within seconds of the alarm.

Edited by Mark_R (05/09/16 09:12 PM)

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 226 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.