Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#280215 - 04/03/16 02:09 PM Highly Flammable Zipper Pulls
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
http://www.exotac.com/tinderzip/

Interesting concept. Zipper pulls you install on your backpack or wherever. In an emergency, you use the flammable cordage to start a fire. Six inches of cord gives 60 seconds of flame, according to the website.

I have no experience with this gadget, but it looks reasonable. I have a couple of other Exotac products (Firesleeve and their large match box) and I am a happy camper (no other affiliation). It would be nice if they included a short bit of the cord so you could get some experience with the stuff before you face the ultimate emergency....

Edited by hikermor (04/03/16 02:14 PM)

#280216 - 04/04/16 01:41 AM Re: Highly Flammable Zipper Pulls [Re: hikermor]
Famdoc Offline

Loc: PA
A zipper pull broke on my EDC backpack.

A close inspection of the slider revealed a narrow opening on the zipper-closed end (hook shaped), to which the now broken tab had been attached.

Hmm, replace with a ranger band?

I cut a 1/4" wide piece of 1-1/4" bicycle inner tube, stretched it out quite thin, and slipped in into place. Perfect!

Well almost: There was hardly enough of a loop to easily grasp.

So, I cut off another identically sized piece and slipped it through the existing band, then back through itself, to link the two together. Being black, they are nearly unnoticeable.

I understand from this forum that these are quite good firestarters as well. Havent' taken the time to try it myself yet.

Intact zipper pulls could also have these attached to the holes many have on the wide end of the pull as well; for way less money than the alternative.

#280217 - 04/04/16 02:13 PM Re: Highly Flammable Zipper Pulls [Re: hikermor]
LCranston Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Nebraska
This is a bad idea waiting for a lawsuit.

Think this through for a minute-- why would you deliberately put a VERY VERY FLAMMABLE item on the outside of the gear that you need to stay alive?

It is like using the pin on a live hand-grenade as a keychain.

#280218 - 04/04/16 03:52 PM Re: Highly Flammable Zipper Pulls [Re: LCranston]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Thoughtful point, but apparently, it is the interior of the cord that contains the flammable material, which is shielded (to some degree, at least) by an outer layer. it is worth considering that most of our packs contain appreciable quantities of flammable materials - white gas, iso-butane canisters, hand sanitizer, 100 proof whiskey, even some types of corn chips...., usually contained well enough that fires are rather uncommon.

Inquiring minds want to know. Once more I will be forced to trek to the nearest REI in search of this stuff, experiment (play), and report the results. It's a dirty job, but someone has to do it...

Actually, I wonder about the long term effectiveness. Will it still perform when it is five years old?

#280219 - 04/04/16 04:08 PM Re: Highly Flammable Zipper Pulls [Re: hikermor]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL

#280221 - 04/04/16 05:06 PM Re: Highly Flammable Zipper Pulls [Re: hikermor]
unimogbert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Colorado
I've looked at it a bit and it's just paracord with a more flammable single strand added. More like a source of tinder than something FLAMMABLE! like gasoline.

#280222 - 04/04/16 10:24 PM Re: Highly Flammable Zipper Pulls [Re: hikermor]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
Why not just drop a tube of Neosporin/Polysporin antibiotic ointment in a pack pocket? I think that stuff is flammable too, although it won't take a spark from a ferro rod, but I doubt the zipper pull would either. And Neosporin is also of use as a first aid item. There are not many alternate uses for a zipper pull, plus, these flammable ones seem kind of expensive.

#280223 - 04/04/16 11:59 PM Re: Highly Flammable Zipper Pulls [Re: haertig]
EMPnotImplyNuclear Offline
Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: haertig
There are not many alternate uses for a zipper pull, plus, these flammable ones seem kind of expensive.

smile If it were a keychain micro/button/ "peanut" oil lighter ... no bigger than the size of the cap/lid laugh i'm kind of surprised ebay doesn't show any that short/small

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 353 Guests and 31 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 12:03 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
Yesterday at 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.