The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#276648 - 09/15/15 05:24 PM Yet Another Burning Issue
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Fresh from reviewing the posts on emergency airplane evacuation, I read of this lady's sad ending in the LA Times.Here is a similar account http://www.canada.com/news/world/barbara...5061/story.html

We in California are just getting into the traditional fire season, and thousands of us will be facing decisions like this before it ends. Many of the same principles apply here- get out when you can. It is better to leave earlier than later.

I have loaded up for evacuation twice in the twenty plus years I have lived in my present residence. The hills above my home last burned in 2008 and the chaparral has grown back once more. Yesterday we reviewed evacuation procedures and I will be clearing out as much brush as I can.

#276650 - 09/15/15 06:49 PM Re: Yet Another Burning Issue [Re: hikermor]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

Wish I were closer so I could help out.

#276654 - 09/16/15 12:51 AM Re: Yet Another Burning Issue [Re: hikermor]
EMPnotImplyNuclear Offline
Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: hikermor
...We in California are just getting into the traditional fire season, and thousands of us will be facing decisions like this before it ends. Many of the same principles apply here- get out when you can. It is better to leave earlier than later...

And remember, when your elders are stubbornly refusing to evacuate, do whatever it takes , even if they're really tough

Its odd, but I smelled the Jerusalem Fire and I thought it was the neighbors grilling

The smoke from Valley Fire hasn't reached this way smirk
update: weird this forum thinks
Code:
:/ (emoticon)
means smirk and here I thought it meant hmm/thinking maybe confused

Edited by EMPnotImplyNuclear (09/16/15 08:37 AM)

#276658 - 09/16/15 03:46 AM Re: Yet Another Burning Issue [Re: hikermor]
acropolis5 Offline
Enthusiast

I hope you and yours are not plagued by the fire. However, I'm interested from a an assumption of the risk prospective, when you purchased your home, did you realize it was situated in an area prone to wild fire? And if you did, why did you assume such a risk? Finally if you get burned out once, does you insurance company take the land as a condition of pay off? Or can you rebuild, with or without fire insurance.

On the East Coast, more and more residential insurers have instituted " no issue" or " no rebuild" zones near the hurricane plagued coastal beaches. One of my friends rebuilt after a mass of hurricane damage, just short of destruction. He used the payout to rebuild. But he was unable to obtain new insurance for less than $30,000 per annum. In practical terms, a " no rebuild" policy by default. He decided to rebuild because it's a vacation home, in the family for decades, mortgage free and he loves to surf. So he uses it without insurance.

#276662 - 09/16/15 02:39 PM Re: Yet Another Burning Issue [Re: hikermor]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I was well aware of the risk of wildfire when I moved to California and eventually purchased my home - I would say that my location is not particularly more prone to fire hazard than most others in my community with the exception of those on the beach, who then have to consider tsumanis and their charms. Wildfire is simply one of the elements in the local hazard profile and fire, for that matter, is something that nearly everyone must consider in their planning, wherever they are.

Fire season really begins in SoCal when the notorious Santa Ana winds begin, typically in the fall, and then you are at risk, almost everywhere.

When I purchased my property, one of the first actions, I took was to replace the wood shingle roof with more fire resistant asphalt shingling. The property and contents are insured,and once we have removed the people, pets, and other essentials, I am content to walk and let the contents burn. Typically after a notable burn, property values dip for about three months and then return to business as usual.

My post may have given the impression that i was situated within the notorious wildland/urban interface, which is not quite true. Mine is a fully built residential area within the city limits, but about one quarter mile and up slope, there is flourishing chaparral. I simply need to cut some stray weeds, rake up all the leaves, clean the gutters and reduce the fuel load in the immediate vicinity.

In the two previous fire events, while I was actively loading, I could see no signs of activity by any of my neighbors, but then I doubt that any of them had any wild fire fighting experience

The property value might actually be enhanced if the house burned. Most of the recent sales in the neighborhood have resulted in tear downs and mine would be in ready to build condition.

Actually, the big problem around here is earthquakes (and the probable resultant fires). I take steps to deal with that, as well.

Like anywhere, one must be aware of the challenges the environment poses, and take measure to deal with them. I don't need to worry about hurricanes, tornadoes, heavy snow, or flooding, but I must pay attention to EQs and wild fire. It's an acceptable deal.

Montanero - I'll bet you are helping already. There are probably fire crews from your area on the lines right now. We are even importing crews from new Zealand

#276675 - 09/16/15 11:22 PM Re: Yet Another Burning Issue [Re: hikermor]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
in case there are new members not familiar with "Listening to Katrina"... you might find this interesting reading

http://www.theplacewithnoname.com/blogs/klessons/p/map.html

#276691 - 09/18/15 11:15 PM Re: Yet Another Burning Issue [Re: hikermor]
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Southern California
Similiar situation with the fire and earthquake hazard. There's a 50-100 ft defensible space at the edge of the chapparell, and everybody uses terracotta or asphalt shingles. I can't speak for earthquake preparedness though. As best as I can tell, I'm the only one with furniture bolted to the wall.

When I moved in, I had to sign a paper saying that I acknowledge the fire and earthquake danger. So, it's common knowledge in the area what the hazards are.

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 413 Guests and 59 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.