Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#276187 - 08/12/15 04:57 AM Body of missing 5 year old child found.
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
I had hoped there would be a happier resolution but it was not to be. Searchers found the body of five year old Jerold Williams near the campsite where he went missing near the Grand Canyon. Maybe someone here is familiar with the area? On one level, not having been in the region, how a kid that young could have wandered far enough that searchers couldn't find him. The article said he had wandered off while chasing grasshoppers. Poor little guy. frown

I'm not sure what the takeway is here beyond keep a close eye on young children. I feel that the "hug a tree" training is probably the best option as far as teaching a kid, especially one too young to really understand survival.

#276190 - 08/12/15 04:56 PM Re: Body of missing 5 year old child found. [Re: Phaedrus]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
A very sad ending to a search. The following press release was forwarded to many in the volunteer SAR community.

Originally Posted By: Media Release

Jerold Joseph Williams Found Deceased

Jacobs Lake, Arizona –The body of missing 5 year old Jerold Joseph Williams was found on August 10, 2015 around 4:30 pm by a group of volunteer searchers from Colorado City. The group was driving along Forest Service Road 240 when some boys who were in the back of the pickup saw the body of Jerold on the ground around 15-20 feet off the road. Jerold’s body was found approximately 3.7 miles point-to-point from the place Jerold was last seen. However, by road it was approximately 8.6 miles from the place he was last seen. Because Jerold was found close to the road and the road would have been a natural walking area for him compared to the very thick brush, it is believed that Jerold probably found his way to Forest Road 240 and followed it to Forest Road 241 in the direction away from the camp site and may have walked off into the forest to lay down to rest. He was found fully clothed with no obvious external injuries, and there is was no evidence of foul play indicated at the scene. The weather had turned inclement early during the time he was missing. An autopsy was performed today and Coconino County Medical Examiner’s Office preliminary findings appear to be accidental death due to environmental exposure. Based on the environmental conditions Jerold was exposed to it is unlikely he survived the first night.

The focus of the search area was based on information from data gathered from other searches (for example the Arizona Lost Persons Behavioral database and other resources), proven mathematical models, as well as a profile of the lost person including location and time last seen, mobility, activity level, and other behavior. Jerold was found within what is known as the containment area of the search. This area is a concentric circle outside of the area of the main focus of the search efforts but within the search perimeter. Natural boundaries such as roads are often part of the containment area with the hope that the person will be found before leaving the containment. The main focus of ground search efforts had been some 21 square miles, which was a 2.1 radius from the point Jerold was last seen.
The search spanned 5 days and 4 nights with 1,000 or more people assisting. The support from the community was overwhelming. There were close to 900 people from the community who collectively volunteered thousands of hours of their time to the search efforts, not only in the field, but also by providing meals and other support. A great majority of these volunteers were from the community of Colorado City who gave their full support to the search efforts. In addition to the community volunteers, we are grateful to all of the state, local and federal organizations including the U.S. Air Force Rescue community which involved the Air Force Rescue Coordination Center, Air Force Rescue air crews, maintainers, and para-rescue. The Air Force Rescue crews were able to utilize advanced night optics to conduct overnight search operations. Many area businesses provided equipment and resources which was greatly appreciated. This was the largest spontaneous volunteer response the Coconino County Sheriff’s Office has handled, and the cooperation of the community was greatly appreciated.

Personnel from Coconino County Sheriff's Office, Yavapai County Sheriff's Office, Pima County Sheriff's Office, Maricopa County Sheriff's Office, Kane County Sheriff's Office, Washington County Sheriff's Office, Coconino County CERT Teams, Arizona Wing Civil Air Patrol, Utah Wing Civil Air Patrol, Arizona Department of Public Safety, U.S. Forest Service, National Park Service, Bureau of Land Management, FBI, Rocky Mountain Rescue Dogs, and the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children participated in this search.

#276192 - 08/13/15 04:19 AM Re: Body of missing 5 year old child found. [Re: Phaedrus]
Pete Offline
Veteran

I agree - very sad. prayers for the family!!

I think the decisive factor was weather. It probably also hampered the search. visibility may have been limited.

I honestly don't see a positive answer for a young child like that - in rain and cold weather. His best hope might have been to crawl under thick bushes to escape the weather. but the chances are - he was already soaked and hypothermic, before he stepped off the road. it would be a SERIOUS situation for an adult, unless they remained dry and knew how to construct shelter and a fire.

#276198 - 08/13/15 03:31 PM Re: Body of missing 5 year old child found. [Re: Pete]
Pete Offline
Veteran

I will share a couple of extra thoughts abpout this ... navigation.

The MAIN thing - if you have a kid in the wilderness, and your child is one of these "adventurous" personalities - it might pay to attach a PLB directly to your child. It would save a lot of heartache ... if the child becomes lost later.

About navigation. The story of the lost boy finding the forest road, and turning in the wrong direction, reminded me of a Lesson Learned (a long time ago). I used to do outdoors navigation exercises. Just walking with a compass, taking sighting and bearings. Basically the same as Orienteering. I used to do it alone in the desert. In that stretch of desert, there were many bushes, with the tops above head level. It was EXTREMELY easy to lose your direction, and pretty easy to lose your car (to my chagrin).

My first exercise ... do a simple triangle pattern. Each leg about 800 yards long. Try to return to your exact starting point. BAD IDEA ... I reached my Starting Point. I had a small error (easy to make with a compass). And I could not find my vehicle. It was completely lost amongst the bushes. DUH!! The moral of that story - do not return to a specific point on a map, unless it's a really visible landmark.

My "improvement" ... when I did the return leg, I intercepted a dirt road. This was much better, because you are guaranteed of crossing that road. BUT the problem with this idea ... when you hit the road ... do you go to the LEFT or the RIGHT. Hahahaha! MORE time wasted!! :-)

FINALLY, I got smarter and realized - when you do a navigational exercise, DELIBERATELY MISS you target (the final ending point). I changed the compass reading so I KNEW that when I intercepted the dirt road, I needed to walk to the right down the road. Problem solved.

The little boy in this story was alive when he found the Forest Road. Tragically, he walked the wrong way on the road. But there was no way that he could have known the answer.

Pete

#276199 - 08/13/15 08:12 PM Re: Body of missing 5 year old child found. [Re: Pete]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
Originally Posted By: Pete
My "improvement" ... when I did the return leg, I intercepted a dirt road. This was much better, because you are guaranteed of crossing that road. BUT the problem with this idea ... when you hit the road ... do you go to the LEFT or the RIGHT. Hahahaha! MORE time wasted!! :-)

FINALLY, I got smarter and realized - when you do a navigational exercise, DELIBERATELY MISS you target (the final ending point). I changed the compass reading so I KNEW that when I intercepted the dirt road, I needed to walk to the right down the road. Problem solved.

The method you used is a fairly standard land navigation technique, often called "aiming off" or "angle off" (probably other names as well). Your dirt road would be called a "handrail", and is a "line of position" (LOP). That is, some linear feature that you can recognize on the ground. You may not know exactly where you are, but you know you are somewhere along that linear feature. Significant streams, long well defined ridgelines, and power lines would be other examples of handrails.

I find that with a typical baseplate orienteering style compass with a sighting mirror, if I'm careful I can walk a course in thickly wooded terrain to within about a plus/minus 2 degree error. To aim off, I would plan a course about 5 degrees off of the true course. (Twice my estimated error plus another degree to be on the safe side.) If it was exceptionally difficult terrain to follow a compass course, or especially dire consequences if I messed up, I might plan to be a bit more than 5 degrees off.

#276203 - 08/14/15 08:31 AM Re: Body of missing 5 year old child found. [Re: Phaedrus]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
The only problem with attaching a PLB to your child is that they need to be activated/deployed to work. I don't think (and correct me if I'm wrong) they can be "pinged" but need to be activated by the user. My knowledge may be dated but I think you need to pull out a big antenna, too. A small child may or may not be able to understand how to use one. [Note: Some folks with kids tell me their 2 year olds can figure out how to use every function on a remote control, so maybe I'm not giving the little ones enough credit.]

#276205 - 08/14/15 02:31 PM Re: Body of missing 5 year old child found. [Re: Phaedrus]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
PLBs cannot be activated or pinged remotely.

I can't speak to other kids, but all of my girls at age 5 could have been taught to use a PLB correctly, although it's always easier to train that sort of thing with a dummy unit.

#276206 - 08/14/15 02:48 PM Re: Body of missing 5 year old child found. [Re: chaosmagnet]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Just give the kid a iPhone and turn on location services so you can use the "Find my Phone" app. It needs to be within cell coverage, but better than nuthn.

#276207 - 08/14/15 03:00 PM Re: Body of missing 5 year old child found. [Re: chaosmagnet]
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
PLBs cannot be activated or pinged remotely.

I can't speak to other kids, but all of my girls at age 5 could have been taught to use a PLB correctly, although it's always easier to train that sort of thing with a dummy unit.

While I would agree that many children at age 5 can be taught how to activate a PLB, I wonder how that translates to the real world with kids who rarely have good judgement skills, especially boys. <sigh> I would be concerned about them deciding to show-off or otherwise play with the PLB, setting it off in a non-emergency situation. That could cause significant problems, not even considering it is illegal. Obviously, as they get older it is less of a problem.

You also have the not unusual fear of getting in trouble that has caused a number of fatalities or near fatalities as young children avoid searchers for fear of adverse consequences to them from parents. That can be somewhat ameliorated by training, but that training has to consistent with how they are treated in other situations as well or it can be ineffective.

If you have cell phone coverage, then there are readily available tracking options, but without cell coverage, something like a SPOT would work for tracking them if tracking is turned on. That would be the best solution, I expect.

Beyond that technology solution, I don't think there's a good non-tech answer to situations such as this beyond being constantly vigilant. It really is no different than kids around water. It only takes a moment for things to go from no threat or fun times to potential death.
Chairman & Executive Director
Equipped To Survive Foundation
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

#276212 - 08/15/15 01:28 AM Re: Body of missing 5 year old child found. [Re: Phaedrus]
Pete Offline
Veteran

DOUG - very good point.

So perhaps for kids, one of the SPOT2 (or SPOT3) devices with the TRACKING turned ON ... is actually a much better option. Can be activated by the parents, will give an updated location every 10 minutes. Does not need emergency signal activation (although that can be done).

Pete

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 251 Guests and 8 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Today at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.