#274264 - 02/20/15 02:49 PM Lessons from a canoe accident
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Here's the narrative:

Rio Grande Wild & Scenic River (TX)
Overdue Canoeist Rescued From Lower Canyons

On February 15th, rangers Greg Drum and Beau Bracken began a search for a 68-year-old man from Albuquerque who had departed on January 30th to canoe the remote Lower Canyons portion the Rio Grande Wild and Scenic River.

When his permit revealed to rangers that he was overdue, a request for assistance was put in to the U.S. Customs Air and Marine Branch out of Alpine, Texas. Drum joined the pilot to assist him with the aerial search.

The man was spotted on the Mexican side of the river near Upper Madison Falls, a Class III/IV rapid. He’d attempted to portage the rapid, but became stranded due to his physical condition and diminished supplies. He said that he’d flipped his canoe several times earlier in the trip and had lost a bag filled with essential medication. Without his medication, he had begun to succumb to extreme lethargy and was unable to continue his trip. He said he hadn’t seen another human during his entire time on the river and therefore believed his chance of rescue was miniscule.

Drum was dropped off nearby and hiked to the man’s location. Using his canoe, Drum helped him back across the Rio Grande. The pilot waited on the Texas shore, then flew him to park headquarters in Panther Junction. He was transported to Big Bend Regional Medical Center, treated there, and released with no lasting injuries.

The remote Lower Canyons of the Rio Grande Wild and Scenic are among the most rugged and desolate locations in the Lower 48. Rangers are the only people who patrol the river along this stretch of international border

A couple of points:

1) The bureaucratic permit system one endures in many areas can sometimes be quite beneficial, even if it is a PITA.

2) Essential meds - how to deal with them when away from civilization? Keep them in a waterproof container with coffe and chocolate and other critical items?

#274265 - 02/20/15 03:51 PM Re: Lessons from a canoe accident [Re: hikermor]
Treeseeker Offline

Loc: California
If you have essential meds, then you shouldn't be traveling alone. And you should have two stashes of meds in different places--possibly one in your supplies and one in a companion's supplies. And in such remote areas, you should have a PLB. IMHO

#274272 - 02/20/15 10:58 PM Re: Lessons from a canoe accident [Re: Treeseeker]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Originally Posted By: Treeseeker
If you have essential meds, then you shouldn't be traveling alone.

Novel thought, but I don't quite grasp the logic. Traveling solo has its challenges, as well as its rewards. How does taking pills figure in?

#274274 - 02/21/15 03:58 AM Re: Lessons from a canoe accident [Re: hikermor]
UTAlumnus Offline
Old Hand

Loc: East Tennessee near Bristol
How I would treat essential meds would depend on how many & what size are required and how critical it is. A month's supply of my blood pressure pill will fit in a container the size of a 35mm film can. A week is smaller than a AAA flashlight. I keep a month back-up in rotation and about two weeks in pocket when traveling. I couldn't do this if it was bigger. For a river trip and a larger volume med, I'd be thinking something like a Pelican box that would stay attached to my PFD.

#274276 - 02/21/15 07:39 AM Re: Lessons from a canoe accident [Re: hikermor]
Phaedrus Online   content
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
I think it if you need it to survive you better have it on your body. As Mr. Ritter says of survival gear, "If it's not on you it can't save you."

#274277 - 02/21/15 08:09 AM Re: Lessons from a canoe accident [Re: Phaedrus]
Leigh_Ratcliffe Offline
Veteran

Loc: United Kingdom.
Originally Posted By: Phaedrus
I think it if you need it to survive you better have it on your body. As Mr. Ritter says of survival gear, "If it's not on you it can't save you."

Absolutely right. 3 to 4 days worth. Put it an Alosak and [i]make certain it is tethered to you./i]

#274278 - 02/21/15 09:57 AM Re: Lessons from a canoe accident [Re: Leigh_Ratcliffe]
Herman30 Offline
Addict

Loc: Finland
Is my choise for the essentials that must not be lost.

Edited by Herman30 (02/21/15 09:58 AM)

#274279 - 02/21/15 11:38 AM Re: Lessons from a canoe accident [Re: hikermor]
Phaedrus Online   content
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Ribz pack! I have one in black.

#274280 - 02/21/15 02:49 PM Re: Lessons from a canoe accident [Re: Phaedrus]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
There are a number of PFD that have pockets for essentials.

#274303 - 02/24/15 04:02 PM Re: Lessons from a canoe accident [Re: hikermor]
Treeseeker Offline

Loc: California
Quote:
Novel thought, but I don't quite grasp the logic. Traveling solo has its challenges, as well as its rewards. How does taking pills figure in?

If you are taking life maintenance drugs such as for diabetes, and you take too much or not enough, you can become confused and black out or go into a coma. Without a travelling companion, you are at great risk. They can help you when you can't help yourself.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 411 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.