The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#273258 - 12/13/14 07:39 PM Equipped to Survive the Holidaze
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
It seems every year this time I put on a little extra fat reserve while the wife and I produce prodigious amounts of goodies. Of course, being old school, everything we make is either full of sugar, or fat, or usually both.

With the advance of years comes the slowing of metabolism and a general desire to lounge more and exert less. This year I've noticed the pudge has increased more than the usual snug belt, and I've had to make use of the next notch out more than I would like.

My quest continues to perfect the ultimate fruitcake recipe. This year's is about spot on. I still haven't solved the NSA buckeye dilemma yet. Just can't find a decent way to properly thicken the peanut butter center without using powdered sugar. Well, maybe next year...

Meanwhile, the cookies, candies, cheese and meat trays continue to pile up. We are gonna have to make yet another trip around to the friends' homes and see if we can talk them into taking more of this stuff off our hands, before I either become a diabetic or have a blockage.

Just in case, I am keeping a bottle of aspirin handy, and taking my krill oil pills and cinammon capsules twice a day until this indulgent little apocalypse is over.

Merry Christmas everyone.

#273259 - 12/13/14 11:34 PM Re: Equipped to Survive the Holidaze [Re: benjammin]
brandtb Offline
Addict

Loc: S.E. Pennsylvania
Surviving the Holidaze involves more than just food.

Can you get past December 25th without a fist fight breaking out at the family gathering? Let Thanksgiving dinner a month ago be your guide.

#273260 - 12/14/14 12:05 AM Re: Equipped to Survive the Holidaze [Re: brandtb]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: brandtb
Can you get past December 25th without a fist fight breaking out at the family gathering? Let Thanksgiving dinner a month ago be your guide.

My family muscles through these events without fisticuffs, although seemingly rarely without tears. Weddings, unfortunately, tend to be memorable for the wrong reasons.

#273262 - 12/14/14 01:56 AM Re: Equipped to Survive the Holidaze [Re: benjammin]
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Southern California
CDs, lots of CDs. DVDs too. If I have to sit through one more "Rudolf the red nosed reindeer" or "a Christmas story", I'm going to start developing an unhealthy hankering for venison.

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane

#273264 - 12/14/14 01:27 PM Re: Equipped to Survive the Holidaze [Re: Mark_R]
M_a_x Offline
Veteran

Loc: Germany
Originally Posted By: Mark_R
I'm going to start developing an unhealthy hankering for venison.

That canīt be unhealthy wink. Venison is healthy food. It sure is a lot healthier than the usual cookies. It should be eaten more.
That reminds me that I need to go to the Swedish funiture store and get some reindeer for the holidays.
Donīt be too shy to let people know that hearing "Rudolf the red nosed reindeer" over and over again inspired you to make that choice.
If we had reindeer around here, I might even be tempted to buy a permit, load my Hawken rifle and harvest one myself.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
2 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle, Ren), 394 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
1 second ago
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.