Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#263932 - 10/03/13 02:24 PM Slight changes to my first aid kits
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Had a nice chat with an EMT yesterday about his first aid kits for wilderness travel. Take-aways; pack the kit in a waterproof bag/case, add benadryl, irrigation syringe and make a small 'backup' kit of essentials to be carried in someone else's pack.

TRO

#263937 - 10/03/13 05:16 PM Re: Slight changes to my first aid kits [Re: TeacherRO]
Lono Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Pacific NW, USA
Nice additions TeacherRO - altho these have been part of the NOLS WFA protocols for quite a while. Are you trained in a certified WFA? I strongly recommend at least the 2 day course, nothing else prepares you for the realization that you're caring for this young broken Scout or spouse or fellow hiker on your own for 72 hours. And the more you go out hiking with other WFA trainees, the less often you are actually alone. We now have 6 adults and scouts trained in WFA in our local Scout troop. All it takes is the time to sign up and one weekend every couple years to recert.

I go out with my full WFA first aid kit almost every hike, size or weight doesn't bother me - it fills a gallon size zip lock with other FA components like webbing spread out over my pack. I pity the weight conscious who pare their first aid kits down to a few band aids and an aspirin. I'm sure they're moving along fine with that most times, its just the last hike that will get them, or someone else.

#263970 - 10/04/13 04:52 AM Re: Slight changes to my first aid kits [Re: Lono]
leemann Offline
Soylent Green
Addict

Loc: At the soylent green plant.
Originally Posted By: Lono

I go out with my full WFA first aid kit almost every hike, size or weight doesn't bother me - it fills a gallon size zip lock with other FA components like webbing spread out over my pack. I pity the weight conscious who pare their first aid kits down to a few band aids and an aspirin. I'm sure they're moving along fine with that most times, its just the last hike that will get them, or someone else.

Lono Are there any contents list for this first aid kit?.

Just curious.
http://datacore.sciflicks.com/soylent_green/sounds/soylent_green_people.wav
RIP OBG

#264127 - 10/09/13 04:37 PM Re: Slight changes to my first aid kits [Re: TeacherRO]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Lono - Yes, I've got my WFA. ( WFR?) It was both fun and useful

TRO

#264130 - 10/09/13 04:57 PM Re: Slight changes to my first aid kits [Re: leemann]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Wilderness First Responder First Aid Kit contents, unfortunately it's not in stock.

Edit: Doing a side-side list comparison of the NOLS WFR FAK with the AMK Weekender FAK, they are fairly comparable in dimensions w/ the Weekender being a tad heavier. There is probably stuff in there that can be removed to closely duplicate the NOLS WFR FAK. Note that the NOLS kit is stocked with 3x3 sterile gauze pads rather than 4x4's.

I really like the AMK Weekender, good kit IMO. YMMV

#264132 - 10/09/13 05:20 PM Re: Slight changes to my first aid kits [Re: TeacherRO]
Russ Offline
Geezer

WFA = Wilderness First Aid
WFR = Wilderness First Responder

I just finished the WFA, the WFR course is longer and more in depth.
WMI Course Comparison

#264172 - 10/10/13 02:44 PM Re: Slight changes to my first aid kits [Re: Russ]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Originally Posted By: Russ
Wilderness First Responder First Aid Kit contents, unfortunately it's not in stock.

Edit: Doing a side-side list comparison of the NOLS WFR FAK with the AMK Weekender FAK, they are fairly comparable in dimensions w/ the Weekender being a tad heavier. There is probably stuff in there that can be removed to closely duplicate the NOLS WFR FAK. Note that the NOLS kit is stocked with 3x3 sterile gauze pads rather than 4x4's.

I really like the AMK Weekender, good kit IMO. YMMV

Those are good stating points. I carry a .3 of some sort during day hikes; have my own FAK on longer hikes. If you're comfortable making your own, it might be cheaper/easier.

#264758 - 11/01/13 08:27 PM Re: Slight changes to my first aid kits [Re: TeacherRO]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

two hints from "Wilderness 911" ( book)

- get a case with vinyl pockets

- add some safety pins

TRO

#264761 - 11/01/13 10:35 PM Re: Slight changes to my first aid kits [Re: MDinana]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Originally Posted By: MDinana
...Those are good stating points. I carry a .3 of some sort during day hikes; have my own FAK on longer hikes. If you're comfortable making your own, it might be cheaper/easier.
I took your advice and made my own starting with the NOLS Med Kit Bag which is similar in dimensions to the AMK Weekender bag. This is now my go-to FAK.
Contents:
Gear/Tools/Protection
Nitrile Gloves - 3 pair
N-95 Face mask - 1
Trauma Shears - 1
Irrigation Syringe - 1
Uncle Bill Sliver Grippers - 1
safety pins - 4
Notepad - 1
Pen - 1
4" x 6" ziplock - 2
WMI FA Pocket Guide

Medications and Topicals
Benadryl -6
Imodium - 6
Aspirin - 6
Alcohol Wipes - 4
Wash'n Dri Towelettes - 2
Povidone Iodine Pads - 2
PDI Sting Relief - 2
PDI Benzalkonium Chloride Antiseptic Towelette -2
antibiotic ointment - tube
Oral Rehydration Salts - 1

Bandaging
1.75" x 4" Adhesive strips - 3
1" x 3" Adhesive strips - 6
.75" x 3" Adhesive strips - 6
5 x 9 trauma pad - 1
4 x 4 J&J 4-ply sterile gauze (sponge) pads - 10
2 x 3 Easy Release Pads - 2
3” Conforming Gauze - 2
3” elastic bandage - 1
3" Conforming gauze - 2 rolls
triangular bandage - 2
WMI Wound Pack - 1
2nd Skin - 1
1" Medical Tape - two 10 yd rolls

As I use it contents will probably morph slightly, that's the point. One difference between the NOLS Med Kit and the AMK Weekender is that the interior sections of the Weekender are marked for what they contain while the NOLS Med Kit is not marked at all. The advantage to building your own kit is that you lose the mindset that AMK determines what belongs in that kit. The FAK is what you decide it is.

#267012 - 01/31/14 04:25 AM Re: Slight changes to my first aid kits [Re: TeacherRO]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Where is a good place to buy 3-4 pr of Nitrile Gloves? Does one of the marts carry them? Walgreens? I need xl

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 221 Guests and 64 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.