Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#269710 - 05/06/14 09:14 PM Battery care
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

How often should you charge your devices batteries?

battery care

#269714 - 05/07/14 12:07 AM Re: Battery care [Re: TeacherRO]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

One way to easily spot inaccurate information is when they say nickle-based lumping NiCad and NiMH into the same group. Their characteristics are different enough that they are not the same.

#269718 - 05/07/14 02:15 AM Re: Battery care [Re: Eugene]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Yeah, every time I visit LifeHacker it seems to be the semi-clueless leading the mostly oblivious. Maybe there's better stuff hidden away, but I haven't found it yet. Too bad, it's a great concept.

Clearly, the writer clearly doesn't have the foggiest notion about anything prior to lithium rechargeables. ("Dude, that's so 2012.")

In fairness, though, the article if focused on lithium rechargeables. The data is from Battery University, which is a credible source worth referring to. Whether that data is 100% applicable to lithium polymer batteries (vs. the lithium ion 18650s in my laptop) is a good question. The writer does not appear to have considered this. And he should have. Details matter.

EDIT: Good Lord, am I turning into one of the grumpy old guys in the Muppets' balcony??!!

Edited by dougwalkabout (05/07/14 02:20 AM)

#269722 - 05/07/14 12:43 PM Re: Battery care [Re: TeacherRO]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

The biggest issue I have with Lithium rechargeables is they are going to wear out in 3-4 years no matter how you care for them. If you try to keep them between a certain % and remove from your laptop to keep away from the heat you may prolong the life by a few days but remember they loose some of their capacity no matter what you do.

Battery University looses some credibility when they lump NiCad and NiMH together listing them as having the same disadvantages, I know they over simplified but when you over simplify to the point of giving wrong information.

You still can't get lithium-based (to over generalize as they did) batteries that will retain 90% of their capacity after a decade like NiMH yet the sites like these are always down on NiMH (or Nickle based as they put it).

#269728 - 05/07/14 06:10 PM Re: Battery care [Re: TeacherRO]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
I agree that BU's NiMH charging page isn't stellar. It's not far off for the old-style NiMHs. Unfortunately, it doesn't address the characteristics of low-self-discharge NiMHs, which IMO represent a sea change -- NiMH 2.0 if you will. In terms of practicality and usability, LSD NiMHs might as well be viewed as an entirely new battery technology. The BU page briefly notes the omission, but an update is sorely needed.

#269731 - 05/07/14 07:08 PM Re: Battery care [Re: dougwalkabout]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: dougwalkabout
Unfortunately, it doesn't address the characteristics of low-self-discharge NiMHs, which IMO represent a sea change...

I love LSD NiMH batteries, but they are not really marketed differently from the old NiMH batteries, so I think the majority of consumers wouldn't even know that they should care about the difference. Go to a display for Duracell NiMH batteries in any big box store. The typical consumer has no idea whether they are the older NiMH or the newer "Duraloops" since you'll often find both types on display if there indeed Duraloops on sale at that store. And most people I know have never heard of Eneloops, let alone more niche brands of LSD batteries.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 449 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Zippo Butane Inserts
by NAro
Today at 11:57 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.