Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#268553 - 03/26/14 03:07 AM Button Compass -- Thoughts and Recommendations
buckeye Offline
life is about the journey

Loc: Ohio
Hi,

So, per the Watch thread, if I go with a basic date/time only model, could always get a button compass for the watch band.

While I know even the better models are good for only general direction and may receive interference from the watch itself (so I'll look for one that can be readily removable); given that, what button compasses do all like and/or which ones do you all recommend we avoid?

I looked through old posts and didn't see one discussing button compasses directly.

I have no interest in or affiliation to any of the products or services I may mention. Should I ever, I will clearly state so.

#268554 - 03/26/14 03:23 AM Re: Button Compass -- Thoughts and Recommendations [Re: buckeye]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
The thing is-when you really need to use a compass, you trust it absolutely to be correct. I have yet to find a button compass on which I could depend. Spend a little more, allot a bit more space and get something that works and that is dependable-Suunto is one good brand.

I have spent most my time in the western US. I have rarely needed to use a compass, since it is very easy to navigate by terrain features.

#268557 - 03/26/14 03:45 AM Re: Button Compass -- Thoughts and Recommendations [Re: buckeye]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

Do a search on ETS -- there was a button compass thread. Someone recommended this brand of brass button compasses which are apparently adjusted for declination. Rather pricey. That may work better if you need to rely on a button compass.

But, really, an orienteering compass is just better.

#268568 - 03/26/14 08:57 AM Re: Button Compass -- Thoughts and Recommendations [Re: buckeye]
Herman30 Offline
Addict

Loc: Finland
Instead of button compass I would recommend the Suunto M9 wrist compass on your other hand. It looks cheap but is quite a good quality compass for showing the general directions.

I have one myself. Didnīt like the original wrist strap so I replaced it with a nato strap.

#268583 - 03/26/14 02:50 PM Re: Button Compass -- Thoughts and Recommendations [Re: Herman30]
Outdoor_Quest Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Central Oregon
My experience has been that these small compasses will provide a trend of direction (northeast,north) and that is about it. About the same as those ball compasses with the safety pin.

Blake

www.outdoorquest.blogspot.com

#268594 - 03/26/14 04:25 PM Re: Button Compass -- Thoughts and Recommendations [Re: buckeye]
Mark_F Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Kentucky
no personal experience with it, and no affiliations, but this looks promising

I also suspect a button compass (or even a regular full size compass) is no different than any other piece of gear, it should regularly be checked against a known and reliable standard for accuracy, as well as to be sure it hasn't been damaged or otherwise compromised

#268624 - 03/27/14 03:22 AM Re: Button Compass -- Thoughts and Recommendations [Re: buckeye]
clearwater Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Channeled Scablands
I have a couple of button compasses, sunto, they both quite working well after a few months being carried around in my pack. I back to a basic scout type silva I have had for at least 25 years.

#268625 - 03/27/14 03:30 AM Re: Button Compass -- Thoughts and Recommendations [Re: buckeye]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
I have had this button compass for a few years. It points in exactly the same direction as more compasses I have. I have tested it on top of mountains in Tahoe. Please note it is fluid filled.

http://www.survivalresources.com/store/product.php?productid=16186&page=1

Even though one has not failed on me, I use this type of compass as backup. I would NOT recommend trying to put this on a watch because it is a bit too thick for that. Also, you effectively turn your rugged watch into a delicate bracelet with which you must be careful.

#268630 - 03/27/14 01:43 PM Re: Button Compass -- Thoughts and Recommendations [Re: ireckon]
Mark_F Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Kentucky
Izzy, I figure about the best we can expect from a button compass is to get a general sense of direction.

Wow, clearwater, I'd expect a button compass to last longer than a few months, looks like I have some gear testing to do asap

ireckon, are those compasses like the ones in the PSP? they sure look like it, although they also look like a lot of the ones I bought on the cheap in bulk and had shipped here from China, I'm sure the ones I bought imitated the look of these better compasses on purpose

#268639 - 03/27/14 03:43 PM Re: Button Compass -- Thoughts and Recommendations [Re: buckeye]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Yes, one needs to assume a button compass is always 10-30 degrees off. but its not for fine work, its for getting a very general sense of direction.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 325 Guests and 52 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.