Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#268763 - 04/01/14 02:59 PM water from condensation in the desert
Glock-A-Roo Offline
Old Hand

Not a solar still, but a fabric that gathers nighttime dew and drains it to a catchbasin: story, video, homepage.

What are the implications for personal survival? I'm not suggesting that a person carry 50 pounds of plastic mesh in case they need to build one of these. But a thought experiment:

- Could this idea scale down to be leveraged by a survivor? If you could collect just 1/2 to 1 liter per day with little effort, it would be worthwhile and potentially lifesaving.

- How could the fabric's action be approximated with improvised or scavenged materials: bug netting? Fabric from the plane/auto? Drape a patchwork of spare clothing on a frame of saplings? How effective would this approximation be? What's the yield-to-work ratio?

I think it would be kinda cool to experiment with this.

#268773 - 04/01/14 11:07 PM Re: water from condensation in the desert [Re: Glock-A-Roo]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
On the Channel Islands (USA),small scale experiments with window screening yielded water.The situation was ideal,with abundant fog. On Santa Rosa island, there is a large oak I have dubbed "the car wash tree" because it is always dripping noticeable abundant water on a typically foggy morning....

#268781 - 04/02/14 07:58 AM Re: water from condensation in the desert [Re: Glock-A-Roo]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Good stuff! I wonder what it would cost to make one?

#268785 - 04/02/14 01:59 PM Re: water from condensation in the desert [Re: Glock-A-Roo]
Glock-A-Roo Offline
Old Hand

I'm always fascinated with survival techniques that yield surprising value from (sometimes) unexpected resources, like dew collection and Super Shelters. That's why the Warka Water project caught my eye.

There's a YouTube user who goes by "Colhane" who has spent a lot of time in the wilds of Brazil, and his channel has a huge amount of great info. In this video he demonstrates dew collection while on an overnight in a dry grassland area of Brazil. You can see that in those conditions, tying 2 or 3 rags on a stick can gather a surprising amount of water but you need to be able to treat it.

#268796 - 04/03/14 01:43 AM Re: water from condensation in the desert [Re: Glock-A-Roo]
CDVXF7 Offline

What I really need is a droid who understands the binary language of moisture vaporators.

#268804 - 04/03/14 07:51 AM Re: water from condensation in the desert [Re: Glock-A-Roo]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Interesting- why would you have to treat water gathered from condensation? I wouldn't think bugs in the water could travel along with it in vapor form.

#268807 - 04/03/14 01:18 PM Re: water from condensation in the desert [Re: Glock-A-Roo]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

One of the items in my survival kit (larger than pocket size kit) is a clear plastic bag. It can be wrapped around some vegetation and will produce condensation inside the bag. Not large quantities, but it does produce some water. This is something taught by the late Ron Hood of Hood's Woods.

#268808 - 04/03/14 01:22 PM Re: water from condensation in the desert [Re: Phaedrus]
Glock-A-Roo Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: Phaedrus
Interesting- why would you have to treat water gathered from condensation? I wouldn't think bugs in the water could travel along with it in vapor form.

The water is pure at the point it condenses, but then it is in contact with the vegetation & such from which you gather it. That vegetation has plenty of contamination on it from soil-based microbes and bird crap. Of course there's many variables, though I think it's a case where you purify the water if at all possible but if you don't have the means, you just take your chances.

I can't quantify it but I would expect that in a dusty environment with herd animals there would be an enhanced risk of the dust on vegetation having a degree of fecal contamination.

Originally Posted By: Montanero
One of the items in my survival kit (larger than pocket size kit) is a clear plastic bag. It can be wrapped around some vegetation and will produce condensation inside the bag. Not large quantities, but it does produce some water. This is something taught by the late Ron Hood of Hood's Woods.

Yep, gather dew when the sun is down then run transpiration bags when the sun is up. Together these 2 methods could make a huge difference in your hydration.

Gene Ward's widow still operates his online store, where they sell plastic bags that are excellent for transpiration. They come flat-packed and are just the right size and thickness. I have some in my kits.

#268822 - 04/04/14 02:52 PM Re: water from condensation in the desert [Re: Glock-A-Roo]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
As you may know, Californians are urged to conserve water. Among other practices, I have taken to wiping down my vehicle with a clean paper towel early in the morning, rather than a conventional car wash. I'll et I could collect a liter of water every morning....

#268823 - 04/04/14 03:30 PM Re: water from condensation in the desert [Re: gonewiththewind]
Mark_F Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Kentucky
would that work using a baking bag? I have got in the habit of always adding a baking bag (and 6 water purification tablets) to my kits, if the baking bag would work in this manner I could see it as just another reason to add them to my kits

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle), 433 Guests and 56 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.