The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#267424 - 02/17/14 05:58 PM Cody Lundin fired from Dual Survival
duckear Offline
Addict

on his FB page

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Cody-Lundin-Aboriginal-Living-Skills-School-LLC/124508247561387

Dual Survival Update

Dear Campers,
Unfortunately, I have been fired by Discovery Channel for differences over safety and health concerns on the show and will no longer be a part of Dual Survival.

Although I’ll miss elements of the show, what I’ll miss the most are my fans and the opportunity to teach - on a global level – life saving skills, indigenous culture, and values of integrity and respect toward our natural world.

I have received numerous letters from viewers. Many are from kids, or their parents or grandparents, describing in detail how the show has changed their lives. It has brought families together, inspired kids to go outdoors, and motivated moms and dads around the world to take that family camping trip, many for the first time. If I can use a TV show to encourage people to turn off TV and turn on nature, I have done my job.

Thank you all very much for your support over the years. Be safe and prepared, and maybe I’ll train with you in the woods some day!

Stay classy,
Cody Lundin

Edited by duckear (02/17/14 05:59 PM)

#267425 - 02/17/14 06:00 PM Re: Cody Lundin fired from Dual Survival [Re: duckear]
duckear Offline
Addict

gonna miss him

DS is done.

frown

#267426 - 02/17/14 07:09 PM Re: Cody Lundin fired from Dual Survival [Re: duckear]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
I'd stopped watching some time ago -- whatever you think of Dave Canterbury, I could watch Dual Survival when he was on it, and when he left the show it wasn't any fun to watch for me.

I hold Mr. Lundin in the highest respect (except, perhaps, for his choice in footwear) and I hope that he gets another TV gig. I'd love to know what the health and safety disagreement was.

#267427 - 02/17/14 07:24 PM Re: Cody Lundin fired from Dual Survival [Re: chaosmagnet]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
Dang it! One of the few shows I liked. I survived the Dave-to-Joe transition. I like both Dave and Joe equally. Don't know if I can survive the Cody-to-whomever transition. Cody was definitely the rock of the show IMHO, the others are OK, but if I had to survive somewhere it would be Cody that I'd want on my team. Hands down.

According to Wiki, season 4 has 20 episodes and was scheduled for broadcast starting in June 2014. Does anybody know if these episodes (assumedly with Cody) are already in the can and ready for broadcast?

#267428 - 02/17/14 07:56 PM Re: Cody Lundin fired from Dual Survival [Re: chaosmagnet]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
I'd love to know what the health and safety disagreement was.

i) How to get a free Walrus meal after scaring off a Polar Bear after its dispatched said Walrus.

ii) Repelling from a towering inferno using Ethernet cable.

iii) How to keep warm in winter by snuggling up to a Grizzly bear.

iV) How to cross a volcanic lava field in yer bare feet.

v) How to traverse a mountain by going through its underground cave system.

vi) How to build a cholera bed using a spare bucket and an IV.

etc etc... shocked

#267429 - 02/17/14 08:25 PM Re: Cody Lundin fired from Dual Survival [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
They already did all that on the Bear Grylls show. They need to come up with some new material.

#267430 - 02/17/14 08:43 PM Re: Cody Lundin fired from Dual Survival [Re: duckear]
JBMat Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NC
I'd watch it for Cody.

Dave was an idiot, confirmed after the cautery incident. Coupled with the fact he lied about his military exploits - sorry, thank you for playing, come again.

Joe was way too much of a paranoid, set up a perimeter, fire the foo gas if they breach the wire personality for me. I respect what he has done, but there is going too far sometimes.

Won't miss it too much. I'd only catch reruns if nothing else was on and no concerted efforts were made to do even that.

Edited by JBMat (02/17/14 08:43 PM)
Edit Reason: new fingers can't type

#267432 - 02/17/14 08:52 PM Re: Cody Lundin fired from Dual Survival [Re: duckear]
bws48 Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Anne Arundel County, Maryland
Too bad; he was the only reason to watch the show. Despite the barefoot stuff, IMO he was always the voice of reason and caution; e.g. don't make the situation worse by taking unnecessary chances.

But I still have a problem with the whole idea of the show, and one point in particular: in every show, both have a knife. There is never any comment about it--it is just a "given." But if they could always have a knife, why never did either of them have a reliable fire starter? Even a dollar store bic knock-off, much less a fire steel? Making fire seemed to be a key "drama" element.

In reality, it takes some training and practice to start a fire, especially by using primitive methods ("rubbing two sticks of wood together), and even if you know what you are doing, it isn't always as easy as it seems. I remember one episode of Survivorman where Les Stroud worked the better part of a whole day to get a fire going. I'd like to see more emphasis on laying the fire and keeping it going...

I fear that the casual watcher underestimates the difficulty of primitive fire starting methods.

If these guys can carry modern knives, they can carry modern fire starting tools--firesteel, lighters, etc... it might actually influence some people do to something simple to help themselves and save lives because someone stuck a bic or firesteel in their pocket. . .because they saw it on TV.

Sorry for the rant guys. . .

#267434 - 02/17/14 09:53 PM Re: Cody Lundin fired from Dual Survival [Re: bws48]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:

In reality, it takes some training and practice to start a fire, especially by using primitive methods ("rubbing two sticks of wood together), and even if you know what you are doing, it isn't always as easy as it seems. I remember one episode of Survivorman where Les Stroud worked the better part of a whole day to get a fire going. I'd like to see more emphasis on laying the fire and keeping it going...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4im0BUkTQdo

Its the old adage, the more you need a fire, the more difficult it is to get. Last week I built a beach fire to keep warm for the days fishing. Sometimes you even have to take some plastic wrapped Commercial dry kindling wood with you to get the fire to take to get the soaked through beach wood to take, let alone matches, lighter etc.

The big log buried in the stand made for a useful wind break and fire base in the hurricane force winds and cold rain in temperatures just above freezing i.e. 3-4 degrees Celsius) that affected the UK last Wednesday. Eventually the fire became substantial enough to start burning soaking wet 5-7 inch wide logs, which were found later along the beach after dragging them back down the beach on an improvised sledge made from a broken creel found washed up on the beach.

#267435 - 02/17/14 10:13 PM Re: Cody Lundin fired from Dual Survival [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
The show will not be missed. Good point about carrying decent fire making materials. A complete and comprehensive kit would weigh all of about four ounces.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 609 Guests and 101 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.