Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#265678 - 12/13/13 02:23 AM the shunned waist/fanny pack
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

OK, fashion wise the waist pack is seen mostly on tourists at Disneyland; but for a planner/prepper/outdoors person its a simple, out of the way place to carry just the right amount of gear - some even include water bottle holders or a hydration bladder.

#265679 - 12/13/13 03:09 AM Re: the shunned waist/fanny pack [Re: TeacherRO]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
Not sure why you think the waist/fanny pack is shunned, or not fashionable? I have a Mountainsmith Tour Lumbar Pack with shoulder straps which I like a lot. It can carry two water bottles, and I especially like it for hiking in hot weather, since my back gets more ventilation. I also use it for short ski tours in easy terrain (when I don't need to carry a avy shovel or a lot of other gear).

Fanny or lumbar packs tend to be on the small side, so one can't carry a lot of extra clothing or gear. For that reason I mostly just use them shorter hikes in mellow weather, where I don't feel the need to carry so much stuff. Used within those parameters they work great.

#265680 - 12/13/13 03:56 AM Re: the shunned waist/fanny pack [Re: AKSAR]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Another adherent of the MS Tour pack, in a very fashionable, tasteful black (you can only imagine how important that is to me), also with the add on straps. It carries very comfortably and is great for the shorter hikes. I also have a very old (about twenty years) North Face lumbar pack - a so called "climbing model" (it features a few gear loops) which I really like when I am on my bike.

Both of these pretty much guarantee that I will have a basic essential load with me all the time. I didn't realize that they were shunned by fashionistas - that's their loss.

#265682 - 12/13/13 05:16 AM Re: the shunned waist/fanny pack [Re: TeacherRO]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
I have a ton of lumbar packs! These include two from True North Gear (a SERAC SAR and a Double Diamond), a Mountainsmith Tour with Strappettes, a Jansport Coltrane, a couple generic ones an fourteen (yes, 14!) Mountainsmith Vibe II's that I picked up from Woot for a project down the road.

While the "fanny pack" isn't very fashionable for urban carry it's not at all out of place on the trail or in the woods. It's actually very hard to beat a well designed lumbar pack for day hikes or hunting and fishing.

#265684 - 12/13/13 05:54 AM Re: the shunned waist/fanny pack [Re: hikermor]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
Originally Posted By: hikermor
Another adherent of the MS Tour pack, in a very fashionable, tasteful black (you can only imagine how important that is to me), also with the add on straps.
I let out my inner flamboyant wild side, and got mine in red! cool

#265685 - 12/13/13 12:16 PM Re: the shunned waist/fanny pack [Re: AKSAR]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Is it true that you hike 1.27 miles faster if you are wearing a red pack, compared to the conservative black?

#265686 - 12/13/13 12:30 PM Re: the shunned waist/fanny pack [Re: AKSAR]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...
I would agree that for hot days and short day hikes the lumbar pack excels. We have been using Kelty Orioles for several years on our prairie hikes. Hers: blue, his: grey. Carries just enough. I do like the MS packs, and I might pick one up soon. I prefer a small backpack when I'm wearing a heavy coat though.

Looks like REI is clearing out their 2013 model year lumbar packs

http://www.rei.com/outlet/category/29354102 No affiliation

Whats next...making fun of those of us who like fruitcake?

#265692 - 12/13/13 01:49 PM Re: the shunned waist/fanny pack [Re: hikermor]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Originally Posted By: hikermor
Is it true that you hike 1.27 miles faster if you are wearing a red pack, compared to the conservative black?

Yes, however black somes with more accessories and automatically adds 15 pounds to how much you can carry due to TACTICAL factors.

Edited by MDinana (12/13/13 01:50 PM)

#265697 - 12/13/13 03:34 PM Re: the shunned waist/fanny pack [Re: MDinana]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
I used to wear a fanny pack day in and day out. But these days, yes, I will admit that you rarely see them in urban settings except for two circumstances: (1) tourists on vacation, and (2) elderly men with concealed guns in them.

On the trail though, I still see quite a few.

#265699 - 12/13/13 04:11 PM Re: the shunned waist/fanny pack [Re: TeacherRO]
JerryFountain Offline
Addict

Loc: St. Petersburg, Florida
In the woods, the small fanny pack is great to keep your 10? essentials in while you are around camp or doing something that separates you from your camp gear. Also great for canoeing if you don't like a loaded life vest (here in FL the vest with pockets is very warm).

In town, not often worn.

Respectfully,

Jerry

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.