Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#259644 - 04/21/13 03:13 PM Goal Zero Products
CJK Offline
Addict

Loc: FL, USA
I was at Costco recently and there was a vendor set up with the Goal Zero www.goalzero.com showing their various solar power products. Looked nice.

Does anyone have any experience with these products? Are they good? I'm curious. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

#259646 - 04/21/13 04:19 PM Re: Goal Zero Products [Re: CJK]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I have the GZ smaller units, the "Guide 10+ power unit and the Solar 7 solar panel." I bought them last year and have only been fiddling with them. I have not had to employ them for any serious purpose, but I am quite satisfied with my purchase.

Although I do a fair amount of backpacking and bike touring, I didn't really buy them for that purpose. I will more likely be using the units when the power grid is down (earthquakes, most likely) and I want to keep batteries charged to run radios, flashlights, and GPS units. All of my devices use rechargeable (Eneloops) AA and AAA batteries and I am confident GZ can keep abreast of my demands when required.

I don't plan on hiking with GZ any time soon, since replacement, fully charged batteries are significantly lighter; reports from others indicate that solar panels mounted on backpacks do not charge very well.

So far, I am quite satisfied with them, and would recommend their acquisition if your contemplated needs are similar to mine. Do shop around - I have seen GZ at Costco; they are also available at REI, another of my favorite haunts.

I have no experience with their larger units, but based on what I have, I would expect them to be good. You are soon dealing with real money when you get into GZ's big boys

Edited by hikermor (04/21/13 04:19 PM)

#259672 - 04/22/13 12:03 AM Re: Goal Zero Products [Re: CJK]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
like hikermor ...I have the Goal Zero 7w panel and a Guide 10 battery pack (get the newer Guide 10 plus pack if you need to charge an i-phone)... I have a tendency to buy gizmos just to see how well they work, and it, along with a Fujicell SCH808F controller charger (12V and 120V options), a Motorola 800mA AC to USB charger, and a 12v female to battery clip power tap form the basis for my attempt to standardize my hurricane equipment to rechargeable AA Sanyo Eneloops

the GZ panel provides power out via 12v female tubular, 6v plug (they refer to as solar), and USB port..

the Guide 10 pack accepts the 6v solar, and USBmini in...it outputs via USB... since it accepts USBmini in, it also works with the Motorola 800mA (should have picked a 1A) to charge from a wall port if necessary, as well as my 12v auto chargers for my older flip phone and Garman nuvi... in the Keys this Summer I got one full charge for my phone from the Guide 10 pack...I was a little disappointed at only one charge, but that was within company specifications

with an additional USB to USBmini cable, it gives me a series of options

Edited by LesSnyder (04/22/13 12:07 AM)

#259680 - 04/22/13 01:48 AM Re: Goal Zero Products [Re: CJK]
Brianlv Offline
Stranger

I have the guide 10, the escape 150 battery, light-a-life, usb luna light, and the 30 watt briefcase solar panels. I live and hike around the southwest. Plenty of sun to charge anything. When hiking I use the guide 10 on my backpack to charge a lithium battery. I use the battery to charge my iphone and power the USB light at night. When camping for a week at a base camp I use the escape 150, 30 watt solar panels, and the light-a-life hanging light. I have been using the goal zero products for last three years and love them. The products are tough and can take a beating. The only problem is that the guide 10 cannot charge a iphone directly.

#259710 - 04/22/13 04:18 PM Re: Goal Zero Products [Re: CJK]
JBMat Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NC
At Harbor Freight (standard disclaimers) I got a Thunderbolt Magnum Solar recharger. Works on stuff that the adaptors (6) fit. Including cell phones, MP3 players, GPS's, etc. Best part is that it was less than $25. Haven't used it yet, when I do, I'll post with results.

#260079 - 04/29/13 11:52 PM Re: Goal Zero Products [Re: CJK]
CJK Offline
Addict

Loc: FL, USA
Thanks so far for the reviews and opinions. Looks like something I'll invest in. I'm always looking for an 'off the grid' power supply.

#260090 - 04/30/13 02:53 AM Re: Goal Zero Products [Re: CJK]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
We all know I'm not a fan of electronics in the wilds, BUT I do see the usefulness of many devices anyway. Charging them is one of the keys in my mind.

It's not Goal Zero, but we've got a little solar panel thingy (I'm such a techie! LOL!) Used it a couple of times to run the radio in the truck during a day at the local water park campground, and avoid draining the truck battery. Worked really well. Simple even for me. Not something I want to pack though. (Hubby IS a techie and does pack it.) Too fragile for my liking.

The Goal Zero ones look much more pack-friendly, almost "soft". How tough are they?

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#260095 - 04/30/13 03:20 AM Re: Goal Zero Products [Re: bacpacjac]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
How tough are they.....Good question. I have not done anything serious with mine, so I can't be sure,but my impression is that they will do fine with reasonable care. If fastened to the exterior of a pack, the solar panels could be shattered in a fall or a hard bump against a tree. I suspect I will put them inside the pack when moving, and set the panels up when stopped.

For most trips, you will be lighter if you simply carry spare batteries rather than a charging rig, especially if you standardize battery types.

#260098 - 04/30/13 06:29 AM Re: Goal Zero Products [Re: CJK]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
I think the solar chargers are more for "expedition" length trips or vehicle use. I really think they're ideal for the latter purpose.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 227 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.