Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#258764 - 04/10/13 02:03 AM Compass question
Snake_Doctor
Unregistered

Thanks to everyone who helped with my flashlight question. All the input and advice is much appreciated. I'll be going wih a fenix model that I can machine down to save space. Thanks again.
The next item is a small compass. I see Brunton used quite a bit, What button compass do you use and/or suggest? Bear in mind this will be in a kit for combat carry, possibly airborne. Thanks in advance for all your help.

#258768 - 04/10/13 02:22 AM Re: Compass question [Re: ]
boatman Offline
Addict

Loc: Michigan
The NATO brass button compass by Pyser (from Bestglide and others) seems to be the gold standard.It is some what expensive. www.survivalresources.com has high grade plastic button compasses.Then there is the SUN micro compass of which is a small base plate model with a rotating bezel.Then there is the compass in the PSP and PSP+ by our very own Doug Ritter.You get a lot of good stuff to build off from.....

BOATMAN
John

#258775 - 04/10/13 02:45 AM Re: Compass question [Re: boatman]
Snake_Doctor
Unregistered

Thanks, Boatman. I'll check it out. Expense isn't really an issue with this particular kit.

#258776 - 04/10/13 02:46 AM Re: Compass question [Re: ]
Snake_Doctor
Unregistered

Hey Izzy, thanks for the info.

#258789 - 04/10/13 04:52 AM Re: Compass question [Re: ]
NuggetHoarder Offline

Loc: Appalachians
Suunto Clipper L/B NH. This is a 1" luminous compass that slips on to your watch band. It's $18 at REI.

http://www.suunto.com/us/en/products/compasses/suunto-clipper-lb-nh

#258796 - 04/10/13 12:05 PM Re: Compass question [Re: ]
Ren Offline
Addict

Loc: Wales, UK

Yeah the Francis Barker button compass is the usual.

If want something little bigger perhaps look at Tru Nord compasses

#258799 - 04/10/13 12:34 PM Re: Compass question [Re: ]
spuds Offline
Old Hand

Loc: SoCal Mtns
Originally Posted By: Snake_Doctor
Thanks to everyone who helped with my flashlight question. All the input and advice is much appreciated. I'll be going wih a fenix model
Yup,great advice,I did same.

#258912 - 04/11/13 11:59 PM Re: Compass question [Re: ]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
S.D.,

What do you want to do with the compass?

I have mixed feelings about button compasses.

If you kind of lost, but are familiar enough with the area that might be able to figure your way out IF you can walk a straight line - or go in a particular direction - using a compass, then a button compass could really help.

If you are really really lost ...

If you've told someone you trust where you were going and about when you'd be back ... and they'll likely start looking for you reasonably soon, then my advice would be to stay put, stay safe, and make yourself as findable as possible. A compass is unlikely to help you.

If you are really on your own, nobody is coming anytime soon, and you haven't a clue where you are or how to get unlost, then first give yourself a big old kick in the butt for getting yourself into this kind of a jam. A button compass probably won't help much, but at least it will help you walk in a straight line ... and might give you a tiny bit of confidence. I hope you make it.

I think you'd be much better off carrying and learning how to use a small clear plastic baseplate compass AND carrying a paper map of the area.

I always recommend selecting a compass that has "adjustable declination" and pre-adjusting it for your area.

My favorite is the Suunto M-3 Leader. Its rock solid.

For a more basic compass I'm intrigued by the newish Brunton O.S.S. 20B Compass available from REI for $15. I don't know the details but apparently Brunton, which was originally an American company, then purchased as a subsidiary of Silva of Sweden, which in turn was owned by somebody else from Europe ... anyway, somehow Brunton separated from all of the above and is now its own small company dedicated to making newly designed high quality compasses in the U.S. How can I not support that????

They appear to be based on the eclipse design they used in expensive fancy compasses in years past. Those "eclipse" compasses used to have a problem with bubbles forming, but I hope with all my heart that they've fixed that issue.

#258920 - 04/12/13 02:46 AM Re: Compass question [Re: KenK]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
The Suunto M-3 Leader is rock solid. I have the Suunto M3G which is the same compass with the global needle. Not a button compass.

#258950 - 04/12/13 02:20 PM Re: Compass question [Re: ]
widget Offline
Addict

I just have to say this. Button compasses are mostly for military SERE kits. They are in the kits so that they can be concealed, even swallowed if captured. They are to aid in general direction travelling, primarily at night. Providing you can escape captivity. Aircrew personnel also carry real compasses for navigation. The button is for eminent capture, to be concealed, hopefully.

I see no value to putting one in a "survival" kit unless you are planning on going behind the lines in enemy territory. You should be able to generally tell N. E. S. and W from the sun. A button compass really can't do much more than the general directions.

If you want to navigate, get a real compass and learn how to use it properly. Practice navigating with the compass and with a map. The Suunto or Brunton compasses come in all sizes and styles, find one that you like and learn it.

Button compasses are a novelty. If you want a general directional compass, get one of the little ones that go on a watchband. Still not that useful for any sort of real navigation.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 609 Guests and 101 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.