Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#258689 - 04/08/13 06:09 AM Newer AMK S.O.L. Scout?
frediver Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: N.Cal.
Just wondering if anyone has checked out the updated Scout Kit ?
The newer model switched out the matches for a Spark lite.

IMO, it still has a few short comings but does not seem as bad
as the original review lead me to believe.
The Whistle seems to have been updated (?) I could not break mine
as easily as 1st. described. Still it is just a plastic loop and that could be
broken but it would take a determined effort.
The mono line in my fishing kit is secured with a very small piece of wire,
improvement, I don't know. My kit had 4 safety pins not 3. I really wonder
why Mono line is included rather than a bobbin of poly thread. Cost wise it's got to be
a toss-up, Bobbin (.10c?) Vs. paying someone to wind the mono?
IMO black poly thread works just as well for fishing/sewing as mono and maybe better
than the 2lb test they include.
I am still stumped by the waterproof bag, why such a small one? If it was larger
it would be both easier to personalize your kit or use it for a spare water
container. If it cost a bit more so what, it would have some real use for something
other than keeping a few small bits dry. Water containers are tough to improvise so I find the lack of one as a stock item a real shortcoming. The 8oz (?) capacity dry bag container does not could as a real water container, IMO a water container needs to be 1qt. minimum in size. Remember most chemical treatments are based on a 1qt size!
I did see that printed inst. on flimsy paper are now included describing the use of
the signal mirror, why not pictures on the back of the mirror instead?
I wonder if the paper would even withstand a wet sneeze??
I really like the kit and wonder why AMK does not invest an extra .50c at
the production level to really improve it ? The money saved from eliminating the
existing dry bag and switching to a HD zipper bag could pay for many of the necessary improvements. The inclusion of a real auxiliary water container, perhaps a whirl-pak bag would be number one on my list ?
I have added some wire, cord, and a few zip ties along with a 1st.aid kit to make a package under 8oz., add water, 1qt to 1 gal depending and I should be good for most minor disasters.
I find that the Scout better fills my expected emergency needs when riding my dirt bike and keep the original Pocket kit in my hiking backpack.

#258690 - 04/08/13 11:16 AM Re: Newer AMK S.O.L. Scout? [Re: frediver]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I believe your post demonstrates why kits made from scratch cn be a lot more suitable than pre-packaged kits. Everyone's situation is different.

#258700 - 04/08/13 06:37 PM Re: Newer AMK S.O.L. Scout? [Re: frediver]
frediver Offline
Enthusiast

I agree concerning kit personalizing, the Scout or Original Pocket Pak are only a place to start in order to make the kit yours.
I was trying to get a feel for what others see as the new Scouts shortcomings, some components have changed ?
When you look at the components in these kits versus purchasing the same items off the rack to make them you can find real value if the kit has quality items to start with.

Ie. Is it reasonable to expect people to have mason twine at home to add to their kit, same with foil and wire but can most be expected to have a mini compass or one handed Spark lite, small clean roll of duct tape or small signal mirror? Ok maybe everyone has a Big roll of duct tape but try making a small roll with it without making a mess.

Edited by frediver (04/08/13 07:14 PM)

#258701 - 04/08/13 08:29 PM Re: Newer AMK S.O.L. Scout? [Re: frediver]
Denis Offline
Addict

Loc: Calgary, AB
I wouldn't want to be stranded in the wilderness with just this kit, but I think that's true of most all kits. On the upside, I like that this kit includes a decent shelter component (the 2 person SOL survival blanket) .... this is something that is not included in most kits I've seen.

If you had a knife with you & had this kit in your daypack along with with a water bottle, some food, map, compass, a flashlight, a small FAK, rain gear, and some extra clothing I think you'd being doing alright if you found yourself spending an unexpected night in the woods. I'd want more, but at least you'd have the basics of shelter & signalling which, I think, are the most important and hardest to improvise.

This is how I'm starting to think of survival kits. They aren't so much the everything that I need in an emergency, but they contain either things I'm not carrying otherwise (like the survival blanket or signal mirror) or backups for my primary gear (like the button compass).

#258703 - 04/08/13 08:44 PM Re: Newer AMK S.O.L. Scout? [Re: frediver]
frediver Offline
Enthusiast

The reason I pick the Scout for riding is because of the shelter component and that is the same reason I chose the Original Pocket pak for my backpak, I already have better shelter. Like Denis I chose my kits based
on expected back up needs to my primary gear.

#258706 - 04/09/13 02:16 AM Re: Newer AMK S.O.L. Scout? [Re: ]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Loc: here
I think that I would (and did) put 50-pound line that bowyers use to make their bowstrings on the bobbin spool. While 50lb test is a bit much for fishing, but is has so many other uses.

#258714 - 04/09/13 01:32 PM Re: Newer AMK S.O.L. Scout? [Re: ]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99

It's an addiction, I tell you.

Is there a survival kit anonymous? I need to join myself. Always trying new stuff. My wife just rolls her eyes. All of my scouts say that they will come to my house when the zombie apocalypse occurs. It is an addiction.

#258717 - 04/09/13 02:58 PM Re: Newer AMK S.O.L. Scout? [Re: ]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Our kitchen counter looks like that right now, Izzy. My son decided that his dad needed a pocket kit for a weekend walk and we now have four new pocket kits ready to fight for their place in a pack or drawer.

Back to the OP, I bought one of the original SOL kits for my newphew a few years ago. I think he was about 8 or 9 at the time. We used it as the starting point for a more robust "I don't want to go camping anymore because I'm suddenly afraid" kit. We tossed it in a backpack with a few comforts of home (like a water bottle, sunscreen, bug juice, fleece.) He used it when we went camping later that summer, getting particularly good non-survivalbut survival practice use out of the matches, whistle, signal mirror and fishing kit, as well as the SAK I gave him wit the kit.

As I understand it, the SOL kit is still in good order, and recently came back from Winter Camp with the Air Cadets. He has replaced and upgraded some of the contents. i.e. it has a butane lighter and pj cotton balls in it now, along with the SAK that we just upgraded to a Leatherman Sidekick for his pocket/belt carry.

Edited by bacpacjac (04/09/13 03:09 PM)

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#258767 - 04/10/13 02:15 AM Re: Newer AMK S.O.L. Scout? [Re: ]
Snake_Doctor
Unregistered

Nice looking PSKs!!! I'm ashamed of the amateurish appearance of mine now

#258771 - 04/10/13 02:31 AM Re: Newer AMK S.O.L. Scout? [Re: ]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: Snake_Doctor
Nice looking PSKs!!! I'm ashamed of the amateurish appearance of mine now

Don't feel bad, Snake. It's what they want. It's a trap to get you to start fiddling with yours and show them new ways to fiddle with theirs. That's how it starts. One little fiddle here. One tiny fiddle there. They'll get into your head. Change your kit. Change you. Before you know it you're one of us... I mean them.

Glorious gear addiction is so much better with allies It's beautiful, really. LOL!

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 429 Guests and 467 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.