Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#258654 - 04/06/13 05:37 PM Lost...and found...in the Everglades
Newsman Offline
Journeyman

Loc: NW Arkansas
<http://www.cnn.com/2013/04/06/us/florida-lost-family-rescued/index.html?hpt=hp_t2>

(CNN) -- Some might say that Scott Schreck ruined his family's vacation, but he also redeemed himself.

The father's wrong turn got his family lost in the Florida Everglades, but his outdoor skills helped steer rescuers to their location..... The airboat became stuck in vegetation and couldn't be turned around.

---

I'm not a fanboat pilot and don't play one on TV.

Story does not mention the distance from launch point.

The skills he used: He made a lean-to on the deck and used the PFDs to cover up for the night, then blew a whistle and an air horn to be found.

From watching the video he's wearing a light on his head, but it appears they were only wearing t-shirts. Could have turned out much worse.

I'm happy for the kids: They've got a great story to tell their classmates.

#258655 - 04/06/13 05:57 PM Re: Lost...and found...in the Everglades [Re: Newsman]
bws48 Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Anne Arundel County, Maryland
All's well that ends well.

But what concerns me is the statement that they could not see him, only hear him. I have no experience in that area, so excuse "uninformed" questions about what could have made him and his family more visible:

1. smokey fire? smoke/flame; also might have helped with warmth and keep the bugs away. (I realize they were in a boat, but it sounds like there trees around, so maybe some land?)

2. Cellphone and GPS? How much, if any, of the area is covered by cell phone service?

3. Sounds like another instance of a PLB being useful.

But, on the whole, he kept his head and made the best of it. A cold night out and some mosquito bites seems the only damage.

I have a four7s light that can be set to flash (and flash SOS); something like this might have helped also. . .

#258656 - 04/06/13 06:13 PM Re: Lost...and found...in the Everglades [Re: bws48]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I am not that familiar with the Everglades, I was struck by my one excursion into Florida swampland by how rare dry land was, even with abundant trees present. Trees don't equal dry land. Very odd place to a Westerner - no mountains anywhere.

#258666 - 04/07/13 02:00 AM Re: Lost...and found...in the Everglades [Re: ]
Glock-A-Roo Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
So let me tell you this...

Terrain like that is not nice.

Roger that Izzy! Looking at the wetlands in FLA it seems like foot travel can basically be impossible in many areas. No boat = no move. Correct?

#258669 - 04/07/13 04:19 AM Re: Lost...and found...in the Everglades [Re: Newsman]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
wow! those pictures really bring the story to life. k wouldn't want to be stuck there! thank goodness he kept his head.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#258672 - 04/07/13 11:23 AM Re: Lost...and found...in the Everglades [Re: Newsman]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
if you get to the natural coastal area of Florida, mangrove swamp are prevalent... visibility is limited and travel is difficult except in channels, that are often difficult to follow.... a GPS with way points really helps...generic picture of mangrove root structure

http://0.tqn.com/d/forestry/1/0/S/r/mangrove_edge.JPG

#258673 - 04/07/13 12:02 PM Re: Lost...and found...in the Everglades [Re: Newsman]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...
Coming from the middle of the continent, I thought the Everglades was prairie when I first saw it. Obviously it's not. I fished and tent-camped there for a week with three other guys. Besides the scenery, abundant birds, fish, lizards and snakes, what I remember was the mosquitoes!

Living, camping, and hunting in the wetland state of Minnesota I'm no stranger to mosquitoes, but this was different. All of us had standard bug spray on but the mosquitoes were undeterred, even in broad daylight. While harvesting a coconut from a tree (a skill I don't get to practice often where I live) I had thousands of mosquitoes on my arms and back within a minute or two even with a fresh dose of 40% DEET spray. We ended up pitching tents early with the openings facing each other so we could talk without being outside. In driving around the area, we saw entire houses encased in frames with bug netting like a house inside a screen tent house.

I think anyone can get lost, and I commend Scott for keeping his cool, sheltering in place, and attracting rescuers. I'm sure he created a few more preppers in the process. I just hope their ordeal with the mosquitoes is over.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Ren), 395 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.