The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#258337 - 03/30/13 02:55 AM First Impressions - Tarred nylon seine twine
Roarmeister Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
Tarred nylon seine twine - AKA "bank line"

I bought 2 rolls of different thickness to play around with. I sourced it from Memphis Net & Twine Co (Tennessee) but there are a number of different vendors out there. It appears that the product started off as a product for maritime fishing, possibly Louisiana. Somewhere it has picked up the label as bank line, trot line and net line.

The rolls were about 1 lb. rolled on a cardboard core. #12 twine has about 1649' and a tensile strength of 106 lb, 1/16". #36 twine has about 504' and a tensile strength of 340 lb, 5/64" diameter. Both are approx. $10/roll. It is supposed to be resistant to abrasion, oil, gasoline, mildew, rot, marine growth and most chemicals. The embedded tar has a distinct smell to it. I'm not sure if this is the type of line you would want to use for snares.

To get a feel for the cordage I spun off about 20' of each and wound it on around a Klean Canteen.

Both types of cordage feel fairly stiff not limp but at the same time very workable. The twine is embedded with tar and has a slight tackniness feel to it. It feels like it will both tie & hold a knot easily yet it won't bind into an unfastenable knot. I look forward have more time with the product.

Note: one thing I didn't realize until I started playing around with it that the tar leaves a bit of black residue on your hands. You will want to wash your hands before eating.

#258345 - 03/30/13 07:41 AM Re: First Impressions - Tarred nylon seine twine [Re: Roarmeister]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Looks like good stuff.

#258386 - 03/30/13 10:06 PM Re: First Impressions - Tarred nylon seine twine [Re: Roarmeister]
boatman Offline
Addict

Loc: Michigan
Dave Canterbury promotes this stuff a lot.He prefers it to paracord...

BOATMAN
John

#258398 - 03/31/13 12:36 AM Re: First Impressions - Tarred nylon seine twine [Re: boatman]
Roarmeister Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
Originally Posted By: boatman
Dave Canterbury promotes this stuff a lot.He prefers it to paracord...

BOATMAN
John

Yeah, that's where I first heard about it. I think I could have ordered the #6 twine as well to compare to the inner strands of paracord. Oh well, hindsight is the best teacher.

I don't think Dave was knocking paracord as much as he was saying it still has a use but for general cordage he prefers the tarred twine because it binds well. Paracord has other properties, for example the outer sheath is very stretchy which works well for other things.

#258416 - 03/31/13 03:09 PM Re: First Impressions - Tarred nylon seine twine [Re: Roarmeister]
ILBob Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Northern IL
I carry some paracord in my packs. You just never know what [or who :)]you might run across that you need to tie up.

If I was an ultra light hiker I might switch to bank line to get the weight down.

Guys like DC need to do something a little different to distinguish themselves from the youtube pack or to get more attention. Thus you get the guys suggesting carrying condoms and tampons. It is not terrible advise as advise goes, but it is a little unusual and grabs your attention.

Bob

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.