The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#253841 - 11/26/12 06:25 AM Signal Mirror flash seen from the air
rafowell Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Southern California
This (excellent) eight-minute National Park Service safety video for Big Bend Park in Texas includes a 3 second segment showing the flashes of a signal mirror as seen from an aircraft.

It is an unusually good example of how much more visible a signal mirror flash makes you - taken at a decent range, viewable up to HD 1080P quality.

The flash is nearly four minutes in, so here's a link that starts you set to HD 720p video 5 seconds before the flashes:

For the full effect, you can immediately pause the video, set quality to 1080p using the "gear" icon at the bottom left margin, and go to full screen with the bottom leftmost icon before proceeding.

For the full video on YouTube (and I do recommend it), go here: Full Video on YouTube (more options for video size, etc.) or click below:

Edited by rafowell (11/26/12 06:31 AM)
Edit Reason: make link more prominent

#253842 - 11/26/12 11:16 AM Re: Signal Mirror flash seen from the air [Re: rafowell]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I took in the entire video. I agree it is an excellent, rational discussion of real outdoor hazards. The cost/benefit ratio of a signal mirror is undeniable. I understand there are instances of mirror flashes alerting aircraft out of sight or hearing - the flashers were simply sweeping the horizon at regular intervals. Can you corroborate?

#253846 - 11/26/12 03:24 PM Re: Signal Mirror flash seen from the air [Re: rafowell]
Glock-A-Roo Offline
Old Hand

Great find as usual. Thanks Rafowell!

#253880 - 11/26/12 11:47 PM Re: Signal Mirror flash seen from the air [Re: rafowell]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
I enjoyed the full video.

Its nice to know how effective a simple signal mirror can be.

I've always wondered about the effectiveness of typical signaling devices at NIGHT. Does a fairly bright flashlight even have a chance of being seen in a remote area (with essentially no other man-made light sources)? Doug had reviewed hand-held laser devices - I wonder how likely it is that one of those will be seen by an aircraft that is up "looking".

#253881 - 11/27/12 12:17 AM Re: Signal Mirror flash seen from the air [Re: rafowell]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I don't have any experience with contemporary flashlights, but I have seen ACR 4F Firefly strobes routinely work effectively with helicopters on night operations. I don't know the lumen rating of the Firefly, but I suspect that some of the higher powered lights of today are equivalent.

#253885 - 11/27/12 01:08 AM Re: Signal Mirror flash seen from the air [Re: rafowell]
BigToe Offline
Journeyman

Another good reason to EDC a decent flashlight. Any light may help - I had to dig for this one, which I remembered reading when it occurred in 2008.

"And a 17-year-old girl who was lost in a remote area of New Zealand, at night, in August of 2008 was found when the crew of a rescue helicopter used night-vision goggles to spot the backlight on the girl's cell phone."

Yahoo News Item - Cellphone Light Guides Rescue Helicopter

I couldn't track down the original article but I believe it was verified.

#253888 - 11/27/12 02:00 AM Re: Signal Mirror flash seen from the air [Re: BigToe]
Pete Offline
Veteran

last post ... she was spotted by the backlight of a cell phone ... that is one lucky Kiwi!
HAHAHAHA!!!!!

But back to the signal mirror topic ...
A few years ago I was talking to a CA coast guard pilot (helicopter) and asking him what method for emergency signalling was best ... flares, bright color markings, signal mirrors etc. His reply was that on a day with good weather (direct sunlight) the signal mirror was by far the most effective way of attracting help from aircraft - it could easily been seen from over 20 miles away.

Pete2

Edited by Pete (11/27/12 02:01 AM)

#253893 - 11/27/12 02:33 PM Re: Signal Mirror flash seen from the air [Re: BigToe]
paramedicpete Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Frederick, Maryland
I can verify this one:

FNP Story - Cell Phone Used In Rescue

Pete

#253917 - 11/27/12 05:59 PM Re: Signal Mirror flash seen from the air [Re: rafowell]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
A small mirror has an extremely high benefit/weight ratio. Just for a fun comparison to a flashlight, I wonder how many lumens a reflection of the sun from one of those small mirrors would be. I know a flashlight would be at night, etc.

#253937 - 11/28/12 07:45 AM Re: Signal Mirror flash seen from the air [Re: hikermor]
rafowell Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Southern California
Originally Posted By: hikermor
<snip> I understand there are instances of mirror flashes alerting aircraft out of sight or hearing - the flashers were simply sweeping the horizon at regular intervals. Can you corroborate?

I don't remember a reported example of that actually happening (though my memory could be the fault).

Certainly, since at least August 1943, the instructions printed on the back of US (and other) military mirrors have recommended sweeping the horizon in the hopes of this.

Sample instruction language:

• US military issued glass MIL-M-18371 mirrors (1950s to current day)

"EVEN THOUGH NO AIRCRAFT OF SHIPS ARE IN SIGHT, CONTINUE SWEEPING THE HORIZON FOR MIRROR FLASHES MAY BE SEEN FOR MANY MILES, EVEN IN HAZY WEATHER."

• French SOS-643 Military mirror (like American B-1 from 1945) Feb. 1954

"Even though, no aircraft of ships are in sight continue sweepink [sic] the horizon. Mirror flashes may be seen 10 miles, away even in hazy weather."

• BuAer Spec 23M5 (AER) ca. 1950

EVEN THOUGH NO AIRCRAFT OF SHIPS ARE IN SIGHT, CONTINUE SWEEPING THE HORIZON. MIRROR FLASHES MAY BE SEEN FOR MANY MILES, EVEN IN HAZY WEATHER.

• NAVY VERSION OF ESM/I : 11/1943:
    ESM/2
    B-I Red retroreflective aimer mirror, 1945:

"PRACTICE SWEEPING HORIZON WITH AIMED BEAM EVEN IF NO RESCUER IS IN SIGHT, AS MIRROR HAS A RANGE UP TO TEN MILES."

• GENERAL ELECTRIC ESM/I Double-sided mirror (cross-shaped aperture):
    PROTOTYPE: 8/1943: ( ALSO ARMY VERSION, SPEC 40654) 11/1943

"WHEN RESCUE CRAFT ARE NOT VISIBLE, PRACTICE SWEEPING CROSS SHAPED SPOT ALONG THE HORIZON. FLASH MAY BE SEEN 10 MILES"

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.