The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#254176 - 12/02/12 01:56 PM Summer Survival Weekend Christmas Gift
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Tasha, if you're reading this, this is not the post you are looking for. wink (DD is an ETS member too.)

My DD (23 yo), DS (Cub Scout, will be 10 yo) and nephew (Air Cadet, 13 yo) are planning a survival weekend this summer. They're going to spend a few days in the bush in my cousin's back 40, probably in July.

The weather for this particular trip should be hot, with temps in the 20Cs - 40Cs. Rain and wind may be a factor. They'll be in the bush with no obvious source of drinking water, but lots of building and fire materials. Of course, having a campfire is going to be very weather dependant, but generally speaking, the ares they'll be in is very wet.

They're all eager campers so this isn't likely to be their last outting together minus the parentals.

With that adventure in mind, I'd put together a little care package for them as a Christmas gift. They've each got their own packs with various supplies so I'm not not looking to outfit the with PSKs, just a few nice to have group supplies, that they use on this and future outtings.

Here's what I'm thinking:

-I've alresdy bought each of the boys their own cheapo 2 man tent (DD already has a solo tent) but I'm thinking I'd rather get them a tarp or GI ponchos, along with some paracord so they can practice making shelters,'which is one of their stated goals
-an esbit stove and a cook pot
-an LED lantern (We want to staying away from liquid/gas fuels - when unsupervised by an experience adult - until the boys get a little more mature)
-GMRS radios

Any other fun and useful suggestioons?

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#254177 - 12/02/12 02:16 PM Re: Summer Survival Weekend Christmas Gift [Re: bacpacjac]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
Jackie... hot weather and open tarp/poncho down here needs mosquito netting...bow saw to prepare shelter poles and firewood...might introduce them to a #10 can twig stove...shovel if they are to the point of a slit trench for latrine...pliers or multi tool to handle hot pots..ground cloth...kero lantern with citronella for bugs...

#254187 - 12/02/12 04:33 PM Re: Summer Survival Weekend Christmas Gift [Re: bacpacjac]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
A good headlamp.
Topo chart (VFR) (@local airports) of the area & a compass
Edible and/or medicinal plant pocket guides (any bookstore)
A folding hand trowel (drain trenches around tents, catholes)

I'll add more later if I think of anything else not already mentioned.

#254191 - 12/02/12 04:49 PM Re: Summer Survival Weekend Christmas Gift [Re: bacpacjac]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Thanks for the great suggestions, guys!

Mosquito netting is the first thing that jumps out at me. The land they'll be using for this trip is almost swampy so the bugs are pretty thick in the summer. Mosquito netting will help keep their spirits up and the gsuge closer to the fun factor than the suck factor.

Wildman, we're going to avoid new wild edibles. They make me nervous as an adult and even more so for the kiddos on their own. There's bunches of mushrooms in this patch of woods, and I don't want them experimenting.

They each have their own survival kits, and have all the basics covered. I'm thinking of this kit more in terms of additional comforts for the group. Topo map, ground sheet and shovel/trowel are going in. I realy like the bow saw suggestion too. I'll be easier than just using their hands/feet/knives but safer than an ax shared amoung three kids with ADHD.

Les, you reminded me that DS and I made a few soup can hobo stoves this past winter. We both usually carry one but adding a bigger one to the group kit is a great idea. They'll be better off practicing their campfire skills than they will lighting an esbit tab with a bic. There will be lots of wood and as long as we don't get a binch of rain, they shouldn't have a hard time find finding standing dead wood that'll light. Maybe I'll throw in a pack of esbit pucks with it just in case.

#254241 - 12/03/12 11:57 AM Re: Summer Survival Weekend Christmas Gift [Re: bacpacjac]
Mark_M Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New Jersey
Give them each one different water purification, fire starting and cooking method; they can try them all and share them around for experience.

I like the compass and map idea. Orienteering and night navigation/hiking were two of my niche leadership contributions at regional/state cub scout events and camps.

Basic hand tools to make bushcraft furniture.

#254243 - 12/03/12 01:34 PM Re: Summer Survival Weekend Christmas Gift [Re: Mark_M]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
possible inexpensive stocking stuffer for the little guys..if you are just heating water or soups, these new surplus Swiss Ranger stoves were on line for about 2/$20...the feed hole has been opened up to accept a Trangia as well as Sterno... Esbit/hexamine tabs and twigs work...nests with a cup with very efficient heating surface, and a spun aluminum bottle with cork stopper...

Edited by LesSnyder (12/03/12 01:35 PM)

#254279 - 12/04/12 04:18 AM Re: Summer Survival Weekend Christmas Gift [Re: bacpacjac]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Loc: here
Is there something along the lines of travel game multipack that they would interested in? I know 6.5 to 7 months can bring about considerable changes in the "what's cool and what's not" category.

#254283 - 12/04/12 11:05 AM Re: Summer Survival Weekend Christmas Gift [Re: Mark_M]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Mark_M
Give them each one different water purification, fire starting and cooking method; they can try them all and share them around for experience.

I like the compass and map idea. Orienteering and night navigation/hiking were two of my niche leadership contributions at regional/state cub scout events and camps.

Basic hand tools to make bushcraft furniture.

Great suggestions, Mark. Trying out a few different ways of doing things would be great for them. They're focused on shelter and fire right now, but water and food are high piorities too. There will be water, they're just going to have to work for it. :-)

i like the map and compass suggestion too. They know the are well so it'll be perfect for some navigqtion practice.

#254284 - 12/04/12 11:07 AM Re: Summer Survival Weekend Christmas Gift [Re: LesSnyder]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: LesSnyder
possible inexpensive stocking stuffer for the little guys..if you are just heating water or soups, these new surplus Swiss Ranger stoves were on line for about 2/$20...the feed hole has been opened up to accept a Trangia as well as Sterno... Esbit/hexamine tabs and twigs work...nests with a cup with very efficient heating surface, and a spun aluminum bottle with cork stopper...

A volcano stove is on MY wish kist, Les. :-)

#254285 - 12/04/12 11:09 AM Re: Summer Survival Weekend Christmas Gift [Re: MoBOB]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: MoBOB
Is there something along the lines of travel game multipack that they would interested in? I know 6.5 to 7 months can bring about considerable changes in the "what's cool and what's not" category.

Downtime entertainment is a great idea, MoBOB. Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 427 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.