Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#252373 - 10/29/12 03:42 PM another take on a paracord survival belt
Glock-A-Roo Offline
Old Hand

Stumbled across this paracord survival belt today. Video here. Pricy, but you can see a lot of craftsmanship in the leather and brass. Has a pretty nifty adjustment design, though for the price they better be using mil-spec cordage.

As is often the case, this product is not something I'd buy outright but it gives me ideas for homebrew projects...

Too expensive for me but looks quite a bit sharper than the other paracord belts I've seen. Would probably be a hit with the swankier private pilots like Doug R! smile

#252387 - 10/29/12 07:07 PM Re: another take on a paracord survival belt [Re: Glock-A-Roo]
Denis Offline
Addict

Loc: Calgary, AB
The biggest reason I wouldn't want a paracord belt is that I don't really like the idea of cannibalizing my belt; I am wearing one for a reason! I'd rather plan on having some spare cordage that won't compromise my clothing system and my ability to carry gear on my person (like my belt knife).

At first blush it looked like this design addressed this weakness, but it looks like the paracord is still an integral part of this design and that using the cord would render the belt useless.

In my mind, for what its worth, it seems like a better design would have the belt be a single piece of leather instead of having that couple inch gap in the middle (as seen at the top of the following photo). This would allow you to use all the cord and still have a working belt.

#252396 - 10/29/12 09:19 PM Re: another take on a paracord survival belt [Re: Glock-A-Roo]
Alex Offline
Old Hand

Loc: -
Even though I love leather belts, but IMO, this ancient belt design is obsolete. It is good as a beautiful dress accessory to impress ladies, but for carrying things like gun, knife, whatever on the waist it's better to go with a military style synthetic webbing designs. They are much more versatile.

However, if you need to just keep your pants in place - you can perfectly survive with only 4-5 ft of paracord instead, using the rest for real survival needs. So, a woven paracord belt is not that bad idea for the cord storage.

By the way, the belt on the image can be fixed with a much smaller piece of the cord, in case you need to use the rest of it for something.

Edited by Alex (10/29/12 09:25 PM)

#252397 - 10/29/12 09:29 PM Re: another take on a paracord survival belt [Re: Glock-A-Roo]
ILBob Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Northern IL
another gimmick to seperate he has to have gimmicks from his money.

Bob

#252402 - 10/30/12 12:56 AM Re: another take on a paracord survival belt [Re: ILBob]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I with IlBob on this - looks gimmicky. When I want a belt that will do more than hold up pants, I reach for a rigger's belt. It has enough rated strength to serve in climbing situations, either as part of an improvised climbing harness or as a sling in rigging a belay or rappel point. It would also make more sense to use some climbing grade webbing to fashion a belt - it could serve in the same way.

Paracord and other bits of string for light duty can be easily stashed in many places.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 184 Guests and 48 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 12:03 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
Yesterday at 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.