Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#251501 - 10/07/12 03:52 PM Gear Pods
roberttheiii Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Connecticut, USA
Does anyone have any experience with Gear Pods? See here: http://www.gearpods.com/

They appear to have fairly high quality stuff in them. Unfortunately not PSP sized, but they look like they'd make a nice gift for someone who isn't inclined to assemble or maintain their own gear. I was thinking of getting one for my father to throw behind the seat of his pickup.

R

[EDIT] P.S. - Plus one has to respect the availability of the Ritter RSK Mk5!

[EDIT 2] P.P.S. - I did a better search here "gearpods" instead of "gear pods" and realized there is a thread on these dating back to 2010. No one seemed to like them back then, I suppose there won't be any new found love.

Edited by roberttheiii (10/07/12 03:57 PM)

#251502 - 10/07/12 04:19 PM Re: Gear Pods [Re: roberttheiii]
Glock-A-Roo Offline
Old Hand

I had the same impression as you: pretty good components, but the pod format doesn't do much for me. A cylinder is an inefficient way to provide volume that has to be stowed in a backpack or vehicle space. It's hard to make efficient use of a cylinder's space because once you get an odd shaped item in there it precludes efficient packing around it.

#251507 - 10/07/12 05:02 PM Re: Gear Pods [Re: roberttheiii]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

It is a different form factor, but could be a good one for some applications. I would like them for water activities. It would be interesting to test a container, abuse it and see how water tight it is over time.

#251508 - 10/07/12 05:16 PM Re: Gear Pods [Re: gonewiththewind]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
They would have something if they developed a pod that was compatible with the "Nalgene water bottle" module, a little fatter than their 3 inch module. Those overhanging caps don't do them any good, either - they are hard to pack efficiently. I fear you can do just as well or better with stuff from the grocery store.

But it is always nice to have options.....

#251511 - 10/07/12 05:58 PM Re: Gear Pods [Re: hikermor]
Roarmeister Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
Originally Posted By: hikermor
They would have something if they developed a pod that was compatible with the "Nalgene water bottle" module, a little fatter than their 3 inch module. Those overhanging caps don't do them any good, either - they are hard to pack efficiently. I fear you can do just as well or better with stuff from the grocery store.

I would think they would snug up quite nicely at the bottom of the pack instead of attaching the insulating pad/roll at that location.

#251512 - 10/07/12 06:26 PM Re: Gear Pods [Re: hikermor]
roberttheiii Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Connecticut, USA
Originally Posted By: hikermor

I was actually thinking they're sized to fit in the fiarly common water bottle pockets on the sides of backpacks...but not having one, I'm not sure...

#251518 - 10/07/12 10:57 PM Re: Gear Pods [Re: roberttheiii]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
I've been looking at them for a while. They seem robust, but I haven't tried them. And while people like to point out that round isn't efficient in some ways, in others it is- no corners or shoulders below the rim of the mouth for gear to get stuck in. But it is a pest to pack, and I do really, really want them to bring out a model that uses the 3.5" Nalgene style body, but this is about the same size as a lot of other bottles out there, so it's a wash.

The face that it is narrower at the body than at the ends is because there is no shoulder inside. I don't see this as a problem- whip it with cord, wrap duct tape around it, make it a found space.

Their basic model of kit follows the same pattern as Doug did designing the PSP and has a lot of the same gear, but it adds a few things (much like John D McCann's PSTK). So regardless of their personal qualifications, they still picked good gear. In terms of price, very similar to the tin based kit from McCann, and not a whole lot higher than the msrp on the PSP with the addition of the little saw and razor knife.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#251525 - 10/07/12 11:54 PM Re: Gear Pods [Re: ironraven]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I took a look at their "SAR" kit. It was filled with generic, overpriced items, some of which could be useful in some circumstances, but not in others.

What does a module weigh? Their site is devoid of basic information.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 305 Guests and 20 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.