Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#251260 - 09/29/12 02:29 PM Caches
usmc0311 Offline
Stranger

Loc: Oklahoma
After reading about back packs and what not and generally people like to over pack , dont fret the military over packs as well!

But that brought up a real concern , I suppose if you live in the urban jungle it could be more challenging , but for us rural folks its not too bad .

A cache is basically a way to ease the load , its not only a tactical advantage but its also a real joy to reach one when you need extra supplies! I personally suggest setting up caches along the routes that you plan to hike or if your preparing for the worst , .

If theres a natural disaster it sure would be nice to know you can protect yourself and your family and that you had food and water and other supplies ,all of these can be accomodated with caches . The importance to the prepper is that when the mob comes (and they will come) if they find minimal supplies they'll leave you alone .

Sportsman Guide and Cabelas and Amazon and several others sell large contaniers , some military grade some just plastic , dont be dismayed over the cheap plastic , as long as theres an o-ring ,no water can penetrate and niether can bugs or other critters , many of these contaniers are large , and I mean big enough to put a few Remington Model 700 SPS rifles in , plus ammo and other things , my idea is that each cache should have a variety of items , always a first aid kit , flashlight ,you guys know the drill , I also keep food on hand (I wont go into food ,everyone has there own tastes ) ,If your like me I carry specific handguns for specific duties , with that said if you have enough cache containers use each small one for different calibers , I usually carry either a 1911 45 acp or a .40 sw Glock 22 , however I recently purchased a Caracal C in 9mm.

I know its tricky if you have lots of different guns , however in the long run , you wont be without , I also have .45-70 , 5.56 and 7.62x39 (building a .308) !

Just something to think about a cache can be strategically located along a highway , hiking trail etc , I prefer using a compass with co ordinates in order to find the caches reason being is if you make it too obvious some one else will figure it out as well!

#251278 - 09/29/12 09:38 PM Re: Caches [Re: usmc0311]
JBMat Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NC
Go one better and easier.

Rent a storage space and stock it. Make sure it is one that has the doors to the outside, not one of the newer ones in a building, so you have access even if power is out and/or the doors to the facility are locked. Wouldn't take much room to store a lot of gear which is protected from the weather to a large extent.

#251287 - 09/30/12 03:18 PM Re: Caches [Re: usmc0311]
usmc0311 Offline
Stranger

Loc: Oklahoma
The problem with storage units are they get broken into frequently , not only that but in an emergency situation , mobs will be watching those and they will be ransacked if they see anyone loading stuff from them , I suppose if you could guard it in the city you might be able to defend it but i doubt it, better have several families go in on with you!

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.