Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#250409 - 08/29/12 03:23 PM Hiking Boots
Vogeler Offline

What do you guys recommend for good hiking boots? My last pair have fallen apart.

#250414 - 08/29/12 07:12 PM Re: Hiking Boots [Re: Vogeler]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Depends entirely upon conditions, but for "normal" situations - relatively dry, no snow or ice, no technical climbing, and a pack weight of less than twenty-five pounds or so, a good pair of running shoes does it for me. If the terrain is rocky and rough, I often go to a mid-weight, leather and fabric hiking boot boot. The most versatile is an approach shoe - for me they work for general hiking, bike riding (I still pedal in old style cage pedals) and lower grade rock climbing.

Stay away from high tops. They constrict your muscles and provide unnecessary weight. They are worthwhile in a work environment where you are swinging picks and shovels, etc.

The most important characteristic of any boot is fit. Your best bet is going to a good outdoor store and getting expert sizing there.

#250418 - 08/29/12 08:13 PM Re: Hiking Boots [Re: Vogeler]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
I've had very good luck with L.L.Bean Cresta boots. I prefer the leather version over the nylon version, but they'd probably perform the same.

I recently bought L.L.Bean's "Waterproof Trail Model Hikers, Mid-Cut", for daily running around, and they are OK, but not as comfortable as the Cresta boots.

I find Goretex lined boots make my feet hotter & sweatier, but when out in the rain or morning dew regular nylon boots are almost unusable (my feet get REALLY soaked).

#250419 - 08/29/12 09:36 PM Re: Hiking Boots [Re: hikermor]
7point82 Offline
Addict

Loc: Orange Beach, AL
Originally Posted By: hikermor
snip...

The most important characteristic of any boot is fit. Your best bet is going to a good outdoor store and getting expert sizing there.

There is the key right there.

The shoes/boots that work for my low arch, low volume feet (no matter how wonderfully thought out and constructed) are WRONG for people with a differently shaped foot.

#250420 - 08/29/12 09:50 PM Re: Hiking Boots [Re: Vogeler]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC

Since 1999, I've put countless miles on multiple pairs of these Lowas. Mostly hiking in Shenandoah National Park on rocky trails and around DC. These are also my winter boot - coupled with Gore-tex gaiters (and Smartwool socks) these keep my feet comfy and dry in two feet of snow and blizzards. I took advantage of a recent sale to keep another pair in reserve. REI should be having another 20% members-only coupon in the next month or two.

Lowa Renegade GTX Mid Hiking Boots - Women's

http://www.rei.com/product/796065/lowa-renegade-gtx-mid-hiking-boots-womens

But feet and boots vary so highly recommend trying on several pair with the socks you plan on wearing. And wise to carry a blister kit on the first big hike, just in case you made a mistake.

Good luck!

#250422 - 08/30/12 12:43 AM Re: Hiking Boots [Re: Vogeler]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

Right boot for the environment and job, there is no one boot for everything.

#250426 - 08/30/12 01:51 AM Re: Hiking Boots [Re: Vogeler]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
What do you guys recommend for good hiking boots? My last pair have fallen apart.

Boots that fit and you don't notice! grin There are shops that will allow you to try out various pairs.

I've had good results recently (very comfy) with Rockport Valverde II for general use but these are now virtually impossible to find. I bought them about 8 years ago and now have finally now started to use them in the last year. Previously I had used some Berghaus Alto Treks purchased in the 1990s. (think Brooks bicycle saddle equivalent) I still have a pair of more rigid soled Berghaus's still in the box dating from 1994. smile

So I'm currently out of date as to what is available out there. But I will still stick with Leather rather than a fabric boot blush

If you do find a pair of boots you don't notice after a month or so, go back a purchase a couple of other pairs! Hopefully it will take you 10 years before beginning the search for the boot holy grail once more.

#250427 - 08/30/12 05:13 AM Re: Hiking Boots [Re: Vogeler]
widget Offline
Addict

I use Asolo hiking boots that are not Gore-Tex. I cannot hike in Gore-Tex boots, they cause my feet to sweat and hurt. Gore-Tex and the waterproof, breathable properties are effected by dirt and mud. So, G-T boots will not breathe at all when dirty or muddy and any percieved advantage is lost.

There are places that Gore-Tex shoes and boots are convenient, like in the city on rainy days or places where they will stay clean.

#250428 - 08/30/12 07:43 AM Re: Hiking Boots [Re: widget]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
One more thing about hiking foot gear - insoles are important too. I often substitute aftermarket insoles for the original. It makes a difference.

#250430 - 08/30/12 11:47 AM Re: Hiking Boots [Re: Vogeler]
ILBob Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Northern IL
I have two pair of military boots. A hot weather pair for warmer times and an intermediate cold weather pair for when it is cold or I want water proof. Both Bellevilles.

They are fairly heavy, especially the IWC, but pretty comfy.

A big advantage is they can often be found new on eBay for <$50 shipped.

I need boots with ankle support. Otherwise my ankles hurt.

Bob

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (chaosmagnet), 341 Guests and 64 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.