Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#250515 - 09/02/12 03:52 PM 3 Knife Reviews
Vogeler Offline

Here are my reviews of three knives I recently purchased. Based on advice gotten on this forum and elsewhere, they are all standard-edged with no serrations and 1095 high-carbon steel.

Introduction: I basically wanted a good, small, lightweight knife for general outdoor and everyday use, something I could strap to a backpack or toss into a pocket for shorter hikes. I also wanted a larger, heavy-duty knife for longer backpacking, camping, or hunting trips.

ESEE Izula II: Available in Desert Tan, Olive Drab, or Black (additional charge for black). I opted for the green one because I like green. It's made from high-carbon 1095 steel with a textured powder-coat finish. Handle scales are green canvas micarta, and have a nice grippy feel. The blade cutting edge is about 2.5 inches long and it comes with a pretty solid injection molded sheath. It also includes a belt clip, paracord, emergency whistle, fire starter, cord lock, and plastic carabiner. As the clip is a bit bulky, I wrapped it with the paracord and made two "belt loops" that are adjustable with the cord lock so I can strap it to a pack or my belt. MSRP: $134.95, SMKW has it for $72.99 for the knife and sheath plus $22.99 for the emergency "extras".

Pros: Lightweight, very sharp from the factory. Relatively small but still a very useable size (actually fits in the front pocket of my jeans). Ambidextrous (important because I'm a lefty). Emergency items are a nice addition. Handle scales can be removed. I also like the many ways it can be carried, i.e. strapped to a pack, on a belt, etc. This is a great knife for EDC (every day carry).

Cons: The powder coat finish means the spine of the blade won't strike sparks from the flint on the fire starter. I imagine you'd have to use the edge, not a good thing.

Overall: This one is definitely a keeper!

TOPS Brothers of Bushcraft Fieldcraft Knife
: I've been drooling over this knife for a LONG time, and finally pulled the trigger. The blade is 3/16" 1095 high-carbon steel (see a pattern here?) and 4.5" long. Overall length is 10 inches. The handle scales (which TOPS doesn't recommend removing) are brown canvas micarta and are a bit more polished than the Izula II but still provide a very good grip. Comes with a survival whistle, fire starter, and black kydex sheath with belt clip. MSRP: $159.95, SMKW price $127.99 (backordered).

Pros: Knife is very beefy, heavy without being awkward, and very sharp. Blade has a modified Scandi grind (I LOVE Scandi's, both for the grind and the history) which is a very versatile grind suitable for carving, skinning, etc. and is still easy to sharpen. The sheath is thick and solid and tightly secures the knife, while it still comes out relatively easily. The blade is coated, which is nice for a high-carbon blade intended for outdoor use. The fire steel is a nice model as well, with two ferro-bars and a striker rod. The handle has divots on both sides to use it as the top holder for a bow drill, and also has "thumb scallops" on each side near the blade for choking up on the blade when carving, skinning, etc. The shape of the grip is really comfortable. The pommel, which is an extension of the tang, has been ground down to make a nice notch to strike on the flint of the fire steel. It also has a lanyard attachment hole.

Cons: The sheath is right-handed only, which is kind of annoying. I can wear it on my left side backwards but it's awkward to draw. I might have to get a different sheath made for it. Also the emergency whistle dangles from the fire steel on a beaded chain and rattles around.

Overall: This knife is everything I'd hoped it would be. I enjoy "minimalist" camping and hiking, and I think this tool will take the place of at least two others I usually take with me.

Ka-Bar Becker BK 16: I've been watching this knife for quite a while as well. I have a Becker Necker that I love, and this knife is basically it's big brother. The blade is 1095 high-carbon, with a black coating on it. Blade length is 4 3/8" long with a full flat grind (early "signature" models with Ethan Becker's signature had a saber grind). Handle scales are removable zytel and include a black and coyote brown set. The sheath is a plastic insert inside a polyester covering with two retaining snaps and a pouch on the front for small items. It also has a belt loop and straps for attaching to a MOLLE system. MSRP: $107.49, SMKW: $79.99 (signature edition).

Pros: This is a nice knife. The blade is solid, and although I've read some reviews that bashed the powder coating for being too thick, I think its fine. The fit on the handle scales isn't exact but still OK. It came sharp out of the box. I like having two different colors of handle scales for it. The style of the sheath is one I really like, although I have some issues with it (see below).

Cons: I'm not a fan of zytel for a field knife. I just don't think it has enough "grip" when wet or in other adverse conditions. The sheath, while it looks cool, is kind of flimsy, especially the plastic liner. I just don't think it would hold up to real heavy use, although for average use it'd probably be OK. I'm also not a big fan of multiple snaps securing the knife in the sheath. Just one more thing to break in the woods.

Overall: With a heavier sheath and micarta handle scales, this would be a great outdoor knife. As it stands, it's still really good and if I didn't have the Fieldcraft Knife from TOPS this would be the one I'd take with me.

Wrap-Up: The ESEE Izula II is a great everyday knife. Scrape a bit of the powder coat off the spine and you've got a spot to strike the flint. The TOPS Fieldcraft Knife is an outstanding outdoor knife designed for all-around use. If I could only take one knife into the woods it would be this one. The Becker BK 16 is also a great knife as it is, and with some mods could challenge the Fieldcraft Knife (but that's why it's almost $50 cheaper). If the Fieldcraft Knife isn't in the budget, the BK 16 is a close second.

-Vogeler

#250516 - 09/02/12 05:00 PM Re: 3 Knife Reviews [Re: Vogeler]
widget Offline
Addict

Thanks for the reviews Vogeler. I have to tell you that when I go out I take a Victorinox Farmer and usually a Mora 510 with a neck lanyard sheath. So, all the Ka-Bar, ESEE and TOPS knives are not my style at all, with the TOPS BoB being the closet to something I might own. Your reviews should provide someone with a sound idea of what the 3 are like and how they are priced. Definately good info.

You should take a look at a custom like a Skookum Bushtool or a Woodlore clone by Adventure Sworn. The prices are less than you paid for the BoB and Ka-Bar. A Skookum would be a nice, last a lifetime investment. Cheers!

#250525 - 09/02/12 07:51 PM Re: 3 Knife Reviews [Re: widget]
Vogeler Offline

Hey Widget, thanks! I am a Mora addict myself. I have multiple Clippers, a Bushcraft Survival series, and a box full of blades waiting on me to put a handle on them. But I also wanted something I could baton through a small tree branch if I had to, and I'm not sure my Moras could stand up to that.

I haven't heard of the two knife makes you mentioned, but I'm going to "ask the google" right now. Thanks for the tip!

Edited by Vogeler (09/02/12 07:51 PM)

#250534 - 09/02/12 09:22 PM Re: 3 Knife Reviews [Re: Vogeler]
widget Offline
Addict

Ths Skookum is Mors Kochanski's design made by Rod Garcia and the
Adventure Sworn is another USA maker that takes serious pride in his work. Both are usually booked up so there can be some wait involved.

I have a few Woodlore clones (the Ray Mears knife) that were made by a UK maker and I have a Skookum clone made by another. Never could get Rod Garcia to answer my emails frown

http://bushcraftusa.com/forum/showthread.php/56760-Knife-Models

http://skookumbushtool.com/

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 406 Guests and 28 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.