The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#248331 - 07/11/12 06:45 PM Unrestrained objects in car during collision
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Southern California
How do you restrain small objects in your car/truck from going flying during a traffic collision? I just purchased my first "tall" vehicle (Honda CRV), and there's not much in the way of compartments with lids. I'm not really concerned with an errant Bob Seeger CD, but getting taken out by my own SAK or window punch would royally suck!

Edited by Mark_R (07/11/12 06:46 PM)

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane

#248332 - 07/11/12 06:52 PM Re: Unrestrained objects in car during collision [Re: Mark_R]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Consider putting in some kind of pet or other partition if you have things in the cargo area. I don't permit much in the way of loose items in my car -- I'd hate to get brained by my little one's booster seat, but I'm thinking I'll accept the risk.

#248333 - 07/11/12 06:57 PM Re: Unrestrained objects in car during collision [Re: chaosmagnet]
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Southern California
Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
Consider putting in some kind of pet or other partition if you have things in the cargo area. I don't permit much in the way of loose items in my car -- I'd hate to get brained by my little one's booster seat, but I'm thinking I'll accept the risk.

The problem isn't so much the cargo area as the main cabin. The car seats are all LATCH mounted, so I don;t think I'm going to get lobotomized by those. But, not everything up front can be stored in the glovebox, and I might need to get to the punch or SAK in a hurry.

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane

#248334 - 07/11/12 07:21 PM Re: Unrestrained objects in car during collision [Re: Mark_R]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
I have a knife with a window punch on it in the driver's door pocket. When I tried to secure it with Velcro I couldn't get the adhesive to work on the car. I ended up stuffing a bunch of napkins (I'm always needing them anyway) to "secure" it in place.

#248336 - 07/11/12 07:44 PM Re: Unrestrained objects in car during collision [Re: Mark_R]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
Man, right on the fringe of my memory was a thread discussing this a couple years ago. More a warning about not keeping laptops, loose change, sharps and the like sitting out in the open and becoming a projectile . I remember it because right after around then DW, who is a car slob, was in a hit and run collision in her minivan and it was a S storm in there. One the shoes she was wearing was found behind the 3rd row seat in the cargo area.

#248345 - 07/11/12 08:38 PM Re: Unrestrained objects in car during collision [Re: Mark_R]
Lono Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Pacific NW, USA
You missed a good opportunity for upsell from the dealer - ask them about accessories intended to store your stuff in the front seat area. My wife has a CRV and you're right, the storage is pretty minimal. See if the dealer knows any CRV options. the Honda dealers hereabouts are all about service (and selling you an aftermarket fitting).

#248356 - 07/11/12 11:27 PM Re: Unrestrained objects in car during collision [Re: Mark_R]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC
In a high-speed impact or any speed rollover, I may rue the day I put a lot of stuff in my Honda Element. At least any pointy things (knives, shovel) are secured in sheaths but they could leave a heckuva bruise. The knives are tucked away in a closed side compartment so I'm confident those are pretty secure.

This does make me think I should wrap in a towel the large open-ended wrench I keep for my bike rack. Most of this stuff is in an Action-Packer which is kept in place by Thule straps, but that would not be sufficient in a rollover and maybe not a high-speed non-rollover crash.

Does the CRV have tie-down hooks? You might look at getting a zip-top tote or duffel bag and securing it to such a tie-down hook or under one of the seats, etc.

I'm fond of LL Bean's "Hunter's Tote Bag" and use two large black ones in my car - they are virtually invisible if anyone peers through the tinted rear and side windows.

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/38534?feat=677-GN1

#248368 - 07/12/12 02:08 AM Re: Unrestrained objects in car during collision [Re: Mark_R]
akabu Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Brooklyn NY
A wool blanket or as I do a movers blanket when carrying a load and Fold Over and bungie cord it tight this is for the rear open area of the cars anything else is light weight.

#248378 - 07/12/12 03:12 AM Re: Unrestrained objects in car during collision [Re: akabu]
Snake_Doctor
Unregistered

Cabellas has seat covers with pockets on the back.
Duluth Trading Comany has a nice bag called The Cab Commander. Galls has a police bag which holds a lot and is organized. There are also many options including a full length shelf which attaches to the visor anchor and ythe visor reattach to it.

#248391 - 07/12/12 05:41 AM Re: Unrestrained objects in car during collision [Re: Mark_R]
cfraser Offline

Loc: Toronto area, Ontario, Canada
I keep a rock pick (and CS chisels) on my car's back seat, for both designed and emergency reasons. I really oughta lock that down better. It's encased so it won't brain me, but it's not well-located to reach quickly. I don't like a lot of "junk" in the front seat area. A pocket on the passenger seat back would be good (for me!). Had those on previous cars, not this one. I did try mounting a spare backpack to the pass. seat back and putting the stuff in there...wonder what happened to that idea? I can't imagine... smile

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.