The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#246937 - 06/12/12 12:25 AM Students stranded 9 days, walk out intact
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Happy endings are best. Two students got more adventure than they planned on, but walked out under their own steam after nine days.

Some mistakes, but some good decisions too. And IMO the right attitude.

They waited out the rain and a snowstorm, waited until the river was safe to cross, and walked out to meet SAR on the main road.

Brown said he relied on his past experience hiking and camping and felt confident in the couple's ability to survive.

"I believe when you go into the bush you take your life into your own hands and need to be prepared to handle whatever conditions occur," he said. "We could have been more prepared, but in the end we were prepared enough to walk ourselves out."

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/travel/st...2592/story.html

#246966 - 06/12/12 12:11 PM Re: Students stranded 9 days, walk out intact [Re: dougwalkabout]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
There's not a ton of into there but I like their attitude. "We could have been more prepared, but in the end we were prepared enough to walk ourselves out."

They didn't have enough food and they didn't have a phone or PLB/SPOT, but otherwise, it sounds like they made smart decisions. Glad they made it out and in pretty good shape too.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#246969 - 06/12/12 01:52 PM Re: Students stranded 9 days, walk out intact [Re: dougwalkabout]
ILBob Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Northern IL
It seems to me that in the vast majority of survival situations, most people do OK if they don't panic and do some thinking about their situation first, regardless of their level of expertise, gear, and supplies.

The ones that seem to get into trouble the most seem to be those that ought to know better, or try to self rescue when it would be better to just wait things out like these kids did. Things usually do get better.

Bob

#246973 - 06/12/12 02:53 PM Re: Students stranded 9 days, walk out intact [Re: dougwalkabout]
bws48 Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Anne Arundel County, Maryland
Interesting that there is no mention of a fire: the hot springs kept them warm instead. I wonder if they could/did have a fire? They mention "cooking" on the day they walked out. Should we assume they did have access to a fire? Or was that just a way of saying they made something up?

#246987 - 06/12/12 10:31 PM Re: Students stranded 9 days, walk out intact [Re: dougwalkabout]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
Great ending, they might as well get married now. Otherwise, it'll be a case of "Remember New Zealand?" for the rest of their lives in other relationships.

Originally Posted By: bws48
Should we assume they did have access to a fire? Or was that just a way of saying they made something up?

I'm OK with assuming they had fire. They cooked rice. I suppose the rice could have been pre-cooked, but that seems unlikely.

#246995 - 06/13/12 01:50 AM Re: Students stranded 9 days, walk out intact [Re: dougwalkabout]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
It's hard to find additional details. Apparently it's not newsworthy unless someone (almost) dies. Oh well.

It seems they were backpacking on the south island, so I assume they had a gas stove.

Also, they apparently missed the worst of the snowstorm. Still, temperatures dipped down to 17F. The SAR spokesman suggests there could have been a different outcome without the hot pools, which they used to fullest advantage. I'm not sure that a Wisconsin boy would fold up all that quickly in the face of a little brisk weather; but NZ has a lot of very young mountains, and I'm not sure there's much suitable vegetation for shelter and fire.

#247019 - 06/13/12 02:10 PM Re: Students stranded 9 days, walk out intact [Re: dougwalkabout]
Pete Offline
Veteran

given that they made some basic mistakes with lack of preparation .. I think their later decisions were pretty sensible. good for them!

Pete2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 426 Guests and 33 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.