The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#246012 - 05/19/12 07:11 PM Pocket Tinder Kit
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
We had a bunch of tinder left over from our camping trip last weekend. We wanted to keep it so we could use it in a pinch if we need it, so we put together a little pocket tinder kit using an old Altoids-style tin. It contains:

-birch bark
-cedar bark
-pine wood chips
-cedar twigs
-pine pitch
-cotton balls

It should all work together to make a nice tinder bundle. That's the plan anyway. wink I closed it with some duct tape to help keep everything dry. The tin would make a great vessel for making char cloth but we haven't put in any source of ignition. A spark lite might fit... any other suggestions?

EDIT: I don't have an extra spark lite around but a book of matches fit in nicely. I threw in some strike anywhere matches as well.

Edited by bacpacjac (05/19/12 07:53 PM)

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#246024 - 05/20/12 03:06 AM Re: Pocket Tinder Kit [Re: ]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
You can semi-waterproof the tin by putting a band of electricians tape around the seam of the lid when it's closed. Not perfect, but helpful.

Great idea, Izzy! Thanks!

#246026 - 05/20/12 06:06 AM Re: Pocket Tinder Kit [Re: bacpacjac]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Nice assortment of tinders! Lately I've been carrying a "fire bag" when out in the woods. It's about the size of a soda can and made of sil-nylon. It didn't come seam-sealed so I DIY sealed it with silicon; I can fill it with water and it doesn't drip thru the seams now. It has a drawstring closure so wouldn't want to immerse it but it's highly water resistant. I keep various fire making items in it. Of course, your tinder pack is much more compact and easier to carry!

#246027 - 05/20/12 06:16 AM Re: Pocket Tinder Kit [Re: bacpacjac]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA
good idea,it beats a tin of stuff you don't really need
i'm doing just about the same thing for the June canoe trip.on a "coal to Newcastle" theme i have a small zip lock of Birch bark.
it was some i picked up last summer off a beach on Lake Superior and had it just sitting around my den.
with a forest full of downed Birch it seems like you would not need to carry it in but being able to pull out a hunk of bark from the food pack and put a match to it beats bashing around a wet brushy forest to find some and i think it makes a better fire starter than something you could buy.

#246031 - 05/20/12 01:23 PM Re: Pocket Tinder Kit [Re: Phaedrus]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Phaedrus
Nice assortment of tinders! Lately I've been carrying a "fire bag" when out in the woods. It's about the size of a soda can and made of sil-nylon. It didn't come seam-sealed so I DIY sealed it with silicon; I can fill it with water and it doesn't drip thru the seams now. It has a drawstring closure so wouldn't want to immerse it but it's highly water resistant. I keep various fire making items in it. Of course, your tinder pack is much more compact and easier to carry!

See, now I want something bigger... :-) KIDDING! sort of.

My son has also put together a little bundle of kindling that's got some fat wood and an assortment of branches. I'm on the hunt for some sort of bag for it and you sil-nylon bag sounds like a great solution. Thanks Phaedrus!

#246032 - 05/20/12 01:27 PM Re: Pocket Tinder Kit [Re: CANOEDOGS]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: CANOEDOGS

with a forest full of downed Birch it seems like you would not need to carry it in but being able to pull out a hunk of bark from the food pack and put a match to it beats bashing around a wet brushy forest to find some and i think it makes a better fire starter than something you could buy.

I've been caught twice where it was extremely difficult to find or process dry tinder so I'm a big believer in bringing some with you. Free from Mother Nature is my favourite kind!

#246036 - 05/20/12 02:30 PM Re: Pocket Tinder Kit [Re: bacpacjac]
widget Offline
Addict

I would go to http://firesteel.com/firesteel-miniature and buy a few of these. at $1 each they will light a lot of tinder. Add one to your kit, ot two. They are smaller than your strike anywhere matches. I keep one in my old matchsafe with my matches and it is just one more tiny insurance policy if I ever really need a fire in an emergency.

#246037 - 05/20/12 02:58 PM Re: Pocket Tinder Kit [Re: widget]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: widget
I would go to http://firesteel.com/firesteel-miniature and buy a few of these. at $1 each they will light a lot of tinder. Add one to your kit, ot two. They are smaller than your strike anywhere matches. I keep one in my old matchsafe with my matches and it is just one more tiny insurance policy if I ever really need a fire in an emergency.

Great thought, Widget. thanks! we saw a nice little one at the army surplus store yesterday and may stop in to get one on our way to a hike this afternoon. I prefer a ferro rod but DS hasn't mastered it yet. Think I'll leave his kit as is with matches, (he manages much better with a bigger handled ferro rod like Bear's anyway) and add one of these to mine, at least until he's got the knack of it.

#246044 - 05/20/12 05:56 PM Re: Pocket Tinder Kit [Re: bacpacjac]
Frozen Offline
Journeyman

DW discovered that dry milkweed fluff will burst into easy flame from the sparks of a firesteel or similar.

#246046 - 05/20/12 07:19 PM Re: Pocket Tinder Kit [Re: Frozen]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Frozen
DW discovered that dry milkweed fluff will burst into easy flame from the sparks of a firesteel or similar.

Thanks for the reminder, Frozen. Milkweed is our Scout Troop's natural tinder of choice. DS and I haven't found any yet this spring but expect to when we hike the local marsh this weekend. We'll definitely be grabbing some!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 295 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.