Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#241875 - 02/26/12 08:30 AM Survival/EDC- Superglue?
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
How many of you carry superglue in your FAK, PSK or EDC? I used to carry a four pack of the single-use superglues in my medium FAK, but eventually the available literature dissuaded me from using it seal cuts so I took it out. I did keep it at home, however.

Well, a couple of days ago my lack of preparedness put me in a tough spot. blush I've worn contacts for years, the disposable kind. Not long ago I used my last pair and as my prescription had expired I opted to wear my backup glasses until I had a chance to see the eye doc. Well, a few weeks turned into a couple of months since I've been really busy with work and school. So Friday as I get up to go to work, what happens? Yeah, the bow pops out of the socket of my glasses, making them unwearable. Like I said, now I'm really in a pickle! Without my glasses my eyes are so bad that I can barely find my glasses! Luckily I remembered the Crazy Glue and roughly where I keep it. With the tube about 8 inches from my face I managed to glue the bow. And yeah, it should work for awhile because a couple years ago the same thing happened to the other side! blush blush

Okay, when you're prescription is nearly 6 cylinder power it's a major goof to not have at least one backup. Without the crazy glue I would have had no viable way to cobble them up til Monday (knock on wood!).

This is making me seriously consider tucking a tube or two of the disposables back into my FAK or PSK. A multitool, some duct tape, a bit of wire, a needle & thread and some good glue will fix a helluva lot of things.

Do you folks carry glue in any of your EDC, PSK or FAKs?

#241879 - 02/26/12 11:21 AM Re: Survival/EDC- Superglue? [Re: Phaedrus]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Phaedrus
Well, a couple of days ago my lack of preparedness put me in a tough spot. blush I've worn contacts for years, the disposable kind. Not long ago I used my last pair and as my prescription had expired I opted to wear my backup glasses until I had a chance to see the eye doc. Well, a few weeks turned into a couple of months since I've been really busy with work and school. So Friday as I get up to go to work, what happens? Yeah, the bow pops out of the socket of my glasses, making them unwearable. Like I said, now I'm really in a pickle! Without my glasses my eyes are so bad that I can barely find my glasses! Luckily I remembered the Crazy Glue and roughly where I keep it. With the tube about 8 inches from my face I managed to glue the bow. And yeah, it should work for awhile because a couple years ago the same thing happened to the other side! blush blush

See, there, you are halfway to a McGyver episode already! Not sure that it would draw great ratings, but with a bit of wire, a car battery, and some weight loss powder I'm sure you can rig up an explosive conclusion.

#241880 - 02/26/12 12:02 PM Re: Survival/EDC- Superglue? [Re: Phaedrus]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...
How many of you carry superglue in your FAK, PSK or EDC? This is making me seriously consider tucking a tube or two of the disposables back into my FAK or PSK. A multitool, some duct tape, a bit of wire, a needle & thread and some good glue will fix a helluva lot of things.

I keep a standard sized unopened tube in my kit. I tape the top to the side of the tube to keep it from puncturing the foil seal in the standard position. I also have one of those little eyeglass repair kits with the mini screwdriver and extra screws.

The other items you listed are also in my kit. The 'usefulness to weight/cost ratio' is very favorable.

#241888 - 02/26/12 12:55 PM Re: Survival/EDC- Superglue? [Re: Phaedrus]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I was surprised to find that the best eyeglasses 'driver I've ever used was on my Leatherman Flair! shocked Better than all my microdrivers, and it lets me really torque them down.

I'm not sure that McGuyver was so ill prepared as me! For a survival forum it's tough to admit that I dropped the ball like this. But it's a teaching opportunity- when I get my script next week I plan to order some extra pairs online.

#241889 - 02/26/12 01:04 PM Re: Survival/EDC- Superglue? [Re: Phaedrus]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...
I was surprised to find that the best eyeglasses 'driver I've ever used was on my Leatherman Flair! shocked Better than all my microdrivers, and it lets me really torque them down.

I'm not sure that McGuyver was so ill prepared as me! For a survival forum it's tough to admit that I dropped the ball like this. But it's a teaching opportunity- when I get my script next week I plan to order some extra pairs online.

Check this out for cheap prices:

http://www.zennioptical.com/

#241895 - 02/26/12 03:39 PM Re: Survival/EDC- Superglue? [Re: Phaedrus]
Meadowlark Offline

Loc: Northern Colorado

Ugh, I hate it when glasses break! At -6.75 nearsightedness, I completely understand how it must've felt.

I always carry an unopened mini tube of super glue in my larger PSK for this reason. In addition I keep the aforementioned repair kit and an extra pair of glasses in all my kits. Extra contact lenses, as well -- but more for those "Oops, I forgot to pack an extra pair for the business trip" moments as opposed to when there's an actual emergency/disaster. After a few bacterial infections, I'm a real stickler for glasses in rough situations.

Worse case scenario, if you hadn't had the glue, I suppose duct tape and a fine twig could work...
My knapsack on my back

Current kits: http://forums.equipped.org/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showgallery&Number=241840

#241898 - 02/26/12 05:27 PM Re: Survival/EDC- Superglue? [Re: Phaedrus]
bsmith Offline
day hiker
Addict

Loc: ventura county, ca

i do.

i carry a few of the small, single-use superglue tubes.

light weight, versatile, why not?

#241920 - 02/27/12 07:09 AM Re: Survival/EDC- Superglue? [Re: Phaedrus]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA
those little tubes are the best idea to come along,super glue wise,in ages.i take a couple in my canoeing repair kit.so far i've just used one to repair a guide o a fishing rod.

#241921 - 02/27/12 08:13 AM Re: Survival/EDC- Superglue? [Re: Phaedrus]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

It's amazing how well superglue works on certain things. The left bow of my backup eyeglasses was glued six years ago and it still holding! It doesn't work on everything but it's amazing on the stuff it does work on. The only problem with the single use tubes is that I hate to waste any of it!

#241927 - 02/27/12 02:17 PM Re: Survival/EDC- Superglue? [Re: Phaedrus]
Kuzushi Offline
Stranger

I tend to prefer the Krazy Glue brand that comes in the plastic tube. I've had the foil tubes rupture in my gear and make a real mess.

Krazy Glue

Also the plastic vial inside the case seems more robust (and compact) than the foil type tubes. You could probably get away with just putting the 'vial' in a small psk along with the tack used as a cap.

One caveat, after you pierce the vial and are using the tack as a cap it's probably not as secure outside the tube as a standard screw on lid. Though I've never had a leak when storing it in the outer tube. And it will stert to dry in the neck of the vial. But I've found a pin or thin paperclip to be effective for pushing the dried glue back.

Here's a picture I found online of the 'vial'. It's not myy picture.
http://mlblogsjaneheller.files.wordpress.com/2008/11/krazyglue.jpg?w=500&h=347

No affiliations.

ETA: picture of vial.

Edited by Kuzushi (02/27/12 02:21 PM)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 413 Guests and 59 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.