The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#240550 - 02/05/12 11:47 AM UCO Original Candle Lantern
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
How many of you folks use the UCO Original Candle Lantern? I recently bought one based on the myriad rave reviews. I thought it prudent to thoroughly try it out at home before relying on it in the wilds. After burning a box of candles I want to post a few impressions. Overall I like it a lot. The design is better than the execution.

The positives: The thing has worked flawlessly for me. The spring does allow the candle to burn completely down to nothing. There's a wax catcher but there's very little waxy mess- most of it burns. The globe/wind screen works very, very well.

The negatives: You might think I'd list the $1.10 per candle as a downside. However, I don't. They're superb candles and I doubt you could better them for the price. My main issue is that the unit is pretty flimsy. Normally you don't need to completely disassemble it, but when you do you notice how flimsy it really is. So much so that it's tough to reassemble. I'd love to spend 2x or even 3x on a better built version of this lamp.

That said, overall I really do love it. So much so that I'll be buying a few more. But I really wish it was a bit sturdier. If I was borderline-hypothermic, hands shaking, I'm not confident I could put this back together if I had to break it down to work on it.

What do you all think of the UCO lantern?

#240551 - 02/05/12 01:15 PM Re: UCO Original Candle Lantern [Re: Phaedrus]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Bottom line - I like them, although I don't used them very much. Candle lanterns are very traditional - just the ticket for lighting our path as we pick up our alpenstocks and leave the hut for our predawn start up the Matterhorn. I generally like any appliance that provides both heat and light (like this forum).

The downside is that, where I live anyway, is that the candles melt and freeze up the mechanism very easily. This has always been a problem for me with all candles, not just UCOs. Hence they are not a very prominent part of my kit.

I think you are right about their light construction, but they will function with reasonable care, as long as the candles don't melt on you...

#240553 - 02/05/12 01:48 PM Re: UCO Original Candle Lantern [Re: Phaedrus]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

At what point do they melt? I've seen a high temp of 113 F in my life although we rarely get much over 100 F. The lowest I've seen is -38 F, although I doubt a candle minds being cold.

I think it's the bee's knees for using in power outages, etc at home. Probably nice for camping if I can suss out how warm it can get w/o melting.

#240557 - 02/05/12 04:28 PM Re: UCO Original Candle Lantern [Re: Phaedrus]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Probably in the car or garage. 113 is not a typical day in CA, but any typical summer day can see a car heat up to over 140 degrees inside.

I'm with Hikermor- I have one, it's kind of a fun novelty item, but I've never used one outside my house.

#240565 - 02/05/12 11:15 PM Re: UCO Original Candle Lantern [Re: Phaedrus]
LED Offline
Veteran

I have one in brass and aluminum and love them. I use beeswax and paraffin candles. They work well for general camp lighting.

#240566 - 02/05/12 11:40 PM Re: UCO Original Candle Lantern [Re: Phaedrus]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I've heard that older versions were brass. Are those still available? I've never seen one before.

#240567 - 02/05/12 11:41 PM Re: UCO Original Candle Lantern [Re: hikermor]
jamesraykenney Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Beaumont, TX USA
Originally Posted By: hikermor
Bottom line - I like them, although I don't used them very much. Candle lanterns are very traditional - just the ticket for lighting our path as we pick up our alpenstocks and leave the hut for our predawn start up the Matterhorn. I generally like any appliance that provides both heat and light (like this forum).

The downside is that, where I live anyway, is that the candles melt and freeze up the mechanism very easily. This has always been a problem for me with all candles, not just UCOs. Hence they are not a very prominent part of my kit.

I think you are right about their light construction, but they will function with reasonable care, as long as the candles don't melt on you...

Order the beeswax candles for them. They have a MUCH higher melting point. The stock candles completely melted in my car in the Texas summer(duh...) The Beeswax ones do not even seem to get soft!
One warning... I have heard that it is a very BAD idea to use them in bear country! eek
Note... That last bit was NOT A JOKE.

#240570 - 02/06/12 12:51 AM Re: UCO Original Candle Lantern [Re: Phaedrus]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC

I much prefer the UCO Candlelier (3 candles), can boil a cup of water on top and it puts out nice light for a picnic table. Used a few candleliers during a week long power outage at a friend's vacation home after Hurricane Irene last summer.

I have several of those and quite a few of the original UCO lanterns - started buying them 20 years ago, when they were a lot cheaper. The originals seem overpriced to me now.

+1 on the beeswax candles but the regular candles are one-third the price.

#240581 - 02/06/12 03:04 AM Re: UCO Original Candle Lantern [Re: Phaedrus]
jzmtl Offline
Addict

Loc: Montreal Canada
Originally Posted By: Phaedrus
I've heard that older versions were brass. Are those still available? I've never seen one before.

Aluminum and brass appears to be two separate items, my local store has both and the brass is $7 more.

#240583 - 02/06/12 03:19 AM Re: UCO Original Candle Lantern [Re: jzmtl]
LED Offline
Veteran

Oops, sorry for the confusion. I meant one of each in brass and alu. Mine is a farily recent purchase so I'm sure you can still buy them. Its twice the weight but the brass looks very classy.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (chaosmagnet), 468 Guests and 68 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.