Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#239941 - 01/23/12 04:46 PM Wife stops moose stomping with shovel
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
An interesting story in this morning's paper:
Wife stops moose stomping with shovel

As I've noted in other posts, moose aren't usually agressive, but can be dangerous if they are agitated. It is quite common to see moose, especially in winter. Generally, if you just leave them alone and keep your distance there is no problem.

A couple of years ago my wife and I had a scary encounter one night when skiing on one of our local in town trails. We inadvertently got too close to a mamma moose and baby. Our dog may also have agravated mamma. No one got stomped, but it was tense for a minute.

Some years back (in the 90's I think), a man was stomped to death on the UAA campus. It was inadvertently caught on video, which I saw at an wildlife safety class. (Someone can probably find it on Youtube.) He was new to Alaska, and was just walking by on the sidewalk, close to the moose. The moose turned and started kicking him. He went down and the moose started to turn away. He started to get back up, obviously disoriented, and the moose turned and stomped him to death. It turned out that some people had been throwing snow balls at the moose earlier.

#239944 - 01/23/12 05:27 PM Re: Wife stops moose stomping with shovel [Re: AKSAR]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Good story. I appreciate the calm rational attitude of the couple, very clearly experienced Alaskans, in their future plans.

#239945 - 01/23/12 05:29 PM Re: Wife stops moose stomping with shovel [Re: AKSAR]
nurit Offline

Loc: NYC
What a terrific story!

#239957 - 01/23/12 09:32 PM Re: Wife stops moose stomping with shovel [Re: AKSAR]
GarlyDog Offline
τΏτ
Old Hand

Loc: The People's Republic of IL
She did what had to be done. Love it. I could see my wife doing this, especially if it was hurting one of the dogs. Females, of all species, protecting their loved ones are downright dangerous.

#239980 - 01/24/12 07:00 AM Re: Wife stops moose stomping with shovel [Re: GarlyDog]
MostlyHarmless Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Norway
Wow! NOW I am impressed!

I find this piece of information relevant for all of us:

Originally Posted By: AnchorageDailyNews

She checked her pockets for her cellphone but couldn't find it -- she forgot it was in her purse, back in the truck.

Even if you manage to stay on top of a stressfull situation you can't expect your brain to function as normal. In a state of alert you can do amazing things physically, but fine motor skills and complex cognitive skills are way below normal.

#239981 - 01/24/12 10:56 AM Re: Wife stops moose stomping with shovel [Re: AKSAR]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Good story, but I am NOT going to EDC a shovel!

#239997 - 01/24/12 04:55 PM Re: Wife stops moose stomping with shovel [Re: AKSAR]
Pete Offline
Veteran

So .. if your wife stops hitting the moose with the shovel,
who's she gonna' hit instead?

Just saying :-)

BTW, you are very lucky to see moose.
I've never seen one of those animals.
I've been lucky enough to see a lot of other wild animals ... but have never made it to moose country.

Pete2

#240019 - 01/24/12 10:37 PM Re: Wife stops moose stomping with shovel [Re: MDinana]
nursemike Offline
Old Hand

Loc: wellington, fl
Originally Posted By: MDinana

MD-the shovel is not the solution here. Consider hiring an 85 year old alaskan school teacher to back your play. Local alternative might be an ER night nurse.

I would recommend marrying one, but that might be more hazardous than mucking about with an enraged moose.

#240024 - 01/24/12 11:28 PM Re: Wife stops moose stomping with shovel [Re: nursemike]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Originally Posted By: nursemike

MD-the shovel is not the solution here. Consider hiring an 85 year old alaskan school teacher to back your play. Local alternative might be an ER night nurse.

I would recommend marrying one, but that might be more hazardous than mucking about with an enraged moose.

That's why I married a pediatrician. They're always happy. laugh

#240027 - 01/24/12 11:58 PM Re: Wife stops moose stomping with shovel [Re: MDinana]
nursemike Offline
Old Hand

Loc: wellington, fl
Originally Posted By: nursemike

That's why I married a pediatrician. They're always happy. laugh

Pediatricians are an excellent choice as survival companions. Wide ranging diagnostic skills, a down to earth clinical approach, boundless patience, and an immune system strengthened by constant exposure to virus-dripping plague monkeys.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 410 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.