Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#238775 - 01/06/12 12:39 PM Bag in a Bag
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: Montanero
One thing I have added to my kits is a small, packable backpack. I attach it if there is not room in the PSK container. My PSKs are so tightly packed that once you pull things out, it is tough to get it all back in. I use the Kiva Keychain backpack, and they come in various colors. My kids' PSKs have orange Kivas. The backpack also aids in collecting useful materials or foraging for edibles. I have recently acquired a Sea to Summit keychain back pack which is just as small packed as the Kiva, but holds a bit more and is more durable.

I've been thinking of adding a bag to my kits for carrying gear, foraged edibles and firestarting materials, and perhaps water. I like Montenaro's suggestion of a packable backpack, and have also been eyeing a Maxpedition Rolly Polly bag.

Any advice or suggestions?

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#238776 - 01/06/12 01:07 PM Re: Bag in a Bag [Re: bacpacjac]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

The Rolly Polly bag is good, Sea to Summit makes a packable daypack that is very small. There are a larger number of "packable daypacks" out there now, but none as small as the Kiva, Rolly Polly or Sea to Summit. it depends on how much space you have to store it.

#238779 - 01/06/12 02:28 PM Re: Bag in a Bag [Re: bacpacjac]
powerring Offline

Try the LL Bean Stowaway or Pocket Daypack. I have the older verison of the Stowaway and it's surprisingly tough. Eddie Bauer makes a similar one that folds into a self-contained pocket.

#238780 - 01/06/12 03:02 PM Re: Bag in a Bag [Re: bacpacjac]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

If you search ( drawstring backpack ) on You Tube, you'll get a ton of clips, like this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZG8KAYwGScs

There are even clips that show you how to make them yourself

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFl9hUpR3hU

#238781 - 01/06/12 03:06 PM Re: Bag in a Bag [Re: bacpacjac]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

I have a few of the L. L. Bean ones, and my kids carry them in their backpacks when camping to have a nice daypack to carry around instead of a full backpack. they don't pack down nearly as small as the Kiva or Sea to Summit, but are much more functional and durable. I have some Marmot and other varieties, they are nice, but do not pack nearly as small as the Kiva. If you are looking for pocket size EDC, the Kiva and Sea to Summit are the best I have found so far. OR makes one you can buy at Walmart for $5 or $6 that packs very small as well.

#238783 - 01/06/12 04:11 PM Re: Bag in a Bag [Re: bacpacjac]
Glock-A-Roo Offline
Old Hand

I think this line of thought is smart and can prove quite useful.

Back in the day, both Kelty and North Face made waist/fanny/lumbar packs that converted into daypacks. A zipped compartment contained the upper pack body and some flat shoulder straps. It was pretty cool but I don't think they're around anymore. In recent years Maxpedition made something similar called the Lochsa pack. It was bulky and heavy, like most Maxped products, and I think they discontinued it.

As long as such a pack's weight/bulk fit your profile it could be a very versatile setup. It would be awesome to have one sewn up with modern materials.

I found some photos of the Kelty item on a Japanese website:

#238784 - 01/06/12 04:29 PM Re: Bag in a Bag [Re: bacpacjac]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Thanks so much guys!

The more I think about it, I realize that I'm actually after 2 bags. 1 to go in my EDC purse and the other for my wilderness kit.

I carry a packable reusable shopping bag in my purse. It has big handles so I can carry it on a shoulder uner an arm, but I would rather have something with proper shoulder straps and a drawstring closure. Something I could throw a jacket or sweater into, or carry groceries more comfortably.

For my wilderness kit, want something that I can wear on my belt, around my waist or that will attach to my pack, so I can forage as I go, without taking off my pack.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#238786 - 01/06/12 04:45 PM Re: Bag in a Bag [Re: bacpacjac]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
REI has the Flash 18 and the "Stuff Travel Pack" for about 30 bucks. For years I have used a Lowe Alpine Attack Summit (how's that for a hairy chested, macho name?) in a variety of ways, including carry on when flying and as a stuff sack that converts to a day pack for side trips when backpacking. A pack of this type is really versatile and handy in many ways.

One might be dubious about the comfort of the mesh straps featured by most packs of this type, but they are surprisingly comfortable, even when slightly overloaded.

#238793 - 01/06/12 06:19 PM Re: Bag in a Bag [Re: bacpacjac]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
Like your thinking. I usually carry gallon and 2.5 gallon zip lock bags and a S2S waterproof bag but not a separate pack. Though I stash a drawstring bag in my front console. I suppose a tight compact bag might fit as well in my EDC backpack

#238796 - 01/06/12 06:34 PM Re: Bag in a Bag [Re: bacpacjac]
Lono Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Pacific NW, USA
I like the look of that Kelty sling pack. For almost any hike of distance I also carry an Outdoor Research summit sack, http://www.outdoorresearch.com/en/or-gear/drycomp-summit-sack-chili-1size-us.html, waterproof, not bulky and light enough to go in another bag. I use it for shorter hikes where my full pack is extraneous, and filling with clothing etc when I want to make doubly sure they stay dry. I find it best for bulky but not heavy items, it doesn't have nearly as much padding or suspension support as a regular pack, but you can sling the summit sack over your other pack, or carry it for a while as a chest-carry sack - although that works best for shorter distances, not a whole hike: situations such as you're toting some gear for a hapless younger Scout who overpacked.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 456 Guests and 71 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.