The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#237050 - 12/08/11 09:56 PM Hunters survive night in woods
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
The headline and first paragraph in the link below, at first glance is a bit misleading but the accompanying news story provides a more detailed narrative of a hunting couple who shot and wounded a moose then get lost trying to track the moose. Once they find it, the moose is skinned and the hide is used to keep the couple warm overnight at temperatures around the freezing point.

A married couple who spent a cold night lost in the woods of western Newfoundland shot a moose calf and used its freshly skinned hide as a life-saving blanket.
Steve and Sheila Joyce of Steady Brook, N.L., were hunting Tuesday afternoon when they wounded the animal and then became disoriented while tracking it through woods between Corner Brook and Bonne Bay.

As dusk fell and the temperature dropped to a few degrees above freezing, they realized they were hopelessly lost.

That's when they suddenly came upon the wounded calf and killed it, a recovering Sheila Joyce said Thursday from their home.
She recalled saying to her husband: "That's a godsend. We could skin it and use the skin to keep warm. And through the night we both kept speaking about how we were so thankful for it.v"We never would have made it through the night because we were both wet, shivery and cold."

Link to full news article.

John Lubbock

#237054 - 12/08/11 11:47 PM Re: Hunters survive night in woods [Re: Teslinhiker]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...
Originally Posted By: Teslinhiker
The headline and first paragraph in the link below, at first glance is a bit misleading but the accompanying news story provides a more detailed narrative of a hunting couple who shot and wounded a moose then get lost trying to track the moose. Once they find it, the moose is skinned and the hide is used to keep the couple warm overnight at temperatures around the freezing point.

A married couple who spent a cold night lost in the woods of western Newfoundland shot a moose calf and used its freshly skinned hide as a life-saving blanket.
Steve and Sheila Joyce of Steady Brook, N.L., were hunting Tuesday afternoon when they wounded the animal and then became disoriented while tracking it through woods between Corner Brook and Bonne Bay.

As dusk fell and the temperature dropped to a few degrees above freezing, they realized they were hopelessly lost.

That's when they suddenly came upon the wounded calf and killed it, a recovering Sheila Joyce said Thursday from their home.
She recalled saying to her husband: "That's a godsend. We could skin it and use the skin to keep warm. And through the night we both kept speaking about how we were so thankful for it.v"We never would have made it through the night because we were both wet, shivery and cold."

Link to full news article.

I have never been to that province, so I googled it to see the landscape and found this video. I hunt remote northern forests with my wife too, and my concern about sheltering in a fresh moose skin is bears. Apparently Newfoundland is known for huge black bears. I don't understand how a couple can hunt the northwoods and not have at least a lighter between them to make a fire. They were lucky that they survived the cold and did not get attacked by a black bear in doing so.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mhg5sOsS_pg

#237055 - 12/08/11 11:56 PM Re: Hunters survive night in woods [Re: Byrd_Huntr]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Probably not a good idea to put aside your survival pack, either.

Since they were tracking the animal, why could they have not backtracked? With a wounded moose and two trackers, there should have been plenty of sign. Of course, i have never tracked in those woods.....

Edited by hikermor (12/09/11 02:21 AM)

#237064 - 12/09/11 01:34 AM Re: Hunters survive night in woods [Re: Teslinhiker]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
What? No map? No compass? No clue?

Hope I not being too hard on them (newspaper articles are famously inaccurate about anything connected to wildness), but it sounds like they went out without much in the way of the basics.

Good move on the Moose "blanket" (although the bear issue could have been very, very bad), but some basics like navigational gear might have prevented even one night in the bush.

HJ

#237073 - 12/09/11 05:09 AM Re: Hunters survive night in woods [Re: Hikin_Jim]
bulletproofvest Offline
Stranger

Loc: New York
Originally Posted By: Hikin_Jim

Exactly! How can they even camp without preparation? It's just insane!

----------
http://www.bulletproofvestshop.com/military-body-armor/

#237076 - 12/09/11 06:09 AM Re: Hunters survive night in woods [Re: Teslinhiker]
Richlacal Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
This get's a Thumbs up from me,they did with what they had where they were.The bears are drowsy,if not hibernating.They learned a Good Lesson,& I'll bet they will be advocates for being prepared to their friends/relatives & that is a Goodthing!

#237083 - 12/09/11 07:51 AM Re: Hunters survive night in woods [Re: Teslinhiker]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Wow. Just wow. Kudos to them for being resourceful but being prepared would have been better. Apparently they traipse around the wilderness with less gear than I carry when going to class.

#237088 - 12/09/11 12:54 PM Re: Hunters survive night in woods [Re: bulletproofvest]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: bulletproofvest
Originally Posted By: Hikin_Jim

Exactly! How can they even camp without preparation? It's just insane!

I read it as they had gear but left it behind to track, thinking that they'd come back to the gear once they found the animal. I'm not a hunter but many of my friends who are seem to do the same thing. They sacrifice preparedness for lightness and mobility, thinking of the tracking as a minor detour where nothing could possibly go wrong. Not being a hunter, maybe I just don't get it, but the post-shoot period seems to be the most dangerous part of the hunt to me - wounded animal, other predators, and an adreniline rush.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#237096 - 12/09/11 03:01 PM Re: Hunters survive night in woods [Re: bulletproofvest]
Hookpunch Offline

not only that, the woman apparently had no survival gear, making the mistake of assuming she and her husband will always be together and he would have the supplies.

#237097 - 12/09/11 03:14 PM Re: Hunters survive night in woods [Re: Teslinhiker]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
This is why I went away from a survival "kit" and go with pocket carry. A kit gets left behind with the rest of the stuff you don't want to be burdened carrying. What's distributed in your pockets is on you, no real convenient way to leave it behind. Take DR's PSP apart and stow the parts in various pockets and you have a pretty darn good EDC.

I have kits, but they're much bigger than typical micro/mini survival kit where you compromise to make everything fit in a certain form factor like it's a game. GHB, Truck/96 hour kit yada yada yada, but if I'm out traipsing around in the backwoods, those small items of survival are in my pockets.

Lost??? Doh, compass/map/GPS (with truck waypoint) -- more stuff that was inconvenient? Haven't we had this conversation?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 150 Guests and 20 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by Ren
Yesterday at 06:35 PM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/13/24 10:09 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
04/04/24 04:19 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by brandtb
04/03/24 08:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.