Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#234921 - 11/01/11 05:09 PM Gerber Hinderer Rescue vs Benchmade 915 Triage
Jesselp Offline
What's Next?
Enthusiast

Loc: New York
The title says it all.

I'm looking to pick up a dedicated "rescue" knife for use in my gear as a volunteer EMT.

Which would you choose and why?

#234922 - 11/01/11 05:17 PM Re: Gerber Hinderer Rescue vs Benchmade 915 Triage [Re: Jesselp]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
I can't figure out what kind of steel is used in the Rescue. The Triage is N680 steel.

If you need an O2 wrench or toolkit with your knife, pick the Rescue. Rick Hinderer is a no-fooling genius with knives, and while I don't own any Gerbers I would not hesitate to buy something with his name on it.

I do have some Benchmades (RitterGrip and RitterMiniGrip), and they're the best folders I have for one-handed blade deployment. You won't often catch me without one of them on me.

For myself, not needing an O2 wrench and being the curator of a collection of multitools (and so not wanting toolkits with folding knives), I would pick the Triage.

#234925 - 11/01/11 05:28 PM Re: Gerber Hinderer Rescue vs Benchmade 915 Triage [Re: chaosmagnet]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
The Gerber Hinderer Rescue blade is 440A Stainless.

My choice in this area and what now resides in the console of my truck is a Spyderco Assist -- VG-10 blade steel.

#234926 - 11/01/11 05:34 PM Re: Gerber Hinderer Rescue vs Benchmade 915 Triage [Re: Jesselp]
Finn Offline

Loc: Colonial Heights, VA
Looked at both and am requesting info from my brother (a Fire Lt.) and my brother from another mother (former Fire Lt.).

However, the nearly $100 price difference is telling. Ouch!

Thanks for alerting me to the existence though, as I'm an aspiring EMT.

Finn

#234940 - 11/01/11 07:28 PM Re: Gerber Hinderer Rescue vs Benchmade 915 Triage [Re: Finn]
Paul810 Offline
Veteran

Loc: NJ, USA
I would go with the Benchmade. Benchmade's quality is as good as ever, while Gerber's has been on a slow decline.

#234965 - 11/02/11 02:47 AM Re: Gerber Hinderer Rescue vs Benchmade 915 Triage [Re: Jesselp]
MarkO Offline

Loc: Oregon
Originally Posted By: Jesselp
The title says it all.

I'm looking to pick up a dedicated "rescue" knife for use in my gear as a volunteer EMT.

Which would you choose and why?

I carry a SpyderCo Assist.

Light, strong, bright orange handle. It has a 'blunt' tip so as to not poke anyone. Serrated part is v.sharp .....

The thumb 'rest' is useful when you're cutting through something while wearing work gloves.

Edited by MarkO (11/02/11 02:48 AM)

#234983 - 11/02/11 01:28 PM Re: Gerber Hinderer Rescue vs Benchmade 915 Triage [Re: Jesselp]
Tyber Offline
Sheriff
Enthusiast

Loc: ST. Paul MN
While I have to admit that I have the Gerber, I would suggest the Benchmade. (Yeah I know)

I can speak from experience having had to use a Benchmade rescue hook that they are amazing and they do exactly what they say they can. I have a tendency to love the Benchmade product but I bought the Gerber on a whim. The Benchmade seems more "real world" as it has a wider mouth (or appears to) than the Gerber.

If you are wearing gloves the Gerber does take the cake.

All in all when the chips are down, I would go with the Benchmade if you can afford it. If not the Gerber is not a shabby choice.

As for the Spyderco, well normally they are AWSOME and with the dedicated hidden window punch that is also pretty cool

Still I would go to the Benchmade if those are your two choices.

#235101 - 11/04/11 06:03 PM Re: Gerber Hinderer Rescue vs Benchmade 915 Triage [Re: Jesselp]
Finn Offline

Loc: Colonial Heights, VA
Hello,

Well, I heard from the Texan. He has the Gerber and keeps his in his truck.
I admit to incline towards that also. The Benchmade is undeniable quslity though.

Finn

#235481 - 11/11/11 02:20 AM Re: Gerber Hinderer Rescue vs Benchmade 915 Triage [Re: Jesselp]
Steve Offline
Journeyman

Loc: North Carolina
I really like the Triage as my EDC. I'm not a first responder, and I have not handled the other knives mentioned, which I'm sure are quite good. I use mine all the time for typical things like cutting boxes or cord and quartering apples. For the latter the blade length is good, and the semi-blunt tip is not as scary to coworkers. The long belly makes for good slicing and the tip is beefy enough to pry with in an emergency. Yet the tip is pointed enough to probably make a fire drill divot easily enough. The glass-breaker and seatbelt-cutter round things out without compromising the primary function as a knife. The G10 scales are grippy, a bit too much for me at first, but pocket wear and burnishing with my thumbnail have made it just right. I'm a big fan of the Axis-Lock mechanism. I had been looking for something larger after carrying a Mini-Griptilian, which is a fine knife, but I wanted something I could hold with all fingers yet was thin enough to pocket comfortably. It is substantial in construction. The reviews on YouTube are worth watching.

Steve

#235487 - 11/11/11 05:13 AM Re: Gerber Hinderer Rescue vs Benchmade 915 Triage [Re: Jesselp]
Matt26 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Vermont
In the six years I was an EMT I never needed a knife. Whatever I needed cut I could cut with my EMT shears. As a volunteer FF I have needed a knife just once in 22 years. It doesn't really matter what blade you have. Purchase the best one you can afford to loose on a chaotic scene and not have a heart attack when you do loose it. I do recommend a sheeps foot blade though.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Ren), 395 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.