Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#231893 - 09/11/11 04:39 PM A Simple addition to your survival fishing kit
kristina27 Offline

Walmart a great place to find things for random uses. On this particular trip I found myself in the hardware department. Browsing the nails and hooks. I came upon small eye hooks and a light bulb came on. Would it be useful to include two or three in survival fishing kit. They could be used to make shift a fishing rod using a stick or branch of some sort. The eye hooks would act as line guides on the stick. In my mind this would work best if your fishing line was on a spool like a bobbin. Just a thought

#231897 - 09/11/11 04:51 PM Re: A Simple addition to your survival fishing kit [Re: kristina27]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
You don't need to have a reel on your improvised fishing pole, just tie the line on the end. If you catch something, pull it in with your hands, or if you're on shore, just back up.

If you have just one reel of fishing line in your kit, and you attach the whole thing to your fishing pole, you could lose the whole thing if you dropped it (or a big fish pulled it out of your hands!)

As is often said, Plan for the Worst, Hope for the Best, and don't put all your eggs in one basket.

Kristina, I see that you are like me... hardware dept: "What ELSE could this be used for?"

Sue

#231904 - 09/11/11 07:13 PM Re: A Simple addition to your survival fishing kit [Re: Susan]
kristina27 Offline

Originally Posted By: Susan
You don't need to have a reel on your improvised fishing pole, just tie the line on the end. If you catch something, pull it in with your hands, or if you're on shore, just back up.

If you have just one reel of fishing line in your kit, and you attach the whole thing to your fishing pole, you could lose the whole thing if you dropped it (or a big fish pulled it out of your hands!)

As is often said, Plan for the Worst, Hope for the Best, and don't put all your eggs in one basket.

Kristina, I see that you are like me... hardware dept: "What ELSE could this be used for?"

Sue

Very true about the reel and the possibility of loosing line in this way. The eye hooks are my real interest. I have seen lots of makeshift survival fishing rigs. The hobo can. The pc pipe one. I think the eye hooks would help with the line. Your right no need for a reel and the cons out weight the pros to Not including the makeshift reel. But I still like a bobbin for storing the line in my PSK. The eye hooks serve as a way to make the process easier granted there are sticks too use. Feed it through and have a little extra line when tied to the end. It's not a perfect concept but even so the included eye hooks could be of use somewhere else. as well. This is just the first idea I came up with.

#231905 - 09/11/11 07:20 PM Re: A Simple addition to your survival fishing kit [Re: kristina27]
M_a_x Offline
Veteran

Loc: Germany
Before you use the eye hook for guiding the line, it would be a good idea to test whether the surface is smooth enough to guide the line instead of damaging it.
A good stick for a fishing rod would be rather elastic and thin. Attaching an eye hook may not be easy. So at least perform a test before adding it to a survival fishing kit.

#231915 - 09/11/11 08:21 PM Re: A Simple addition to your survival fishing kit [Re: M_a_x]
kristina27 Offline

Originally Posted By: M_a_x
Before you use the eye hook for guiding the line, it would be a good idea to test whether the surface is smooth enough to guide the line instead of damaging it.
A good stick for a fishing rod would be rather elastic and thin. Attaching an eye hook may not be easy. So at least perform a test before adding it to a survival fishing kit.

Someone should always test something before it goes into a PSK. I am planning on testing but it's a new work in progress. Something that crossed my brain and just had to share. Getting feed back always help.

#231919 - 09/11/11 09:46 PM Re: A Simple addition to your survival fishing kit [Re: kristina27]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Good concept Christina. I like to idea thst there could be other uses too.

campsite invader alert system?

rigging lines for a shelter? (seems a little finickety)

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#231921 - 09/11/11 10:08 PM Re: A Simple addition to your survival fishing kit [Re: Susan]
Eric Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Iowa
Originally Posted By: Susan

Sue

My wife accuses me of having a slightly different variation of this when I go through the hardware dept. or worse, hardware store: "Just think of ALL THE THINGS this can be used for!"

Of course she also accuses me of having studied engineering under Rube Goldberg too. I'm sure she means that as a compliment ... right ?

- Eric

#231924 - 09/11/11 10:43 PM Re: A Simple addition to your survival fishing kit [Re: Eric]
thseng Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NW NJ
I have sort of the opposite problem, I ask myself that question when I'm about to throw something away. "Hmmmm, I might build something with this one day..."

"Never trust and engineer who doesn't carry a pocketknife."

#231928 - 09/11/11 11:01 PM Re: A Simple addition to your survival fishing kit [Re: kristina27]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

This sounds like a good idea but in reality I suspect would be of limited use. I would just add more line (use braided line such as Powerline Pro over mono filament for double/triple the test strength), as many fishing hooks as possible, more lures, swivels and sinkers etc. Not having enough line is common mistake.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vz0pVyzTAoI

Without a proper reel and rod, casting becomes very difficult (trying to emulate a proper rod without a reel would just end in a tangle of line mess) so if your not using the following hobo style of fishing;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvRR5MTBBQI

then a trot line would probably be the most productive way of fishing with as many small hooks as possible.

http://www.catfishbaitsoap.com/trotline_shallowtodeep.html

#231932 - 09/11/11 11:25 PM Re: A Simple addition to your survival fishing kit [Re: thseng]
Eric Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Iowa
Originally Posted By: thseng
I have sort of the opposite problem, I ask myself that question when I'm about to throw something away. "Hmmmm, I might build something with this one day..."

I think understand the individual words but am not sure I get the concept - what is "about to throw something away" ? Just think of all the things you "need" it for!!!

- Eric

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.