The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#231746 - 09/09/11 01:25 PM Nothing is Perfect - A Bear Spray Incident
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Always know where you are sitting... (from the NPS Morning Report)

Today's Report | Recent Editions
Thursday, September 08, 2011

Grand Teton National Park (WY)
VC Evacuated Following Accidental Bear Spray Discharge

As a park ranger was greeting visitors for a morning program in the Colter Bay auditorium this past Tuesday, a man sat down on what was apparently his unsecured can of bear spray, causing the can to discharge its contents of highly irritating spray into the room. The irritating element in bear spray is oleoresin capsicum, the same element in the pepper spray carried by law enforcement rangers but with a higher percentage of the irritant. The ranger immediately recognized what had happened and directed all the occupants to the emergency exits. The visitor who accidently discharged the bear spray ran from the room and building. Park emergency personnel were notified of the incident, as the building's air handling systems moved the residual pepper spray into the main lobby. The first arriving units found approximately 20 employees and visitors in the main lobby coughing and experiencing other side effects from the pepper spray. Incident command was established and the building was evacuated, after which structural fire personnel in full PPE began ventilating the building and emergency medical staff evaluated both employees and visitors. All the affected individuals declined medical treatment. Visitor services were continued through the day at portable tables in front of the visitor center while cleanup was begun by facility management staff. Cleanup presented a challenging task, though, as the irritant is dispersed in an oil-based aerosol that attaches to any surface it contacts, including vinyl, plastics, carpeting, clothing and human skin. The cooperating association bagged and sealed many soft items, such as t-shirts and stuffed animals, for decontamination at a later date. Rangers were unsuccessful in locating the person who discharged the bear spray, but statements from the interpreter in the room and other visitors indicate that the discharge was accidental. The visitor center was reopened on Wednesday.
[Submitted by Patrick Hattaway, North District Ranger/Incident Commander]

#231755 - 09/09/11 04:15 PM Re: Nothing is Perfect - A Bear Spray Incident [Re: hikermor]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
*sigh* *shakes head*

I guess everyone should be glad the guy wasn't carrying a pistol.

Sue

#231763 - 09/09/11 05:30 PM Re: Nothing is Perfect - A Bear Spray Incident [Re: Susan]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
In Alaska a lot of people carry bear spray, for obvious reasons. This presents a serious hazard when riding on small aircraft or other vehicles. If a bear spray discharged in the cockpit of a bush plane, it could easily lead to a tragic crash.

Float plane pilots will require you to put the spray in a cargo hatch in one of the floats. In the SAR group I volunteer with we sometimes ride in the State Trooper's helicopter. They have a 50 Cal ammo can (the steel kind that seal tightly) where we are required to put our spray when we get aboard. When I ride the tranit buses to go hiking in Denali National Park, I always bury the spray deep inside my pack until off the bus.

I have been told that UV light breaks down the active ingrediants in pepper spray. Obviously this doesn't help when it is discharged indoors.

#231765 - 09/09/11 05:50 PM Re: Nothing is Perfect - A Bear Spray Incident [Re: hikermor]
BruceZed Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Canada
The skin (normally very thin aluminum) of the containers are quite thin, I have seen two discharge due to puncture. Fortunately I owned neither of them and they were not in my car or within 20m of me at the time.

I now always check to see that my Bear Spray is securely inside a pocket of my pack before stowing it in a car, not dangling on a belt to be; dropped, sat on or have something dropped on.
boreal.net

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (NAro), 232 Guests and 95 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Today at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.