Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#231452 - 09/05/11 06:14 PM Camping and Lightning
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
http://www.theprovince.com/mobile/news/n...4323/story.html

What do you do to keep yourself safe during a storm?

What the NOLA says mimacs what Ive been taught:

*Remember that if you're outdoors are are never really safe
*If camping, hiking, etc., far from a safe vehicle or building, avoid open fields, the top of a hill or a ridge top.
*Stay away from tall, isolated trees or other tall objects. If you are in a forest, stay near a lower stand of trees.
*If you are camping in an open area, set up camp in a valley, ravine or other low area. Remember, a tent offers NO protection from lighting.
*Stay away from water, wet items (such as ropes) and metal objects (such as fences and poles). Water and metal are excellent conductors of electricity. The current from a lightning flash will easily travel for long distance

Edited by bacpacjac (09/05/11 06:30 PM)

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#231463 - 09/05/11 10:15 PM Re: Camping and Lightning [Re: bacpacjac]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
So camp on high ground to avoid getting flooded out, and camp on lower ground to keep from getting fried by lightning. Got it laugh.

#231465 - 09/05/11 10:47 PM Re: Camping and Lightning [Re: bacpacjac]
LED Offline
Veteran

Good reminder bacpacjac. And if you're caught in a relatively open space, like right after a summit:

-sit on your sleeping pad with knees to your chest

-spread out your group

#231467 - 09/05/11 11:34 PM Re: Camping and Lightning [Re: bacpacjac]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
"The current from a lightning strike will easily travel a long distance"

Ah, yes! Many years ago, i was repairing a back country telephone line at Saguaro Nat'l Monument (now Park). I paid no attention whatsoever to a lightning storm playing over a peak a bit over five miles distant; that is, until I got a warning tingle over the line - nothing big, but definitely a shock. i put away my tools until another day.

I have been caught is several lightning storms and "assumed the position - balanced on my toes, making as rounded a profile as possible, with my fingers crossed, hoping I will get through the storm...

#231470 - 09/06/11 12:45 AM Re: Camping and Lightning [Re: bacpacjac]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Also, many people assume lightning only strikes downward, which isn't true. Lightning can also strike sideways, onto that veranda, or into an open car window.

Sue

#231471 - 09/06/11 01:25 AM Re: Camping and Lightning [Re: bacpacjac]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
A lightning strike can also throw shrapnel.

Back in my misspent youth my girlfriend and I were backpacking in the Cascades. Long story short, a bolt hit a ~2 ft diameter tree not far from us. Big vertical strips of bark and wood about 1-2 inches thick and 3-4 ft long were hurled in all directions. Had one hit either of us they were big and heavy enough to be painful for sure, and possibly to seriously injure. The trail we were on passed close enough to the tree to touch it, had we been a few seconds sooner we would have been right next to the tree when the bolt hit!

The really scary thing was that there was nothing that would have made you expect this tree would be the one to get hit. It was one of hundreds of trees, fairly close together and all about the same height. Since then I've always been paranoid about lightning.

It pays to be lucky, I guess.

#231512 - 09/06/11 03:18 PM Re: Camping and Lightning [Re: AKSAR]
BruceZed Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Canada
Lighting is actually one of the biggest killers in the wilderness. It kills on a average of 7.5 Canadians per year, far more than the 1.4 per year killed by Bears.

It is also very powerful. I came across this tree in a cut block the morning after a very powerful storm in the Rocky Mountain foothills. This popular tree was shattered by lighting and shards were driven 30cm into the ground over 25m away. The man-sized shard I am standing beside was drive over 30cm into solid soil and was one of hundreds scattered around the tree. I could not pull out this shard. I actually kept another smaller shard of this tree just as a reminder of the true power of lighting. I was happy to have been camping in low ground over 2km from this point.

boreal.net

#231516 - 09/06/11 03:40 PM Re: Camping and Lightning [Re: BruceZed]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Originally Posted By: BruceZed
Lighting is actually one of the biggest killers in the wilderness. It kills on a average of 7.5 Canadians per year, far more than the 1.4 per year killed by Bears.

Man, I'm glad I'm not Canadian!

I kid, I kid. Those are impressive photos. I thought those were saplings that got split by lightning, not shards of a tree! Geez!

#231525 - 09/06/11 04:09 PM Re: Camping and Lightning [Re: bacpacjac]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
I live in the lightning strike capital of the US (Tampa Bay area)...with luck you will be able to feel the charge build up (hair on end) as a warning...decrease the surface area of your body by dropping to a squatting position, with head tucked between knees....decrease the contact surface with the ground by rolling to the balls of your feet...

#231530 - 09/06/11 04:49 PM Re: Camping and Lightning [Re: bacpacjac]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
I've been thinking about getting one for a while, but this thread finally gave me the ooomf to buy a lightning detecter. That will at least tell me how much at risk I am.

Pretty cool technology.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle), 458 Guests and 108 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.