Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#230874 - 08/28/11 10:48 PM Thinking About Making A Storm Go Bag.
Frisket Offline
Addict

So I already have Two Go bags and a go bucket'O'Food but when I heard of the hurricane not a single thought of grabbing them has occurred to me. What has came up in my mind is the things I dont have in my BOB and how I still dont want them in my BoB. SO what are they?

A Big Bowsaw A Hand Axe a Sharpening stone some wd40/3in1 Oil maybe a hammer pretty much tools and surge protecting electronics. In a sense things to get me around or threw Fallen Trees and limbs, Debris, And Vehicles But mostly for the Trees since this is a common occurrence for me with the abundance of Old and weakening Trees around me.

Has anyone else thought about creating more then one Bob/Go Bag for different situations in which one specific bag would be overkill/Under Suited?

#230878 - 08/28/11 11:11 PM Re: Thinking About Making A Storm Go Bag. [Re: Frisket]
Frisket Offline
Addict

Good Idea It would be Safer as well on a gravel Driveway.

Edited by Frisket (08/28/11 11:11 PM)

#230880 - 08/28/11 11:47 PM Re: Thinking About Making A Storm Go Bag. [Re: Frisket]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I bought one of the new porter cable 19v kits that lowes has on sale every now and then. 19v reciprocating saw, drill, flashlight and circular saw in a duffel bag. I've added a jigsaw and want to add a couple more tools. Bought an assortment of drill/screwdriver bits, jog saw blades and reciprocating saw blades and keep them in there, then a couple boxes of screws of various lengths, construction or decking. If you have to put something back together or cover something with plywood so construction screws will be very handy, keep them right there with the drill/driver.
I have a weekly reminder to charge batteries, I charge my electric razor and items that get used inside the house and stick one of the batteries in the drill charger then too so I make sure they are always topped off if I should need them.

#230884 - 08/29/11 12:05 AM Re: Thinking About Making A Storm Go Bag. [Re: Frisket]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...
Originally Posted By: Frisket
So I already have Two Go bags and a go bucket'O'Food but when I heard of the hurricane not a single thought of grabbing them has occurred to me. What has came up in my mind is the things I dont have in my BOB and how I still dont want them in my BoB. SO what are they?

A Big Bowsaw A Hand Axe a Sharpening stone some wd40/3in1 Oil maybe a hammer pretty much tools and surge protecting electronics. In a sense things to get me around or threw Fallen Trees and limbs, Debris, And Vehicles But mostly for the Trees since this is a common occurrence for me with the abundance of Old and weakening Trees around me.

Has anyone else thought about creating more then one Bob/Go Bag for different situations in which one specific bag would be overkill/Under Suited?

I have carried a collapsible bow saw, a hatchet, and a tow strap in my truck for years. I have had to use them several times during or after wind storms or ice storms to clear fallen trees off the road to get out of the woods.

#230885 - 08/29/11 12:21 AM Re: Thinking About Making A Storm Go Bag. [Re: Byrd_Huntr]
Lono Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Pacific NW, USA
Stihl Farm Boss (MS 290) for me. why dick around with manual saws when you can apply a bit of power...

#230886 - 08/29/11 12:45 AM Re: Thinking About Making A Storm Go Bag. [Re: Frisket]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
I have some tools that are not necessarily dedicated to tropical storms, but have been used in past storms, and some lessons learned

I cut/painted/installed plywood for 27 windows for 04 with a corded drill with screwdriver bit and circular saw... installed with Phillips headed screws...managing the extension cord was time consuming without exterior power boxes... upgraded to a good 18v Rigid cordless with a push operated Stanley "yankee screwdriver " for backup... #25 TorX deck screws are much easier to install and removed as they are gripped by the drive bit better

5/16" chain with hooked ends to move downed limbs, "U" clevis to securely attach chain to riding mower... frame mounted hitch on Explorer

machete, bow saw, rough cut hand saw with agressive set, hooked pruning saw on 20' pole...gasoline chain saw replaced by electric chain saw, heavy duty external power cord... subsequently a portable 3500w gas generator

generator fueled by bulb siphon fuel line to facilitating fueling from 5 or 6 gal spare cans

upgrade 12v battery charger ...2 12v car batteries for fans and portable TV...working on GoalZero 7w charger capability as backup

blue tarps, roofing mastic, and firring strips to attach tarps...cans of spray foam seal, even when wet

adapter to fill 1# propane bottles from 25# bulk tank and hose adapter...3 tanks

2x4 precut to brace garage door... back car against it for bracing

I choose to use Dietz kerosine lanterns for lighting...difficult to shave by

citronella bucket candle for bug relief

good framing hammer, fence pliers, diagonal wire cutters, ViseGrip pliers, slip joint ChannelLoc pliers, US and metric box, open end and socket set,large pipe wrench... assorted 8d and 16d nails and roofing nails...I carry a multitool during the event

my storm specific supplies are in a Sears plastic roll around tool chest w/extending handle to keep them somewhat located...first aid...sleeping bag sit on top

#230888 - 08/29/11 01:44 AM Re: Thinking About Making A Storm Go Bag. [Re: ]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
Originally Posted By: Eugene
I bought one of the new porter cable 19v kits that lowes has on sale every now and then. 19v reciprocating saw, drill, flashlight and circular saw in a duffel bag. I've added a jigsaw and want to add a couple more tools. Bought an assortment of drill/screwdriver bits, jog saw blades and reciprocating saw blades and keep them in there, then a couple boxes of screws of various lengths, construction or decking. If you have to put something back together or cover something with plywood so construction screws will be very handy, keep them right there with the drill/driver.
I have a weekly reminder to charge batteries, I charge my electric razor and items that get used inside the house and stick one of the batteries in the drill charger then too so I make sure they are always topped off if I should need them.

Hmm. That brings up the question. If you can pack a duffle of sorts with power tools for bug out or emergency situations.

Exactly. My whole setup is portable.

Before the 19v PC kit I had my 9.6V makita in one of these
http://www.stanleytools.com/default.asp?TYPE=CATEGORY&CATEGORY=ZAG+ROLLING+WORK

Which can be found at Home Depot for < $50. But I've found I'm starting to like the soft bags better as they can be stuffed into tighter places.

http://www.portercable.com/Products/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=20725 is what I have now.

If we were to bug out I can toss it in the truck or camper. Thats why I added in the bits/blades and screws have everything I need. I can screw on some plywood or a tarp or a downed gutter or downspout or a door that was ripped from its frame (they usually have short screws that can just rip right out). Basically screw anything back together or and screw on temporary coverings.

This all fits into my layered approach. I'm thinking about getting a larger duffel tool bag because this one it tight with my additions and I could put some of my basic hand tools in it too if it were larger.

I have two five gallon buckets, one with electrical parts and tools and one with plumbing parts and tools so I can grab one of those to make repairs to either if needed.

In my truck I keep a set of tools specific to it (metric wrenches, sockets, etc) as well as some spare parts such as fuses and bulbs so if we would have to go I have some gear there too.

Edited by Eugene (08/29/11 01:56 AM)

#230891 - 08/29/11 01:51 AM Re: Thinking About Making A Storm Go Bag. [Re: Frisket]
Mark_M Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New Jersey
Don't the batteries for the saw loose power in storage? And what is the runtime? I haven't used a battery-operated reciprocating saw in years because of battery issues.

#230893 - 08/29/11 01:58 AM Re: Thinking About Making A Storm Go Bag. [Re: Frisket]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

These don't have great run time and yes batteries so loose power, thats why I drop one in the charger weekly.

#230957 - 08/29/11 06:19 PM Re: Thinking About Making A Storm Go Bag. [Re: ]
Tyber Offline
Sheriff
Enthusiast

Loc: ST. Paul MN
Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
One thing that I have yet to get as part of my "post-storm cleanup" tool kit is a battery operated reciprocating saw. I believe it was someone here on the boards that recommended one of them. Put on one of the long pruning blades and it'll get you through most debris. It's a lot safer for storage than a chainsaw and so long as you have two batteries (always charged, of course) you're good to go.

Food for thought.

Izzy:

Great point, also if you don't know how to operate a chain saw.. DON'T use one either during or after a storm. If you "think you know" still dont' run a chain saw. They are great powerfull toools that can do amazing work in short order, they can also mess up your day in even shorter order. The logistics of getting EMS when you make a small oops with a chainsaw cold be truly life thretening.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Doug_Ritter), 369 Guests and 22 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.