Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#229162 - 08/04/11 08:36 PM Efficacy of Unsealed Chlorine Dioxide Tablets
NuggetHoarder Offline

Loc: Appalachians
Does anyone know the efficacy of chlorine dioxide tablets once they are removed from the foil wrapper?

I have some Katadyn Micropur MP1 tablets that I have removed from the foil wrappers and placed into a metal capsule that has an o-ring and I carry it around my neck. The capsule will hold 8 tablets. The o-ring is pretty soft and weak. I'm not so sure that they will stay airtight, but we'll see.

Have any of you tested something like this? If not, I'll wear them around my neck and then try to figure out some kind of test at Christmas time. I'm wearing the necklace now, and I don't plan on taking it off even in showers. Not sure how I could set up an experiment in my house though. I'm not exactly set up for biological experiments, lol. Any suggestions for creating a test environment would be welcome. Doesn't a Miox filter come with test strips? Maybe that would work?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000P91E4C/

#229182 - 08/05/11 12:26 AM Re: Efficacy of Unsealed Chlorine Dioxide Tablets [Re: NuggetHoarder]
IAMALIVE Offline
Stranger

NuggetHoarder,

I have the same tablets that I bought 4-5 years ago. It's been stored in my various EDC bags and Bug Out Bags I have.

All of my tablets are still tighly sealed- even all crinkled up
in smaller containers.

I would worry about the risk to have them exposed to any moisture should the seals of those tubes failed.

The tablets releases Chlorine Dioxide once in contact with water ( according to Katadyn's site).
Any moisture on those tablets will activate it and who knows what other reactions the tablets will have on the tubes
itself.

We all know what chlorine does to some metals.

I'd advise leaving them in the original package.
If the tubes can fit the foil wrapper and tablets, try stuffing them in there carefully as a roll.

#229191 - 08/05/11 01:02 AM Re: Efficacy of Unsealed Chlorine Dioxide Tablets [Re: NuggetHoarder]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Leave the tablets in the foil packets as any exposure to air and humidity/moisture will effectively ruin them.

IIRC, there was a post on backpacker.com (or another hiking website) a few years ago and a company Rep gave a few more details on the whys of not opening the foil packets until needed.

John Lubbock

#229237 - 08/05/11 02:30 PM Re: Efficacy of Unsealed Chlorine Dioxide Tablets [Re: NuggetHoarder]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

GIven that tabs require water and a container to work; I might carry a lighter instead. You will still need water and a container plus fuel to make it drinkable, but the lighter is multi purpose, you can test it frequently and is a similar size.

#229264 - 08/05/11 05:48 PM Re: Efficacy of Unsealed Chlorine Dioxide Tablets [Re: NuggetHoarder]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
I have not been able to find any definitive instruction from Katadyn about NOT re-packaging the tablets, but chlorine dioxide is highly reactive and I don't think they would be individually packaged in these really sturdy foil pouches if the manufacturer didn't want to keep them isolated from oxygen, moisture, sunlight, etc.

Just my educated guess, but I highly doubt that your re-packaged MP1 tablets will last very long. One of the selling points of MP1 is their effectiveness against Giardia and crypto, but I definitely wouldn't depend on those tablets to kill these tough buggers if that is one of your goals. They may work "okay" on easier to kill stuff, but how long they maintain that level of killing power, who knows?

#229272 - 08/05/11 07:50 PM Re: Efficacy of Unsealed Chlorine Dioxide Tablets [Re: Arney]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Originally Posted By: Arney
I have not been able to find any definitive instruction from Katadyn about NOT re-packaging the tablets, but chlorine dioxide is highly reactive and I don't think they would be individually packaged in these really sturdy foil pouches if the manufacturer didn't want to keep them isolated from oxygen, moisture, sunlight, etc.

I emailed Katadyn Products for an up to date official answer on this and I will post their response here.

John Lubbock

#229336 - 08/06/11 05:52 PM Re: Efficacy of Unsealed Chlorine Dioxide Tablets [Re: NuggetHoarder]
jshannon Offline
Addict

Loc: North Texas
The tablets will be good for a few hours at best.

#229339 - 08/06/11 06:44 PM Re: Efficacy of Unsealed Chlorine Dioxide Tablets [Re: jshannon]
NuggetHoarder Offline

Originally Posted By: jshannon
The tablets will be good for a few hours at best.

Can you back that up with anything? I grew up around swimming pools and we used to buy powdered chlorine dioxide. We left it in open containers and it stayed open to the air for weeks at a time and sometimes would be caked with moisture from the air. Even still, a couple of scoops could turn a green pool clear in about one hour.

#229412 - 08/08/11 07:45 AM Re: Efficacy of Unsealed Chlorine Dioxide Tablets [Re: NuggetHoarder]
adam2 Offline
Addict

Loc: Somerset UK
I very much doubt that the tablets will be any good if removed from the original packaging for any significant time.

Rather than debate or argument I would urge an experiment.
These tablets are intended to release chlorine when dissolved in water, if they have deterioted then no, or insufficient chlorine will be released.
Dissolve one tablet in the correct volume of water as per the instructions.
Test the resultant chlorine level using test papers sold for the purpose, I could recomend a UK supplier, but presume that they can be obtained locally.

#229421 - 08/08/11 11:37 AM Re: Efficacy of Unsealed Chlorine Dioxide Tablets [Re: adam2]
NuggetHoarder Offline

Originally Posted By: adam2
Rather than debate or argument I would urge an experiment.

Well that was the original post of this thread. The experiment will take place at Christmas time - 5 months after opening the foil. I plan to use the MIOX filter strips for the test.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 442 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.