Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#227646 - 07/11/11 05:17 PM Plant recognition and use
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

this is primarily directed toward Blast as he seems to know a great deal about using wild plants for food and other purposes. However, information from anyone is very welcome.

I travel extensively to various parts of the world. I have seen many similar types of plants and trees in many parts of the world. Is there a book, school, method or any other resource for learning about plants and their uses without focusing exclusively on a particular region? If a worldwide resource is not available, is there something which can be used for a broad region (continent, hemisphere)?

I appreciate all the help.

#227654 - 07/11/11 07:02 PM Re: Plant recognition and use [Re: gonewiththewind]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
There are two books I would recommend to you to meet your needs. The first is Thomas Elpel's Botany in a Day and the second is the U.S. Army's Complete Guide to Edible Wild Plants.

Thomas Elpel's book is designed to help you identify plants based on the shared characteristics of the different plant families. Each day you learn the identifying markers of a new class of plants, by the end you can quickly tell from a glance what family a plant is in regardless of where in the world you are. Knowing this makes determination of a plant's edibility much easier. For a better taste (ha ha ha!) of Elpel's book check out his website Wildflowers and Weeds.

I think the U.S. Army book will also be useful to you as it covers common edible plants world-wide, not just the northeastern part of the USA.

Hope these help.
-Blast

Disclaimer: purchasing either of those books from the links I posted will result in me earning about 24 cents per book.
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#227660 - 07/11/11 07:50 PM Re: Plant recognition and use [Re: gonewiththewind]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

Thanks Blast, that is exactly what I was looking for. I am surprised I had never seen the Army book before. It is a skill I really need to work on.

#227662 - 07/11/11 08:58 PM Re: Plant recognition and use [Re: gonewiththewind]
NuggetHoarder Offline

Loc: Appalachians
You asked for methods... Here's a method for testing plants on the fly...

1) Identify an abundant plant. The length of the testing process makes this pointless if you
don't have enough of the plant on hand to chow down on.
2) Consider each part of the plant as a separate entity requiring its own test. On some plants,
the leaves may be edible but the roots poisonous. Don't assume that one part passing the test
means all parts are edible. Plants should be broken down into roots, stems, leaves, buds,
flowers and berries. Again, use the abundance criteria here. If there are a lot of a type of
plant available and a lot of leaves on that plant, test only the leaves at first. Also choose
healthy plants. Avoid rotting or bug-infested plants and three-leafed plants such as poison
ivy.
3) Smell the plant parts. Avoid anything that smells like almonds or acid. Also avoid anything
that oozes a milky substance. These are not certain indicators of toxicity, but far too often
imply the plant is not edible so best to avoid them entirely.
4) Next rub the plant against a sensitive part of your skin (not your lips) such as the inside of
your elbow or behind your knee. Make sure to rub it in good so that the juices get on your
skin. If you have no immediate reaction, hold the plant against that part of your skin for
10-20 minutes. Now wait for at least 8 hours. If you do not have a reaction, move on to the
next test.
5) Prepare the plant part as you plan to eat it (raw, boiled, etc.) Touch a small part of the
plant against your lip for three minutes. If you do not experience burning, stinging, tingling,
itching or other discomfort, move on to the next test.
6) Place another portion on your tongue and leave it there. DO NOT CHEW OR
SWALLOW. If you experience no adverse symptoms after 15 minutes, chew the piece well
and hold it in your mouth for another 15 minutes. Again, DO NOT SWALLOW. Assuming
you've still experienced no adverse symptoms, swallow the piece. Adverse symptoms consist
of burning, itching, numbness, swelling, tingling or stinging.
7) Wait 8 hours. If all is well after 8 hours, eat a small portion of the plant. Not a meal, just a
very light snack portion of less than a ½ cup and wait another 8 hours. If you still feel fine,
you can assume the part of the plant you have been testing is ok to eat. If you experience any
ill effects at any point after ingesting the plant, immediately induce vomiting and consume as
much water as you can.

I got the above from http://www.breakawayadventure.com/Survival%20-%20Plants.html

#227665 - 07/11/11 09:54 PM Re: Plant recognition and use [Re: gonewiththewind]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

That is the normal method of testing for consumption when you don't know the plants. It is a good method. What I am trying to do is learn to recognize and identify the types of plants that are useful for many different things (cordage, medicines, foods, etc.). Where I am week is in the general knowledge of what plants are useful for what and how to find them. I am also trying to learn what types, or families, of plants are found in what regions where I travel so I can learn what to expect to be able to find. Then I will be learning how to process and prepare them for use. It is a bit of a long term thing, but I was cursed with the curiosity of a 5 year old and feel that a day I don't learn something is a day wasted. Thanks for the site!

#227666 - 07/11/11 10:02 PM Re: Plant recognition and use [Re: NuggetHoarder]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: NuggetHoarder

*snip*
I got the above from http://www.breakawayadventure.com/Survival%20-%20Plants.html

I don't have time to go into detail but this is actually a LOUSY way to identify edible plants.

I'll write more after tonight's face-to-face meeting of ETS members here in Houston.
-Blast
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#227669 - 07/11/11 10:30 PM Re: Plant recognition and use [Re: Blast]
Paul810 Offline
Veteran

Loc: NJ, USA
The funny thing is, I can identify quite few wild plants. Unfortunately, the ones I can typically find and identify aren't usually edible. crazy

With that said, on a recent hike, I think I did find some wild raspberries though. I wasn't going to try them at the time, because with my luck they would be some kind of poisonous raspberry-resembling plant and the kids I was hiking with would have had to carry my heavy butt out of there, but I'm pretty sure they were raspberries.

#227673 - 07/11/11 11:03 PM Re: Plant recognition and use [Re: Paul810]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
I seem to have a number of aquaintances who believe plants "talk" to them about their edible and medicinal properties, whether they identify a plant or not. Their routine includes closed eye exploration of the scent, feel, taste, sound of the plant rubbing on one's cheek and hand, and then open-sensed [including intuitive and spirit based] appreciation of the plant as a whole and how it fits into its environment. Me, I like plant guides.

#227682 - 07/12/11 02:17 AM Re: Plant recognition and use [Re: NuggetHoarder]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: NuggetHoarder
*SNIP*

A lot of survival guides give this method but there are several problems with it. The first is that it's usually presented as what to do if you are lost and starving. However if you read through the directions you will hopefully realize that it will take 1-2 weeks just to examine the roots, stem, leaves, and fruit of one plant and during that time you can't eat anything else as that brings too many variables into play so if you have a reaction you won't be able to tell which plant material caused it.
Second, have you ever tried to hold something in your mouth for fifteen minutes (actually thirty minutes total!) without swallowing anything, especially if you are really hungry?
Third it doesn't test more subtle but deadly poisons such as from pokeweed, many legumes, etc.
Fourth, many poisons are not "contact" poisons but must be consumed to cause injury. At the same there are many plants that contain contact poisons which are easily removed by cooking or other native preparation method.
Fifth, if you do find some unknown, "nontoxic" plant that passes these tests there's still a very good chance that all you do is fill your stomach with matter that you can not digest which can lead to other medical issues, of which "the runs" is the most benign. Imagine a stomach full of grass. Most (not all) grasses will pass these tests but your body can't get any useful nutrition from them. However, filling your stomach with grass can interfere with your ability to digest other nutritional foods if you find some.

Seriously folks, just forget about this method unless you have a platoon of disposable(!) troops on which to experiment. It's bad advice written by armchair experts.

-Blast

Edited by Blast (07/12/11 02:17 AM)

#227687 - 07/12/11 03:26 AM Re: Plant recognition and use [Re: gonewiththewind]
NuggetHoarder Offline

Loc: Appalachians
good points Blast. Glad you brought that up.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 411 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.